All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong with being mindful and taking a few precautions. Not saying we have to stop living but with a few minor inconveniences and alterations we can help control this thing until a vaccine is approved. It’s not far off people just be patient.

We’ve maintained our work site, we’ve maintained our lifestyle pretty close to what it was by just taking a few extra precautions.
I do think a lot of people are to scared of this whole thing but those same people show fear of all things, especially a few on here. They are the same people that the sky is falling on just about all subjects, these people just live in fear that’s just the way they are.

Just because you get the virus doesn’t mean your going to die. As time goes on they are getting a lot better at dealing with it. But again, just use a little common sense is all.

We’ve had a spike in AB as well.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...es-surge-with-more-than-1400-in-past-48-hours

Here is a different perspective. Obviously been out spoken about this since I have high risk family member at home. Aside from that there is something we all need to remember.

I feel I should post this and share. I am not going to fight you guys to change your minds but share something personal that effects our family.

Right now I am frustrated this cameback again. Personally I am frankly pissed. This actually were pretty manageable but it's spiraling now.

I own and operate a small business. Like many others in BC I have rode the storm and tweaked the business without tourism. Much too my surprise the government hasn't given us dime yet just freely shelled out money to a lot of businesses that quite frankly didn't really need it. That made harder for any of us when they opened these programs up a month ago. It was incredibly frustrating the hoops you had to jump through, and many businesses just walked away.

Luckily in my case I have been OK so far. But last week a have been seeing something troubling just like what I saw in Spring. People are again starting to stay away from stores again. The more these cases spread fear and panic set in. That hurts our BC small businesses.

Look I get it is inconvenient. Just like you I struggle as well. But please think of the businesses like mine, and others your hurting if you don't follow these rules. None of us can financially face a second shutdown, and the government doesn't have the cash to support us.

Remember we all weren't really shut down last time. The rising cases made people not want to go into stores. No government program can help if people don't come into our businesses.

It is just something to think about....

Just my view.

Last edited:
Seems obvious to me this thing is highly seasonal and despite best efforts in many parts of the northern hemisphere it appears this thing is just going to run its course through the population. Lockdowns and restrictions only work if they are sustainable into next summer...or beyond if that's when the vaccine comes.

Personally, I still don't think they have made a huge ask. Stores/work are still open, schools still open, restaurants still open (if you go with family). The stats show people cramming into a house is just not good and the numbers creeping. Honestly, I had pretty good May through the end of September, did all the stuff I wanted to do. I will play ball for this couple weeks, its not a huge ask in the grand scheme of things.

Personally, I still don't think they have made a huge ask. Stores/work are still open, schools still open, restaurants still open (if you go with family). The stats show people cramming into a house is just not good and the numbers creeping. Honestly, I had pretty good May through the end of September, did all the stuff I wanted to do. I will play ball for this couple weeks, its not a huge ask in the grand scheme of things.
I agree but this certainly will not be only two weeks. Bets?

Here's an alternative opinion from a credible expert, not just a pissed off tax paying logical citizen.

https://edmontonjournal.com/opinion...ovid-19-itself-says-infectious-disease-expert

So you quote a doc that has an opinion in line with your own. We also had a coalition of dozens of BC physicians petitioning the government to make masks mandatory. Arent they also rock solid experts?

Everyone deals with stressful events differently. Minimizing the problem is one such coping mechanism. Others go the other direction, like the guy I saw yesterday, driving alone wearing a mask at the wheel. Just try considering the array of possibilities and keep an open mind.

I agree but this certainly will not be only two weeks. Bets?
I'm with you. If things don't change in these 2 weeks, schools will be getting an extended Christmas break starting December 1 and I bet restaurants will closed up well. (I hope this doesn't happen though)

I work downtown Calgary. Last night the boss sent out an email asking folks to work from home when possible. He said we all have a responsibility to minimize contacts right now and need to do everything we can to prevent any shut downs. Any business shut down will be devastating to families.

That said it's back to working from home for the time being. I'm just grateful I am not having to home school at the same time this time around. (Fingers crossed)

Very good news! If people can just hang in with the restrictions for a few more months, this virus might just be controlable.

I would bet a pretty substantial sum that it will be measured in months, not weeks.

an expert on the radio this morning from UBC talking about the recent restrictions said 2 weeks is basically to short to do anything other than tell if people are going to comply with the new measures. As of sunday and this morning she said there was no sign in the of a decline in restaurants use or traffic.

Edit:

From this morning on the radio

Caroline Colijn, a mathematics professor at Simon Fraser University who has been doing modelling in conjunction with the BC Centre for Disease Control, says cases in B.C. are doubling every one to two weeks.

"Anything we do for two weeks is so temporary we will barely see the impact before it ends," Colijn said.

Last edited:
an expert on the radio this morning from UBC talking about the recent restrictions said 2 weeks is basically to short to do anything other than tell if people are going to comply with the new measures. As of sunday and this morning she said there was no sign in the of a decline in restaurants use or traffic.

I have a feeling people were going to finish off their weekend plans. They should have started it after Sunday night.

Looks like dr Bonnie Henry read the definition of household and now we are actually allowed to see close friends and family. So I guess household was the wrong term to use.

Attachments

• D82BFACB-4121-4717-8D34-E62A95B46D59.jpeg
    D82BFACB-4121-4717-8D34-E62A95B46D59.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 11
I work downtown Calgary. Last night the boss sent out an email asking folks to work from home when possible. He said we all have a responsibility to minimize contacts right now and need to do everything we can to prevent any shut downs. Any business shut down will be devastating to families.

That said it's back to working from home for the time being. I'm just grateful I am not having to home school at the same time this time around. (Fingers crossed)

Lol we’ve been doing all our morning meetings via Teams for the last few months. Makes for some interesting morning calls with the Engineers kids crying in the background, dogs barking lol. Most are doing well but some seem to have a problem separating the home and work.

Went into a few businesses today that I regularly go into pretty 100% mask wearing today so it seems some things have changed.

they even had a person at the door checking and turning people away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back