All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had an employee go home sick last Tuesday and the test came back positive for Covid on Thursday. There were four of our crew working on the same site as the sick employee but not working right beside him. They did not work Friday, all got tested, and test results came back this morning as negative but they are being told that they shouldn't work until December 1st (14 days after last contact with the one sick guy). Doesn't the negative test confirm that they were not infected? I get that symptoms can take 14 days to show up, but the infection should still be there and I thought the negative test 5 days after contact would imply that they haven't been infected with covid from this interaction.

It's pretty frustrating as in construction, we are very short staffed as it is. This project is nearing completion so it is crunch time and we've now lost 5 employees, four of which do not show symptoms, have tested negative, and are now complaining about missing work and pay. I just don't see why these guys can't go back to work so we can wrap up the finishing touches on this school. The other trades on site have all kept working even though they would have been in just as close proximity.

You need 2 to 3 negative tests in a row to confirm it. It's cheaper and effective for 811 just to tell people to stay home.

That being said i know showone who works in an office building with a coworker that got it and they never got tested and it was business as usual.

my work went to a mandatory mask policy more than a month ago after a coworker in a different part of the company got infected. Basically had he and his coworkers been wearing a mask contract tracers told my company that only the infected person would have to stay at home.

also embolden by this my company also removed pay for anyone having to self isolate as they determined that the measures they have in play to protect employees and the public is sufficient.

Last edited:
You need 2 to 3 negative tests in a row to confirm it. It's cheaper and effective for 811 just to tell people to stay home.

That being said i know showone who works in an office building with a coworker that got it and they never got tested and it was business as usual.

my work went to a mandatory mask policy more than a month ago after a coworker in a different part of the company got infected. Basically had he and his coworkers been wearing a mask contract tracers told my company that only the infected person would have to stay at home.

also embolden by this my company also removed pay for anyone having to self isolate as they determined that the measures they have in play to protect employees and the public is sufficient.
Yeah that makes some sense. This job site has a mandatory mask mandate however. I also spoke to a friend who works at a bank. They recently had an employee test positive and they cleaned for one day and everyone was back up and running the following day. He said that was because they have acrylic screens to protect customers. So what? the employee to employee contact is still there with masks on, same as my crew on a job site.

Yeah that makes some sense. This job site has a mandatory mask mandate however. I also spoke to a friend who works at a bank. They recently had an employee test positive and they cleaned for one day and everyone was back up and running the following day. He said that was because they have acrylic screens to protect customers. So what? the employee to employee contact is still there with masks on, same as my crew on a job site.

The contract tracers follow predetermined procedures/guidelines on when to tell people they have to self isolate. Did they eat lunch together without a mask on,did they carpool without a mask on ect...ect.. What did your coworkers tell them?maybe they were unable to answer all the questions? who knows?

also i dont no if things have changed based on how much community spread there is they may just be telling people now to stay home out of caution.

ultimately its just a person on the other end of the call making it and i imagine its easier for them to tell contacts to self isolate if they are not 100% sure that a exposure did not occur.

Eni0ShFUwAEz4Z7

B.C. health officials have confirmed another 1,933 cases of COVID-19 over the last three days, a weekend which also saw 17 more people die of the disease.

The number of patients in hospital with the disease caused by the novel coronavirus is at 277, another new high, with 59 people in intensive care. There are now 7,360 active cases of the virus across B.C.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry became emotional during Monday's briefing, as she addressed the growing spread of the virus in long-term care and assisted living, saying the majority of those who died this weekend were seniors and elders living in long-term care.

She said it is urgent for everyone to do their part to reduce their social interactions and get the spread of this virus under control, but also offered reassurance that health officials and members of the public. have the tools and the knowledge to do that.

"I say this to fuel that fire of determination and resilience that I have seen in people across this province," Henry said.

More here:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-coronavirus-update-november-23-2020-1.5812556

Eni0ShFUwAEz4Z7

B.C. health officials have confirmed another 1,933 cases of COVID-19 over the last three days, a weekend which also saw 17 more people die of the disease.

The number of patients in hospital with the disease caused by the novel coronavirus is at 277, another new high, with 59 people in intensive care. There are now 7,360 active cases of the virus across B.C.

Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry became emotional during Monday's briefing, as she addressed the growing spread of the virus in long-term care and assisted living, saying the majority of those who died this weekend were seniors and elders living in long-term care.

She said it is urgent for everyone to do their part to reduce their social interactions and get the spread of this virus under control, but also offered reassurance that health officials and members of the public. have the tools and the knowledge to do that.

"I say this to fuel that fire of determination and resilience that I have seen in people across this province," Henry said.

More here:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-coronavirus-update-november-23-2020-1.5812556
It’s idiots like this that make me want to lose my ****. Protesting wearing masks in Vancouver yesterday

Attachments

• C318F834-7DEA-4F13-9624-E95D0744422C.png
    C318F834-7DEA-4F13-9624-E95D0744422C.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
I'm surprised at the number of anti-mask people here. In the US I get it; someone on a mostly American forum I'm on posted this great explanation of how for a lot of business owners, refusing to cooperate with mask guidelines/rules/whatever is the last symbolic gesture they can make against lockdowns without paying a massive price for their disobedience. But here in Canada and particularly in BC, lockdowns so far have been "soft" and more like the Swedish approach than I think a lot of people realize. Voluntary compliance has been relatively high and complete shutdowns haven't really happened. But you look at states like California where average people have been subjected to fairly stringent conditions, which haven't really done a great job anyway...I get why those people are frustrated and looking for some way to vent.

But here...I mean I've gone to my favourite cafes and restaurants every week since this started, with a brief interruption of a couple of weeks during the last peak back in March or April, I forget. There's been almost no impact on my life. Not that much is really being asked of most of us, so the resentment that's fueling the American anti-mask movement shouldn't really be that widespread here, I don't think.

I guess no matter the conditions, you'll get some wingnuts who just believe anything that supports their side and conflicts with the other side, no matter how obviously ridiculous. To me the mask thing is a bit surreal though, considering that mask technology is hardly new and doctors and nurses have worn them as a means of reducing the likelihood of transmitting respiratory viruses, including other coronaviruses, for generations, and it was obvious from January of last year that mask use would reduce transmission rates.

In fact the weirdest thing in that whole anti-mask mess, as far as I'm concerned at least, is that in the early days when hospitals were trying to get their hands on masks and other PPE, Fauci et al were actively saying that masks wouldn't help, which was obviously a lie intended to reduce demand so hospitals could stock up (a fact which he later admitted). But how the anti-mask people square the fact that they A) are agreeing with Fauci's early advice, despite probably considering him a villain, and B) they were overtly misled, putting everyone's life at risk, just so frontline medical workers could get their hands on masks...I mean why bother risking the lives of the general population to ensure your own supply of something you know won't help? Why take the gamble on increased transmission rates in the community just to pick up some obscure tool of theoretical social control? It makes no sense. Clearly that whole fairly transparent gambit would only be worthwhile if they figured the masks would keep them alive.

And it's just a freaking coronavirus for christ's sake...these are not new. The PPE that works for every other respiratory virus is going to work pretty well for this. I totally get the people who don't want to wear masks every time they step out of their house...I never wear one unless I'm entering an enclosed space. Wearing one in the park is pointless. But in context, obviously they work. And how something that conceals your face is a tool of social control doesn't make a lot of sense to me, unless it's only one group that gets forced to wear it. But if it's an across-the-board recommendation, then you can really look at it as decreased social control just as easily as increased social control. I can walk into a bank wearing a mask now...couldn't do that last year. I can wear sunglasses and render myself totally secure against facial recognition software. Couldn't do that before either.

I think they should investigate more on how it’s getting into care homes and how it spreads so fast.

“Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry became emotional during Monday's briefing, as she addressed the growing spread of the virus in long-term care and assisted living, saying the majority of those who died this weekend were seniors and elders living in long-term care.

I think they should investigate more on how it’s getting into care homes and how it spreads so fast.

“Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry became emotional during Monday's briefing, as she addressed the growing spread of the virus in long-term care and assisted living, saying the majority of those who died this weekend were seniors and elders living in long-term care.
Are you really f&cking serious? Stick a bunch of 80 to 100 year olds in the same building, if someone leaves the door open and a strong wind blows in, it would knock over 30% of them and kill them.

People need to wake up. This may hurt your feelings if you are close to this age demographic, but I am done with people’s feelings. Especially if they close my kids school again.

"Thus far, COVID-19 has done the most damage to countries in the developed world. Rich countries not only have older populations but they’re also better equipped to keep alive citizens who have breathing problems that might have long ago been fatal in a poorer part of the world. Thus, when a disease came along that targeted the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, the cruel demographic math determined it would strike hardest in the likes of the US and Western Europe. "

People need to wake up. This may hurt your feelings if you are close to this age demographic, but I am done with people’s feelings. Especially if they close my kids school again.
So you are "done with people’s feelings"
There a lot of Covid deniers on this forum and I am fed up with their self serving ignorant posts!
If teachers and students start getting and spreading Covid the schools will be closed down!
DO YOU GET THAT SIMPLE FACT?
Are you contributing to the solution or the problem.
“There was a 28% increase in child Covid-19 cases over the last two weeks, American Academy of Pediatrics says”
“ People in their 50s are at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 40s. Similarly, people in their 60s or 70s are, in general, at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 50s”.

Are you really f&cking serious? Stick a bunch of 80 to 100 year olds in the same building, if someone leaves the door open and a strong wind blows in, it would knock over 30% of them and kill them.

"Thus far, COVID-19 has done the most damage to countries in the developed world. Rich countries not only have older populations but they’re also better equipped to keep alive citizens who have breathing problems that might have long ago been fatal in a poorer part of the world. Thus, when a disease came along that targeted the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions, the cruel demographic math determined it would strike hardest in the likes of the US and Western Europe. "

you say a 28% increase in Child covid. I say there was a 0% increase in child deaths.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. If you are old and decaying and you promote the attitude that we must do everything possible to save your life forever - are you not self serving and ignorant one?

ps this is not a personal attack. I get called self serving and ignorant in an earlier post. Just because I am not a boomer, does not mean I am wrong.

you say a 28% increase in Child covid. I say there was a 0% increase in child deaths.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. If you are old and decaying and you promote the attitude that we must do everything possible to save your life forever - are you not self serving and ignorant one?

ps this is not a personal attack. I get called self serving and ignorant in an earlier post. Just because I am not a boomer, does not mean I am wrong.
True, but when one is acting selfish, uncaring, and narrow minded to the needs of our whole society then one can be wrong. We are all in this together and we need to work together to try to make it better for all of us. Think about it...

Last edited:
Covid deaths of children and others.
For the record, these stats are only thru the end of July and do not include the huge second wave we experiencing in Aug. Sept, Oct. and November.
"CDC researchers identified 121 deaths related to COVID-19 or multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MISC) in people under 21 across the U.S. from February through July."
"Some 70% of the deaths were in those aged 10 through 20 years, 20% were in children aged 1 through 9, and 10% occurred in those under 1 year."
Granted, these are USA stats. Will leave it up to you to decide if the same problem might exist in Canada.
Does anyone really believe only the "old and decaying" are dying?
Just one on many examples.
Broadway star Nick Cordero died on July 5, 2020 after a months-long battle with the coronavirus. He was 41.
AND how about Doctors and front line workers that are very sick or dying.
Deaths in Canada
Deaths in USA
This debate reminds me of Trump supporters. Nothing will change some peoples opinions.

True, but when one is acting selfish, uncaring, and narrow minded to the needs of our whole society then one can be wrong. We are all in this together and we need to work together to try to make it better for all of us. Think about it...
"Better for all of us" can look different to different people.

If I said, "I want zero lockdowns and massive deregulation of the economy" that would sound terrible to some people...but it would also create an economic boom that could pay for an increase in services to the most vulnerable, and in the process you might see a reduction in all-cause mortality that outstripped the increase in COVID mortality.

As per usual I'll include the disclaimer that I'm not advocating for this or anything else, it's just an example. But that's a real possibility. If that's how I'm looking at things, anyone trying to oppose me looks selfish and shortsighted to me and I could make the same criticisms: you aren't looking at the WHOLE society and we need to make it better for ALL of us.

It's very easy to assume the people who don't agree with you, don't agree because they're selfish, or uncaring, or morally wrong. But they usually aren't any worse than the people who do agree with you, they're just prioritizing data differently.

Personally, as soon as people start throwing around lines like "if you're not with us you're against us" I'm done with them, regardless of what "side" they purport to be on. This is a complicated problem and fixing it is going to be difficult and costly and lots of nuanced decisions will have to be made at different levels about what's worth doing, what's not worth doing, and what price everyone is willing to pay.

If anyone thinks the choices that need to be made can be covered with a phrase off a bumper sticker, they just don't belong in the discussion, as far as I'm concerned.

If I said, "I want zero lockdowns and massive deregulation of the economy" that would sound terrible to some people...but it would also create an economic boom that could pay for an increase in services to the most vulnerable, and in the process you might see a reduction in all-cause mortality that outstripped the increase in COVID mortality.
That overlooks every other consequence to the environment, labour standards, financial transactions, food quality, drug safety and a multitude of other areas where regulation takes the longer view that self-interested individual actors don't.

Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it's informed, well considered or even based on fact. Accepting those opinions as having equal value to the opinions of people who are informed, who have considered the broader picture and who base them on the best information available at the time is equivalent to the media practice of giving equal coverage to unsubstantiated fringe perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back