Alberni Sockeye

persistent

How is the 2020 sockeye forecast looking for the inlet? I would like to take my boys out there fishing for a couple days in early July if there is a fishery this year.

I believe it is closed for this year. I heard rumour that the number was “on the bubble” and that if a test fishery came back positive they may open it. But as of now it’s closed I believe.

Sockeye are completely unpredictable, you could have 10 times the estimate show up as easily as you could have 10% of the estimate show up.

They are predicting a **** year but really who knows.

In 2019 Fraser pinks rebounded well after their worst return ever in 2017

I think the main difference I read for this year was they were going to wait longer to see what shows up rather then opening early when numbers are less known.

DFO uses 3 models to predict the sockeye return to Alberni. All 3 models showed a low number of returning adults. The Alberni fishery and harvest decisions are managed via the Area 23 Harvest Round Table made up of stakeholders from every sector. We opted to use the most stable performing model when determining at the Area 23 Harvest Round Table what we should do about this season. It was a very difficult decision but agreement by all stakeholders that the right thing to do was take a precautionary approach and close all fishing for all sectors until we are further into the season and can determine via test fishing results what the actual returning adults are. Of particular concern is Great Central stocks which are severely depressed. We are doing our best to consider the impacts of a mixed stock fishery, and always at the forefront of our discussions is the over-riding concern to be guided by managing the fishery together to ensure it can rebound to become once again abundant.

Back