Algae Bloom

SeaWolf

I have been seeing a few reports about algae blooms off WCVI. Any experts know how deep they go? ... Or fishing tactics when they are occuring? I recall a nasty one around CR a few years ago that also fouled our lines. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
i have heard the top 30'... then after a few days it seems to have mixed in.. i have a diving friend that i will ask. big bank looked like chocolate milk last week. then the sound got it.

We had it off Sooke for a while and the fishing was poor - look at the color of your kicker wash. Perhaps it is coincidence perhaps not. The Brown color is currently gone, the kicker wash color is normal and the fishing is much improved and again perhaps coincidence or perhaps not.

There different types of blooms...the one we get in April is usually clumps of sticky crap that stick to everything and make it difficult to reel in...although the water color isn;t necessarily that bad.

Also we get the swaths of algae sometimes....where it is a light wheaty brown color but is in isolated patches here and there.....you go in and out of it from algae to clear water and back etc.

Then there's just the straight tea-colored water at times.......more like a stain than an algae....

It may only go down from surface to 50ft.......(saw this lots when I was a diver)....

But that surface layer still acts like a photo filter and affects whatevers beneath it in terms of color.

(Alberni Inlet used to be famous for that).......but the color was from the mills and cedar bark and other wood species.....

I would be sorely tempted to switch flasher and tackle colors in tea-colored water.

While a lot of normal stuff still works.........in that kind of water I'd be thinking:-

Flashers:-

Red/Gold
Purple/Gold
Chartreuse /Gold

Spoons & hoochies:-

Fluo Yellow
Chartreuse
Pink
Brown

or combinations thereof

The "Clown" hoochy behind a red MonkeyPuke flasher used to be good in the Inlet/Barkley Sound when the water was like that....

also Pink squirts...

not saying it's written in stone........just a suggestion.......

Maybe you might want to try these in tea-colored water:-

top hoochy is a "Clown" hoochy

bottom two are G152 hoochies (Glow bottom)...good in dirty water

Flasher is a red Monkey Puke

001.jpg

Back