Alder chips

Kildonan

I'm going to fire up the smoker, went to pick up a couple bags of alder chips. I tried two Canadian tires and Walmart here in Vic, They've always had it before. None of them even had a spot on the shelf for alder. All the other woods were there, but no alder. :-(
Since there's no spot on the shelves for it I wonder if they distribute it anymore.

Anybody noticed some recently at any retailer around town?

I noticed the shortage everywhere in Van last fall, every place I checked in the valley was out so I was just using apple cherry mix that I quiet liked instead.
I just found a couple bags at Army and Navy today, so if you know anyone on their way through there's always that option....it was the downtown location

Just a little word to the wise here...

My Lady runs the local Canadian Tire department responsible for bringing in the various kinds of wood chips. They have been out of alder since before mid-winter. And, alder has been discontinued on their ordering lists. The only version left they can get are the Bradly Pucks. NO chips nor pellets.

She is checking into this, as alder has been a quick seller and considered standard stock here.
But her advise currently is: If you find alder chips and you like using them, buy them all.

Hopefully they will find another source. For the meantime, methinks that is damn good advise...

Cheers,
Nog

Well that's the *****, uncle 'Nog. Alder's my fav.

You ain't alone! I use it damn near exclusively (sometimes mixed with apple) for pretty much all of my fish smoking, both hot & cold.

Remembered this thread so asked her about it over dinner last night. I could not believe the answer!
Probably going to have the next visitors up from the states drag along a few bales methinks...

Cheers,
nog

Yes, checking a little online, it seems the issue is shipping the product to Canada. I'm blaming Trump. :D

Alder is a weed! Can't you resourceful Island boys just pull over to the side f the road and cut all you need?

Yep. Grows wild in BC. Cut a tree down and get your buddy with a bandsaw to rip you some boards. Run em through the planer when they're dry and viola. Plenty of chips for smoking. I've done maple too. Same. Easy as pie

I can drive into the woods, cut trees,
let it dry, try and find buddies with a means to cut and chip it.... or I just order it off the Cabela's website and free up more time to gather more fish to smoke.

I went with plan B. I'll be stocked up for a while now when my order comes in. ;):D

ask one of them chip trucks to chip it GLAD i have a wood stove box i have a 10 year supply LOL and it was free the BEST part

Back