All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has diabetes so he would qualify as that. You’re misunderstanding my points. There are 350 million in the US. 1000 cases in total. And panic is ensuing as you see at grocery stores etc is unnecessary and insane. Not sure how you can disagree with that.
I don’t disagree with your point on panic buying of toilet paper etc. That’s just dumb. Thank goodness no one is panic buying scotch!
I do agree, however, with actions intended to limit inadvertent “community” transmission of the virus such as at large gathering where people who may not even know they have the virus pass it on to someone like your Dad. Just read on a US news feed that a traced spread contact string from one New York lawyer involves 50 people and growing.

My dad has diabetes so he would qualify as that. You’re misunderstanding my points. There are 350 million in the US. 1000 cases in total. And panic is ensuing as you see at grocery stores etc is unnecessary and insane. Not sure how you can disagree with that.

Wuhan itself only had 1000 cases at one time. Now it’s a global pandemic with the cases increasing exponentially. Hospitals in heavily affected areas like Italy are full and doctors say they havent seen anything like it before. They built an emergency make shift hospital in Wuhan to help deal with the ill.
It took nearly three months from the initial outbreak for the virus to peak in Wuhan. If it goes the same way in North America and we’re just at the beginning... you’re going to wish you had of stocked up on some toilet paper lol

Wuhan itself only had 1000 cases at one time. Now it’s a global pandemic with the cases increasing exponentially. Hospitals in heavily affected areas like Italy are full and doctors say they havent seen anything like it before. They built an emergency make shift hospital in Wuhan to help deal with the ill.
It took nearly three months from the initial outbreak for the virus to peak in Wuhan. If it goes the same way in North America and we’re just at the beginning... you’re going to wish you had of stocked up on some toilet paper lol

Ok

I brushed this off as stupid at first but after doing a little bit of research I think it’s a bigger deal than most people think . I don’t watch the news much but I have read and listened to some experts on the subject and most of them are really concerned and therefor so am I. From what I’ve heard, the death rate of those infected is 10x the common flu. It just hasn’t had a chance to infect that many people yet so the numbers aren’t huge . There isn’t a single person on this website that knows exactly how bad it will be by the time this is all done in a few months but judging by the 60 million people in Italy on lockdown, all the travel bans, nba season delays, nhl games being played with no people etc I wouldn’t write it off as just media hype. Just my opinion , do what you want but I’m personally not going to put my higher risk family members in a position to get this virus just incase. If it turns out to be all hype after then so be it.

I think the scary issue is that the Hospitals aren’t equipped to deal with an influx of patients requiring intensive care. They don’t have the staff or equipment available. This is definitely much more serious than the regular flu.

I think the scary issue is that the Hospitals aren’t equipped to deal with an influx of patients requiring intensive care. They don’t have the staff or equipment available. This is definitely much more serious than the regular flu.
Spot on. LL. Unlike the "regular" flu virus, this stain goes to the lungs. Anyone who has smoked, had pneumonia or any other breathing disorder (e.g. asthma) could need hospital level ventilation to survive - the kind that only hospitals can provide.
No question, panic buying of toilet paper and hand sanitizer is dumb - as is trivializing the potential impact of this thing.

Listen to Joe Rohan’s podcast with a disease expert. While this isn’t a small deal it helps slow down the hysteria. But it is serious for those who smoke or are older

Last edited:
Dam right I am stock piling, but not going crazy about it. I want to have sufficient supplies to isolate myself as much as possible when the time comes and it is getting close. I would include myself in the most vulnerable of those at extreme risk, not just for my age, but for a compromised immune system including a systemic cancer that is in effect cancer of a major component of the immune system and will be on Chemo for as long as it works or I am deceased. I also have a severely compromised respiratory system with lungs that are often irritated from scar tissue from previous pneumonia and damage from radiation treatment and an auto-immune asthma like response to house dust etc. In short, I am a 8000 sq. foot penthouse suite in a 5 star hotel to this virus and I am sure it would love to move in and party. If all go's well, with some luck, I can wait it out till they have a vaccine.

The good news for me is that fishing on the boat away from the crowds should be a low risk activity.

Last edited:
Anyone that thinks this is nothing to be worried about may be rethinking their positions down the road. I hope you are right but there is a lot of fear out there right now and not all of it is unjustified. Someone was commenting on the readiness of the hospitals if all of a sudden we (Canada) had a big influx of cases. This person's comments were along the lines that most of our hospitals are already operating at over 100% capacity so where would we put them. How would the staff, which are already stretched, deal with case as some of they themselves become infected?

I don't believe there is any need to panic at this point but I do believe that sticking your head in the sand and thinking there's nothing to this is too much of a reaction in the opposite direction. That was Trump's reaction a few days ago and now what did he do tonight?

It's not just the virus itself and how it affects people or what the fatality rate is compared to something else. It is also about how it is affecting the "global economy" and that may turn out to be the more serious issue down the road. We don't live in our own little bubble in our little corner of the world and are dependent on many other countries.

As for stocking up on TP, I guess it all depends on the amount of "S--T" that goes on in their household. I don't have a big supply but I think I will add a few more rolls to the boat's supply just in case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back