Alexandra Morton Speaking... please attend!

Foxsea

UVic Talk with Alexandra Morton

Saturday, April 21, 2012 - 19:00 - 22:00
Location: David Lam Auditorium at the University of Victoria A144 MacLarin Hall

What's Happening to Our Wild Salmon? You need to know what we know. Dr. Alexandra Morton will be giving a talk featuring evidence, testmony and internal emails that came to light at the 25 million dollar public inquiry known as the Cohen Commission established to find out what has been happening to the Fraser River sockeye and it was reopened in Dec, 2011 to hear evidence on Infectioous Salmon Anemia virus or ISA. Why the 20 year decline and total collapse of the 2009 stocks?

Find out what we have learned with our own sampling and testing of fish in the rivers and of farmed salmon purchased at the supermarkets. If you want wild salmon you really must look at this evidence.

Doors open at 7pm
talk begins at 7:30pm
Admission is free
but donations are greatly welcomed to help us continue with this work and spread the message of it.

Thanks for posting this Fox. Sucks but I may be in Vancouver. Hope lots of the forum members can make it out there as Alex knows more about this stuff than anyone and I guarantee you, if you are at all on the fence on the net-pen . Wondering if Dr. John Volpe makes an appearance (maybe he will cause he and Alex have history and he works at U Vic). Met them both and you'd be pressed to find more knowledgeable or passionate people among the opposition to salmon farming. (Volpe was the one who discovered wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in 3 separate rivers on Vancouver Island back in the late 90's).

Thanks for posting this Fox. Sucks but I may be in Vancouver. Hope lots of the forum members can make it out there as Alex knows more about this stuff than anyone and I guarantee you, if you are at all on the fence on the net-pen . Wondering if Dr. John Volpe makes an appearance (maybe he will cause he and Alex have history and he works at U Vic). Met them both and you'd be pressed to find more knowledgeable or passionate people among the opposition to salmon farming. (Volpe was the one who discovered wild-spawned Atlantic salmon in 3 separate rivers on Vancouver Island back in the late 90's).

I was wondering the same thing (Dr. John), L.H. There are some heavy hitters affiliated with UVic and having them there would be very cool.

Do we have a representative that would stand up and publically announce that many sportfishers are fully supportive of wild salmon conservation, Dr. Morton and the research she is doing? An effort at building bridges with other groups that may be suspect of our motives.

Myself and two of my family are going to be there.....

Terrific - so will you do it, Englishman?
Do we have a representative that would stand up and publically announce that many sportfishers are fully supportive of wild salmon conservation, Dr. Morton and the research she is doing?

I would love to be there, she is the Patron Saint of Wild salmon.

I'm planning on being there. Will have to spend the day at buchart gardens with the wife as a result. But I am 90% there.

Would like to hear her talk, but my B-Day..so I have to cut a cake. like I've already done it 52 times before...enough all ready!

Alexander will be on a panel at 10:45 on Saturday at the BCWF AGM in Courtenay next weekend.
Dave

I'm planning on being there. Will have to spend the day at buchart gardens with the wife as a result. But I am 90% there.
Lorneparker1 PM sent

Interesting read for sure... Equally surprising is the author

Is he related to cranky, old Stephen Hume?
He's written a number of articles about Dr. Morton, the plight of W.C. fish, the research of Dr. Miller being hushed, Enbridge..., is subtly critical of the government agenda and always seems to support conservation

Mark Hume is a National Correspondent for The Globe and Mail, based in Vancouver, writing news and feature stories on a daily basis about his home province of British Columbia. His weekly column, which often challenges the orthodoxy on environmental issues, appears every Monday.

Born in Victoria, Mr. Hume was editor of the University of Victoria student newspaper before working as a reporter for local dailies in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton and Ottawa. He spent three years based in Yellowknife, covering the Arctic, before returning to the West Coast where, as an investigative reporter for The Vancouver Sun, he wrote a series of more than 50 stories that exposed criminal activities tied to NDP fund raising. The scandal, which became known as ‘Bingogate,' led to the conviction of a former cabinet minister for fraud and the political fallout caused the resignation of a premier. Mr. Hume also wrote a special 16-page newspaper supplement that explored the environmental threats facing Georgia Strait. He helped launch the National Post, serving as the founding Vancouver bureau chief, before joining The Globe in 2003.

He has won numerous national and provincial journalism awards and both the Haig-Brown and the BC Booksellers Choice prizes for two of his natural history books, River of the Angry Moon and Birds of the Raincoast.

Mr. Hume played rugby for 15 years, coached girls soccer teams, has helped science journalist Margaret Munro raise their two daughters, Emma and Claire, ties his own flies and knows where to go in B.C. to catch some very big trout.

I posted the article on my Facebook page. I'm sorry that I will not make it to the meeting but will be at future ones.
My wife and I attended the outstanding presentation from Alexandra Morton.
Maybe 40 people in a hall that holds 300...shame on us.!!!
Some good questions, but unless you guys get off your A_ _ nothing is going to happen!

My wife, daughter and I also attended. Outstanding presentation with a lot of evidence all pointing one way. Myself, Foxsea and Theb55 all spoke up and asked questions. One thing I took away is she needs help getting the message out to a wider audience. The attendance tonight was certainly disappointing. So as well as as posting links to all her material here I'm going to join a few other forums and raise general awareness of the issues and post links to her material on those places too.

My wife, daughter and I also attended. Outstanding presentation with a lot of evidence all pointing one way. Myself, Foxsea and Theb55 all spoke up and asked questions. One thing I took away is she needs help getting the message out to a wider audience. The attendance tonight was certainly disappointing. So as well as as posting links to all her material here I'm going to join a few other forums and raise general awareness of the issues and post links to her material on those places too.

We owe a debt to Dr. John Volpe, from UVic, who helped organize this event. It was great to meet a few guys from this Board and many others taking up the fight for wild salmon, including a family from the Cowichan Tribe. It's clear that Alexandra is tired from fighting on her own for so long. she asked a great question: where are the media notables in this battle - Suzuki, for instance? It's her opinion that most vocal critics have been beaten into submission by government and legal intimidation tactics, threats and actions to censor their voice. With the number of DFO and industry scientists that have repeatedly lied and hidden damning information their tactic is obvious - lie and deny. This was fully revealed in the Cohen inquiry. It is now clear that DFO has no true interest in wild salmon. They are focused on maintaining trade in aquacultural products and all integrity has been compromised to maintain that. Their scientists have lied or been muzzled when discussing viral disease such as ISA - but it's here, they have know about it for many years and they pretend to know nothing. ISA's here, has been for a while - since salmon feedlots first arrived on our coast and it's mutating - getting much more virulent and dangerous. So forget about negotiating or cooperating with DFO - you are thereby totally cooperating with industry. Fishermen and wild salmon will lose with DFO - every time. They are feeding rendered animal parts to the fish and a steady stream of bullsh*t to us. We are gullible putzes to think they give a crap about us - it's about feeding us just enough allocation to shut us up. "Yassa, Massa." We're lapdogs! Meanwhile biz as usual for Marine Harvest and Cermaq - ROI.

There is mounting and unequivocal evidence that our wild salmon are in big trouble. They are threatened by natural and man-made conditions but more importantly, by increasing numbers of parasites and viruses that the salmon feedlots are releasing into our waterways hourly, by the billions. Smolts and adults are twice forced through Johnson Strait and the gauntlet of disease and death surrounding the feedlots. The miracle is that any can survive at all. The Cultus Lake sockeye run is pretty much done for ever. Most others in the Fraser system are under very serious threat of extinction. The only healthy and growing sockeye run is from the Harrison system. Now - here's the good news for a few of the fish and the most damning evidence that the feedlots are the major factor in the fisheries collapse - the Harrison run does not migrate past the feedlots but heads out quickly through JDF to the Pacific. The only run that does that and the only successful run!!! Pre-spawn mortality for all the others is catastrophic. Connect the dots?... government and DFO could care less.

Dr. Volpe and Dr. Morton both feel that our wild salmon are resilient and can recover, if only given a chance. We have to get the f8cking feedlots out of our ocean. Job 1. It's a tough battle against very big guns but it can be won. How? Dr. Morton believes that we need to be relentless in revealing the whole story - how government and DFO have lied repeatedly to protect the Norwegian corporate criminals: Cermaq and Marine Harvest and their shareholders. They are afraid of a WTO challenge and trade sanctions if they move against this trans-national corporate train-wreck that has trashed every environment it has moved into. We are coming to the point where the only thing that will get their attention is the Raging Grannies and our civil disobedience. Their market is in the toilet right now - prices are way down - so now's the time to act. Everything we can think of to stir it up - raise hell. Alexandra suggests that creating another bureaucracy will not be effective. I'm saying we need to be freedom fighters for salmon and the environment - Harper's version of terrorists. As they are, we need to be committed and relentless.

Can you imagine the media frenzy around sportfishers chained to the gates at Marine Harvest, Campbell River and Port Hardy? Upsetting their transportation network? Attacking their market image and the precious trade value of their product? It's diseased!!! Who in their right mind eats that sh*t - mad cow X 1,000,000! Write letters to Clark and demand action - Adrian Dix, as well. Demand action!!! Harper? a waste of skin. Attract media attention by dramatic means - peacefully but dramatically! We have numbers and potential power!

But
My wife and I attended the outstanding presentation from Alexandra Morton.
Some good questions, but unless you guys get off your A_ _ nothing is going to happen!

Last edited by a moderator:
my wife and i attended the outstanding presentation from alexandra morton.
Some good questions, but unless you guys get off your a_ _ nothing is going to happen!
x 3.......

You guys starting to believe me now? Those "NORWAY" 'fish farms' are your biggest problem and if you don't stop them, you are not going to have any 'wild salmon' left to worry about who gets what!

You guys starting to believe me now? Those "NORWAY" 'fish farms' are your biggest problem and if you don't stop them, you are not going to have any 'wild salmon' left to worry about who gets what!

Charlie, some folks just see the sunrise a little earlier. You are no longer a lone voice - many of us are onboard now to FFF (eff the fish feedlots), as you have been advocating for some time. Job 1.
Any action plan brewing?

Back