Alberni sockeye

Just talked to a couple guys today...deadsville today but there seems to be fishing swimming into nets in the river....

yikes, supposed to fish Friday/Saturday. How many hours to Rat's Nose from the river marina at 22mph? half serious. I don't do emoticons.

The gillnetters did better on the outside yesterday. The run is just starting to come in. The fish are not schooling inside yet because the water is cool enough for them to go straight up the river.The run will peak around the middle of July and if the water inside warms up they will school. Still too early for good fishing inside. JMHO

Quite a few limits for the Ladz out of China this morning. Appears to be Starting!! ;)

Launching tomorrow...

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks Matt. Fingers crossed. Are you in your Whaler? I'll be crewing on the big Lifetimer that normally ties in Ukee.
Question- if the fishing is slow, is one better off scratching with flashers and hootchies or stacking with dummies and spoons? I'm a PA virgin. I/we usually drive right through to Ukee scoffing, but I must admit I'm excited to give this a try.

Are you in your Whaler?

Nope. That one is still "in the family" but since my Buddy took the engine out, it hasn't been under my feet. Should and will eventually break down and throw another 50 or 60 on it, but simply not in the cards right now.

I'll be aboard a Blue & White 23' cruiser named Sum Fun. Can't recall the make, but will post after I look at it again... LOL!

Question- if the fishing is slow, is one better off scratching with flashers and hootchies or stacking with dummies and spoons?

I've found that varies from day to day. I tend to stack both sides as you know. Running one side with flashers/hootchie combos down below and spoons up top. Reverse that for the other side and let the fish decide. Then give them what they want ;)

Action today was from the Slide towards the Narrows. I'm thinking likely a little more inside (Dunsmuir out) tomorrow...

Cheers & Good Luck!
Nog

heard the same today... sound like a bunch are entering Barkley now and the outside water...:) Guess I'm dumping the tub into the marina in the next couple days

Would you care to elaborate on that report there Paul. Anyone else having any luck or where you were at etc.;) eman

Escapement Sproat ~27,454 31,000 to date
(combined)
(288,000)
Great Central ~3584 (199,000)
Total Catch 55,963
(Adults)
42 47% 89%
52 52% 1%
53 0% 9%
63 1% <1%
Stock
Composition
Sproat 60%
Great Central 40%
Harvest Rate 37% Max 65% (June)
Run Size Estimate 1,600,000 (no change from pre-season forecast)
*Target for the overall run size
Test Fishery Observations:
The test fishery operated on June 16 and 17. The estimates of outside and inside fish abundance were
55,000 and 5000, respectively. The test sets in the outside area were high for at this point in the run.
Test sets on the inside were very low, although the test boat (Nita Maria) observed sockeye on the
sounder at 15 to 20 fathoms.
Catch Estimates:
The total catch to date is estimated at approximately 55,963 pieces:
AREA 23 CATCH
TEST 1,554
MAANUTLH TREATY 2,643
TSU-MA-USS EO 30,430
SPORT 769
COMM GN 20,567
COMM SN -
TOTAL 55,963
Escapement Estimates:
Through June 18, total sockeye escapement to Sproat Lake is estimated at about 27,455 adults, 4735
jacks. Sockeye escapement to Great Central Lake is estimated at about 3552 adults, 407 jacks

We were fishing the shore between Mackshick to Nahmint with the regular pink squirts. From 25 to 50 feet

We are heading up this afternoon to see if we can find some socks. Was anyone out last night or this morning? Hope it starts to heat up in the inlet.

Back