All Things COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will be more cases as contacts increase. This is how viruses work.

If you are scared of the virus you should be seriously questioning if opening up bc to phase 3 is the right decision while the virus is still circulating in BC.

There will be more cases as contacts increase. This is how viruses work.

If you are scared of the virus you should be seriously questioning if opening up bc to phase 3 is the right decision while the virus is still circulating in BC.

But it mainly kills people 83+ yo so it should be all Ok. No??

But it mainly kills people 83+ yo so it should be all Ok. No??
I mean statistically...yes, unless you have some serious underlying condition.

I don't know if this is public yet so I'm not sure whether it can be corroborated but people I know who are working directly on this in the US tell me that there appears to be a genetic susceptibility to this among Hispanics.

Very unfortunate for the 51 year old but an obese Hispanic male with diabetes...three strikes there, not surprised to see an out.

I mean statistically...yes, unless you have some serious underlying condition.
I don't know if this is public yet so I'm not sure whether it can be corroborated but people I know who are working directly on this in the US tell me that there appears to be a genetic susceptibility to this among Hispanics.
Very unfortunate for the 51 year old but an obese Hispanic male with diabetes...three strikes there, not surprised to see an out.
COME ON!!!!
Give yourself a shake and face reality!!!

“When 30-year-old Ben Luderer started to feel sick, he wasn't that surprised. Just a few days earlier, his wife, Brandy, had tested positive for coronavirus,
Brandy was left with a mystery. She knew her husband was sick, but how was it possible that a young, healthy 30-year-old with no pre-existing conditions declined so swiftly?
The two worked in the Cliffside Park School District in New Jersey, both as special education teachers -- she at School #4, he at School #6. A star baseball player in high school, he continued his passion by coaching the varsity baseball team.”
Ben died from Covid 19

Super unfortunate but I'm sorry, that remains statistically quite rare. Nobody can guarantee they will have a mild reaction; the vast majority recover fine and some do not. I don't have a problem with anyone who is concerned for himself or others, I am simply pointing out that for the vast majority of people, the odds of dying from this are pretty remote.

If people are interested in self isolation for altruistic reasons, I have no criticism to lay against that at all.

But you can find young men who have died of breast cancer if you look. No matter how tragic that is, it doesn't change the reality that for the overwhelming majority of young men, breast cancer is statistically pretty low on the actuarial table.

This topic has become strangely polarized; it seems that people want to break everything down to two opposing camps, and act like you either support science or you support business.

In fact, most people are interested in the science, AND not wanting to tank the economy, and are just stuck trying to interpret the information which is often conflicting or poorly presented.

There are good arguments for lockdown, and good arguments against lockdown, both of which center on the goal of saving human lives. I have been pretty happy with BC's approach and have few criticisms of Bonnie Henry et al.

But that still doesn't change the fact that for most people, the actual threat c19 presents directly is pretty low.

You and Donald Trump
"One day it will all just go away"
Can't help but wonder how you would feel if you lived in Arizona instead of Vancouver Island where, because we took this virus seriously, we are for now, anyway in good shape.
If everyone in BC took the attitude you have, we would be in BIG TROUBLE, Just like so many in the good ole US of A

A message for everyone who feels they are not in danger of dying from Covid 19
Covid-19 is increasingly a disease of the young, and they are clearly spreading the virus to their older loved ones and others”

Let's see some evidence for this please. Simple statistical correlation isn't enough, same as it fails on the connection between African Americans/Canadians and sickle cell disease. No evidence of a genetic connection but plenty to show a socio-economic one. Trying to explain it as genetic susceptibility is misrepresentation.

Let's see some evidence for this please. Simple statistical correlation isn't enough, same as it fails on the connection between African Americans/Canadians and sickle cell disease. No evidence of a genetic connection but plenty to show a socio-economic one. Trying to explain it as genetic susceptibility is misrepresentation.
As I said in the section of the post you quoted, I'm not sure if the data has been released so corroborating it may or may not be possible, but from the people I know working on the problem, that is certainly how they are interpreting it. They are not working from general numbers available to the public and getting their COVID news from the newspaper, they are a part of the pandemic response. It's a long thread but as I mentioned once or twice earlier in it, I have a few friends on the US side working on this problem (as doctors, not as politicians) and my wife's field was the study of communicable disease on reserves.

The doctors I know are not seeing the same specific issue with black patients and both genetic susceptibility and indifference to various diseases is pretty common - famously sickle cell disease affects practically nobody north of about Spain - so although I have not gone into great detail with them it's likely that there is a good basis for their working theory. This does not obviate the obvious correlational issue with multigenerational housing, industrial work and in-home care work that's predominantly hispanic in the US, but it's potentially exacerbating it.

Regardless, even if you reject the genetic susceptibility concept, it would still make sense to treat "hispanic" as a statistical risk factor...there is an established higher risk in US hispanic populations, regardless of the nature-nurture problem.

You and Donald Trump
"One day it will all just go away"
Can't help but wonder how you would feel if you lived in Arizona instead of Vancouver Island where, because we took this virus seriously, we are for now, anyway in good shape.
If everyone in BC took the attitude you have, we would be in BIG TROUBLE, Just like so many in the good ole US of A
I find it a bit surreal to be compared to Trump just because my take on this is fairly dispassionate, and the fact that we'd be in trouble if everyone had "my attitude"...which is mostly supportive of the steps the province has taken.

And I'll point out that my harshest criticism of the actions taken here came when there was a failure to recommend masks early on.

The fact that this puts me in the "Trump" category for some people is exactly the polarization of the issue I was describing.

As I said in the section of the post you quoted, I'm not sure if the data has been released so corroborating it may or may not be possible, but from the people I know working on the problem, that is certainly how they are interpreting it. They are not working from general numbers available to the public and getting their COVID news from the newspaper, they are a part of the pandemic response. It's a long thread but as I mentioned once or twice earlier in it, I have a few friends on the US side working on this problem (as doctors, not as politicians) and my wife's field was the study of communicable disease on reserves.

The doctors I know are not seeing the same specific issue with black patients and both genetic susceptibility and indifference to various diseases is pretty common - famously sickle cell disease affects practically nobody north of about Spain - so although I have not gone into great detail with them it's likely that there is a good basis for their working theory. This does not obviate the obvious correlational issue with multigenerational housing, industrial work and in-home care work that's predominantly hispanic in the US, but it's potentially exacerbating it.

Regardless, even if you reject the genetic susceptibility concept, it would still make sense to treat "hispanic" as a statistical risk factor...there is an established higher risk in US hispanic populations, regardless of the nature-nurture problem.

It will take a fair while to confirm a genetic link, but the means are there to provide evidence. Being such a new illness and with front line response still very much ongoing in the US, not surprising that research will take a while to catch up. There'll be decades' worth of research opportunities in almost any field you can think of in the wake of this pandemic!

As with everything about covid 19 it's complicated. The CDC in the US has been studying this and I know around the world there are other groups trying to tease out what is going on. Is it nature or nurture, maybe but there there are definitely socioeconomic and cultural difference that can lead to bad outcomes. Myself I think the role of vitamin D needs closer examination and personally not waiting for that to be completed since it's safe and easy to take, just incase.

index.php

Long-standing systemic health and social inequities have put some members of racial and ethnic minority groups at increased risk of getting COVID-19 or experiencing severe illness, regardless of age. Among some racial and ethnic minority groups, including non-Hispanic black persons, Hispanics and Latinos, and American Indians/Alaska Natives, evidence points to higher rates of hospitalization or death from COVID-19 than among non-Hispanic white persons. As of June 12, 2020, age-adjusted hospitalization rates are highest among non-Hispanic American Indian or Alaska Native and non-Hispanic black persons, followed by Hispanic or Latino persons.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/racial-ethnic-minorities.html

New from Texas
EcF5KdNWsAMhNYb

For those of you who think you are invincible.
41 year old Nick Cordero dies of Covid 19 today.
nick.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back