Alberni Inlet 2015

Hey guys,

Thinking about hitting China Creek this week (W,T,F)....I know it's really late but any Soxs still around, would b fun for the kids!

Thanks,

There were lots of them there the other day. Also some Chinooks in the mix as well. The Sox were hitting the Jellyfish Purple Haze flashers and the Allure Angel flasher (so green and silver). I tried six different types and these were the best. Got most of mine directly across from the marina along the shoreline at about 60 to 80 feet. We seem to have lost way more than we landed, 3 to 1. I don't know if they are getting a little soft or what. The Chinooks took the pink hootchies meant for the Sockeye.

There were lots of them there the other day. Also some Chinooks in the mix as well. The Sox were hitting the Jellyfish Purple Haze flashers and the Allure Angel flasher (so green and silver). I tried six different types and these were the best. Got most of mine directly across from the marina along the shoreline at about 60 to 80 feet. We seem to have lost way more than we landed, 3 to 1. I don't know if they are getting a little soft or what. The Chinooks took the pink hootchies meant for the Sockeye.

Thanks for the info, turns out the family would rather camp at the lake!!!! No Soxs for me!!

Sproat and Inlet

FWIW the trip from the lake to Clutesi only takes 15 minutes.
You could be out, fish, and be back before your wife wakes up at camp....

Thanks for the info, turns out the family would rather camp at the lake!!!! No Soxs for me!!

Are the sox still there?

Heading to Parksville on the 9 of August - bringing the fishing boat - any chance the sockeye's are still around to catch? If not I guess I will fish French Creek...

Cheers

Still sockeye in the inlet. They are getting a little on the old and tired side, but catchable numbers. I saw lots jumping over last week both outside Barkley and also all the way on run into Port Alberni so there are still some late stragglers coming. They just finished the last commercial gill net fishery for them so at least we wont have to dodge the POORLY marked nets - that was a cluster!

Sorry this is a little late of a report from the end of July. Went out for our First time last month for the rumors of an epic Sockeye run.... mostly gathered from this Forum. Learned everything there was to know from this site, so thanks for all the great reports and helpful tips. Well the First day we got out late but still managed 10. Then it happened the first rains of the summer for the next two days and the salmon fishing slowed down for us as they started to move into the rivers. Other people still seemed to be catching more than us... but hey we're amateurs and one of my down-riggers broke so we were crippled. Caught 4 each of the next two days and still lost a whole bunch, but they weren't as crazy after the rain, got lots of hits and they would come off after a few seconds. Had a great time anyways and came home with a bunch of salmon. I've been eating like a king, bbq salmon every night, haha.

Here's a video from our last day... the only nice sunny day, was beautiful out there. I have some footage from the first day I'll have to put together, but was a mess we started to find our grove and figure it out the last day.
[rGZTkBKaQbE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZTkBKaQbE

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG-20150724-WA0003.jpeg.html]

[URL=http://s14.photobucket.com/user/Brandonkop3/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150725_091904.jpg.html]

Lots of Sockeye last Tuesday/Wednesday (August 11/12). Fished deep, 100 feet, from Lone Tree to the booming grounds before China Creek. Lots of big schools that the sounder couldn't penetrate. In addition, the Coho and Chinook were there as well. 12 Sockeye, 2 Coho and 2 Chinook in the boat over the two days. Had one Chinook close to 30 pounds that had to go back.
Dave

So I take my wife out for her One day a year fishing the inlet. we got two strikes and one spring infront of the saw mill. i get back to the dock and the guys were just slaying them. What was i doing wrong???
fished 18-60 ft deep etc etc Where were the fish? any help would be great appreciated.

Early in the week when I was there the fish were further up the canal from China Creek on up. I was marking fish closer in however no bite there.

We picked up an over size at about 120 feet on sockeye gear. It simplified matters by getting off just beside the boat. Great fight with one jump. Knew right away it was too big to keep. Still some healthy sockeye around. Had one for supper last night.

We were in the water early and tried the shallow thing as suggested by others. Could see some big guys finning. After a couple of hours we decided to fish sox on one side. Had that big guy on about 5 minutes later. Fished the rest of the day with half sockeye gear and half spring gear. Had two more springs hit on the sockeye gear. Mostly deeper. I'm sure some people were catching much shallower, just not us.

Just back from 3 days at China creek. Arrived Monday night, put boat in water, set up tent, then the rain started. Buddy had just been up to cc Friday and Saturday and did very well so we were full of optimism.
Out early Tuesday fished just about everywhere from lone tree to hocking point. Scratched up one 8 lb coho on anchovie at 50 ft heading south between rockslide and the narrows. Went out for the afternoon flood missed a double header pin popper. One took the chovie ,teaser head and all. The other ,don't know ,just that it came off ( purple haze flasher and hoochie).
Wednesday decided to head to pill. Arrived at about 8. Released one probably legal spring, one smaller coho, couple shakers then kept one 6-7 pound coho, all on anchovie. Heard someone on the radio saying he had released one 86 cm and two bigger than that, wasn't aware that it changed to one over one under 77 cm, doh. Dog had to get on land so left to stop at robbers passage. Heard there was a good bite at pill that day but didn't see much going on when we were there Made a couple passes by the green can. Nothing. Out for afternoon flood Al lone tree. Picked up one coho on anchovie at 50 again.
Thursday morning headed to Underwood past leaning tree to narrows, another coho on anchovie at 60 f, then a 10-12 lb spring shortly after, again on anchovie at 60 ft.
Not the hot fishing of last week but still managed to scrape up a few. Seems like most were managing to get a couple per day..weather could have been better , but still a good couple days. And lots of the swimming dead sockeye.

Back