Albion test fishery

saltcod

I've heard through the grapevine that Albion test fishery results have been very good the past week or two. No surprise as the WCVI troll fishery has been canceled. Can anyone confirm? You all know that if Albion is high, that there will be tremendous pressure from FN to allow more netting...

How does the returns in the Albion have anything to do with the WCVI troll?

The returns look better then the last few years but it looks like it still might be down a bit from the 2015 returns it’s brood.

They should have an estimate soon. Last year they had one by now.

I agree tho I imagine the in season negotiations behind the Scenes with FN are probably putting a lot of pressure on DFO.

well, I imagine that some of those Fraser fish travel along WCVI, so the abscence of a commercial troll fishery catching 200,000 Chinook might improve the Albion results..

well, I imagine that some of those Fraser fish travel along WCVI, so the abscence of a commercial troll fishery catching 200,000 Chinook might improve the Albion results..

WCVI troll catches far less then 200k and they catch almost zero early Fraser that are peak migration in the Fraser right now.

Fair enough, like I said through the grapevine I heard the Albion test fishery results were quite good. Are they, or have I been led astray, and if the results are good, what could the explanation be?

Last edited:

Always makes me wonder just where folks get off spewing such complete and utter nonsense?
As an Area G Troller (WCVI) I (and my buddies) are actually in a far worse boat than most sporties - this WAS our effing livelihood get it? And as one who actively tries to promote working with the recreational sector it infuriates me when this kind of garbage gets tossed out there - entirely counter-productive.

FYI: The Recreational Sector takes FAR more springs (or used to) in southern waters than our fleet by exponential numbers. Our entire quota was slashed recently to less than 20K pieces. And we have conclusively proven that our impact on ALL Canadian Origin Stocks to be less than one percent. Frasers even less so.

So next time you think about opening your yap, do a little effing homework before you spew! :mad:

Sheesh!
Nog

Good Morning

Given identified conservation concerns and management actions implemented to support conservation and promote recovery of at risk Fraser Chinook, the Dept. does not plan to generate in-season abundance updates.

FYI, daily catch reports and other related Albion Test Fishery(TF) information is available on Albion TF website link: https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/fraser/docs/commercial/albionchinook-quinnat-eng.html

If you take a look at Albion TF CPUE graph, you’ll see that TF catches to date continue to track far below long term historical numbers.

Always makes me wonder just where folks get off spewing such complete and utter nonsense?
As an Area G Troller (WCVI) I (and my buddies) are actually in a far worse boat than most sporties - this WAS our effing livelihood get it? And as one who actively tries to promote working with the recreational sector it infuriates me when this kind of garbage gets tossed out there - entirely counter-productive.

FYI: The Recreational Sector takes FAR more springs (or used to) in southern waters than our fleet by exponential numbers. Our entire quota was slashed recently to less than 20K pieces. And we have conclusively proven that our impact on ALL Canadian Origin Stocks to be less than one percent. Frasers even less so.

So next time you think about opening your yap, do a little effing homework before you spew! :mad:

Sheesh!
Nog
Ah, well, you're a commie, that explains a lot about the aggressive bashing of anybody with a differing opinion. I do get it that it was your livelihood. Don't forget though, that it is also the the livelihood of hundreds of charter operators, numerous lodge owners and tackle shops. Most commies I know have multiple licences, halibut quota, prawns etc. Imagine if your only income came from salmon, and there was non-retention...

... Imagine if your only income came from salmon, and there was non-retention...

Your glaring ignorance is shining through once again... Sigh...

Historically Area Licenses were just that - Licenses to fish specific areas.
When initially issued, they carried the right to fish for all salmon, lings, halibut, rockfish, prawns etc. within a given area.
Over time the department clawed those back, and created single quota / species fisheries for most.
Area G for the past 10+ years have been limited to Chinook, and a small shot at Sockeye every 8 years or so.
So, we are, or were, Chinook ONLY trollers directly due to government decisions.

So, when our only source of income was Chinook, and they took that away, we are literally left holding the bag.
Many, myself included, are now in jeopardy of losing our homes.

The only reason I am providing that information is so you can reflect on that, and the incorrect misinformation you posted about our fleet above.
Might want to rethink your attitude lad...

Nog

Your glaring ignorance is shining through once again... Sigh...

Historically Area Licenses were just that - Licenses to fish specific areas.
When initially issued, they carried the right to fish for all salmon, lings, halibut, rockfish, prawns etc. within a given area.
Over time the department clawed those back, and created single quota / species fisheries for most.
Area G for the past 10+ years have been limited to Chinook, and a small shot at Sockeye every 8 years or so.
So, we are, or were, Chinook ONLY trollers directly due to government decisions.

So, when our only source of income was Chinook, and they took that away, we are literally left holding the bag.
Many, myself included, are now in jeopardy of losing our homes.

The only reason I am providing that information is so you can reflect on that, and the incorrect misinformation you posted about our fleet above.
Might want to rethink your attitude lad...

Nog

I am sorry for what happened to you. Not fair, and in the middle just like all of us with ridiculous political decisions made without looking of the damage they do. It is fair to say there is some big hurt being felt across all of the businesses in sport fishing and commercial sectors right now. Not to mention how much damage it is taking with tourism.

I am sorry for what happened to you. Not fair, and in the middle just like all of us with ridiculous political decisions made without looking of the damage they do. It is fair to say there is some big hurt being felt across all of the businesses in sport fishing and commercial sectors right now. Not to mention how much damage it is taking with tourism.
Look, I feel sorry for everybody here who has been affected, but Nog, most of the commies I know own multiple licences. Salmon, Halibut, Groundfish prawn etc. Yes, its unfortunate you guys can't fish, but unless you have no other licences, you're in a better position than most of the charter operators. And man, your tone is is pretty aggressive. I see how you go at GLG. Like why are you doing that?

Along with many other commercial trollers Nog doesn't own another license as far as I know from my reading? He lost his job, and doesn't intercept Fraser river fish... The regs are ********. Like why are you out to lunch.

If you want to understand why Area G Troll is so angry you need to understand allocation and priority access of Chinook and coho.
First - Conservation
Second - First Nations
Third - Recreational
Forth - Commercial

Attachments

• Fraser River Chinook Management Letter - June 2019 - FINAL (1).pdf
    215.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Ah yes the allocation policy.

Sometimes makes sense and followed other times not.

For example they site the ocean being close because in river First Nations have priority.

Well if that’s the case how come river recreational guys don’t have priority over ocean commercial guys.

The in River rec guys were told well that’s because area G and others don’t catch Fraser stock.

Well if that’s the case how come there closed now.

Sheesh!
Nog
Here's the data for Chinook on the WCVCI. Doesn't look like sporties are taking more springs overall - especially not by "exponential numbers".
Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.40.20 AM.png

Also, here's the historical data for WCVCI. Note that the sport Y-axis only runs from 0-70,000 pieces while the troll axis runs to 500,000. Even in the worst years for the troll fishery and the best years for the sport fishery, I don't really see the sports taking "exponential numbers" more chinook. Am I missing something in the data?
Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.51.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 8.51.59 AM.png

Look, I feel sorry for everybody here who has been affected, but Nog, most of the commies I know own multiple licences. Salmon, Halibut, Groundfish prawn etc. Yes, its unfortunate you guys can't fish, but unless you have no other licences, you're in a better position than most of the charter operators. And man, your tone is is pretty aggressive. I see how you go at GLG. Like why are you doing that?
Ah, well, you're a commie, that explains a lot about the aggressive bashing of anybody with a differing opinion. I do get it that it was your livelihood. Don't forget though, that it is also the the livelihood of hundreds of charter operators, numerous lodge owners and tackle shops. Most commies I know have multiple licences, halibut quota, prawns etc. Imagine if your only income came from salmon, and there was non-retention...
saltcod - I consider your assumptions unfortunately simplistic and incorrect.

For most fisheries today - many commercial fishermen HAVE TO either buy (BIG $) or lease licences and quota for most fisheries - AS WELL AS commonly having 3rd party monitoring/validation (AGAIN big $) - even cameras and GPS for some fisheries. There are strict & limited by-catch quotas by subareas that also need to be leased and/or traded in order to cover-off overages. They have to hail in/out and don't get a hail number to legally catch & deliver unless it is all the quota and bycatch is covered-off.

To buy halibut quota (not licences) it is in the range of ~$95/lb (if you can find it), and to lease for 1 season (if you can find it) ~$6/lb - and one would need ~20,000lbs+ to make a trip. The licences are many 100s of thousands of $. Do the math. Archipelago fees are ~$10,000 a trip or thereabout. Those numbers doesn't even include fuel and the rest of the costs of keeping & maintaining a large boat - which are also in the tens to hundreds of thousands $ a year.

What are your Archipelago fees? Your camera/GPS costs? Your quota costs? Do you have to purchase bycatch quota? How many area licenses do you need to buy or lease in order to maintain your business/livelihood? What does your sportsfishing licence cost?

But you seem to make the statement that it's no big deal - that "commies" have just somehow all became endowed w "multiple licences" like magic somehow -and it's really no big deal to them that they can fish. As you can see there's no magic to the fact that some of them have been able to lease/purchase multiple licences - the ones that couldn't afford it are out of business permanently.

At one time every village up and down the coast had multiple fishing boats and an economy and a lifestyle/livelihood that depended on various fisheries. - maybe only 20-30 years ago. It's all gone now. The salmon gillnet and the Zn/rockfish fleet/fishery have been particularly hard hit.

That's why I consider your comments "Yes, its unfortunate you guys can't fish, but unless you have no other licences, you're in a better position than most of the charter operators" particularly lacking depth and understanding.

Last edited:
Back