All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still wondering what I personally get out of this.

I'm still wondering what I personally get out of this.

The way it reads to me, it is designed to bridge the gap so the SMB's don't lay off employees and apply for EI benefits. Anything to improve cash flows, or help stabilize cash flows, is good with me. I like the fact we can defer PST, GST and EHT payments. EHT has always been a sore spot, it was a direct torpedo of more than $60,000 to the bottom line for us as we did not pay MSP premiums before EHT was put into place. Just don't go all H&B with the new found $$$ and maybe we have a chance at survival from a business perspective.

Is your business still operating?
In a sales and managament capacity. No labor or fees coming in. Sites are shut down so the fees pause. I spend way too much time now answering the busy body quote requests with no chance to actually start the projects. Had my biggest net zero, flagship project get cancelled as well. Was supposed to start this month

In a sales and managament capacity. No labor or fees coming in. Sites are shut down so the fees pause. I spend way too much time now answering the busy body quote requests with no chance to actually start the projects. Had my biggest net zero, flagship project get cancelled as well. Was supposed to start this month

Cancelled outright or just kicked the can down the road? Are they thinking they can retender the project when bidders are more keen to race to the bottom down the line?

Cancelled outright or just kicked the can down the road? Are they thinking they can retender the project when bidders are more keen to race to the bottom down the line?
They said postponed until Feb. Who knows what happens in that time. They were adamant that they'd like to keep me on board though. So a positive there but that still doesn't being income in right now.

They said postponed until Feb. Who knows what happens in that time. They were adamant that they'd like to keep me on board though. So a positive there but that still doesn't being income in right now.

It's hard to fill the funnel right now, stay positive and perhaps there is an opportunity to request a retainer of some level so you have some predictability around when you need to staff up for next Feb...at least its an opportunity to have a conversation with the client. Good luck.

It's hard to fill the funnel right now, stay positive and perhaps there is an opportunity to request a retainer of some level so you have some predictability around when you need to staff up for next Feb...at least its an opportunity to have a conversation with the client. Good luck.
You're absolutely right. And I'm trying. My concern is that people assume as a business I'm making moneyt hand over fist so I can just "ride it out". It's true I have some savings that go to the inevitable ebb and flow of money in the account but if that dries up I'll have to drastically change how I operate moving forward. I make a wage, my business relies on things happening to make money, billable hours. I am losing my paychecks just the same as eveyone else as I can't afford to just continue paying my salary while there's no money in. Long story short 2k a month would go a long way in my world too.

It's not about the market. It's about society. We are a market driven society, and without the market, society collapses eventually. I don't minimize the pandemic, it's real and devastating...as are the measures we're taking to control it. I'm desperate to hear someone suggest a way out of this other than wait for a vaccine because we won't last that long...
You are right, ryan - a vaccine is many months off - way too late to do any good.

Societies are NOT set by the stock market. That is a fallacy and is not governance. We - as societies - will survive COVID-19 and the stock market - and the inevitable stock market crashes and recessions that keep happening because the stock market is not sustainable. Economic theory has failed numerous times. Our current system of capitalism has only been around ~150 yrs or so. Humans have been around ~1Million years. So for 99.985% of human existence - the stock market never existed - and humans survived, somehow.

Listening to one extremely irresponsible so-termed "leader" who preaches fear and get his speaking notes from the Koch industries will kill many more humans @ this time and increase the time needed for recovery. Instead it's time to listen to the health experts and "flatten the curve" for the all too obvious reasons. Life is more important than profit.

Last edited:
The real unknown is what new infections will stabilize at with all our measures. Regardless of what that number ends up being, it's important to realize that it doesn't allow any lifting of the economic shutdown until there is a vaccine. Can our worldwide economy (and I'm talking essential economy, food, transport, health care) sustain that for 6 months, let alone up to 18 months?

Suggesting it can is delusional. We need a better plan.

Complete horse-pucky. Since they are only conducted extremely limited testing (still) they have absolutely NO idea of the infection rate whatsoever.

Makes for good press and suggests they are "doing something" though...

Nog
Makes people feel good and maybe some will ease up on social distancing, sounds like a great plan!;)

You are right, ryan - a vaccine is many months off - way too late to do any good.

Societies are NOT set by the stock market. That is a fallacy and is not governance. We - as societies - will survive COVID-19 and the stock market - and the inevitable stock market crashes and recessions that keep happening because the stock market is not sustainable. Economic theory has failed numerous times. Our current system of capitalism has only been around ~150 yrs or so. Humans have been around ~1Million years. So for 99.985% of human existence - the stock market never existed - and humans survived, somehow.

Listening to one extremely irresponsible so-termed "leader" who preaches fear and get his speaking notes from the Koch industries will kill many more humans @ this time and increase the time needed for recovery. Instead it's time to listen to the health experts and "flatten the curve" for the all too obvious reasons. Life is more important than profit.

You seem to be confusing my point. I'm not talking about the stock market. I'm talking about the"market economy" that supplies the essentials of life, like food, fuel to power our agricultural machinery, electricity for our hospitals etc. Humans will survive the pandemic, but we need a better plan if we want our society to.

The Buffoon in the white white doesn't say much that makes sense, but we must take a longer view as to what we need to accomplish in our response to the pandemic.

I'm not arguing about flattening the curve, I just want some sign that senior officials have some sort of plan for what then...

Insert rolling eyes and barf face here. Straight out of the manifesto this one.

You seem to be confusing my point. I'm not talking about the stock market. I'm talking about the"market economy" that supplies the essentials of life, like food, fuel to power our agricultural machinery, electricity for our hospitals etc. Humans will survive the pandemic, but we need a better plan if we want our society to.

The Buffoon in the white white doesn't say much that makes sense, but we must take a longer view as to what we need to accomplish in our response to the pandemic.

I'm not arguing about flattening the curve, I just want some sign that senior officials have some sort of plan for what then...
Totally appreciate the thoughtful, measured response & clarification, ryan. You are right - there will be a few months of unsettled changes & disruptions to our supply chain. I am hoping that the changes will be a better understanding of what is truly important in life. Food, heat - are the basics..

Insert rolling eyes and barf face here. Straight out of the manifesto this one.
Anytime you wish to demonstrate where in the Constitution Act - or even in the definition of "democracy" it says we are governed by the stock market - feel free to post and try to defend your post - speaking of manifestos... :)

While you are attempting that - maybe you can prove that the stock market never crashed, nor have we had any recessions & depressions :)

Not going down the rabbit hole with you once again.

Back on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back