Alberni salmon festival

Fished solo in Bamfeild from Bradys beach to Nanat Island on Saturday nothing all day until 4:00 pm when the big one hit in the bay just before Nanat Island at 57 ft. The fish didn't take off right away and it came to the surface and then the fish went nuts running in the 3 ft chop and me holding on for 15 mins. When it got close to the boat and I saw how big it was (40 to 50 lbs. ) I started shaking and panicing,and with my net still tuck away, I managed to get it out and in all of the excitement I forgot to move the downriggers out of the way. When the fish got close I tried to net it and I missed and the fish took off, I got it back to the boat again and missed it again. The 3rd time got it boat and reached with net and got his head in and as I was reaching the boat was rocking in the chop I slipped and hit the downrigger botton and it came up and pined off the line and cut off the cannon ball it fell off and just then big fish turn it"s head and took off and the leader broke. It was over and the fish was gone. It was dishearting to say the leased and I yell and yell. Fished Sunday same place same depts at 11:30 got a double header one fish came right out the water so I grab that rod and the other rod was peeling line and in a nut shell I lost them both and in the end I land one 14 lb coho. I didn't fish Monday morning I was burnt out and too tired. What a weekend and I"ll remember it for long time to come.

Now that's a good fish story, three thumbs up :)

Back