Al Martin passed away this morning. So sad.

OldBlackDog

Thank You Al
Earlier this week came a message that put an abrupt halt to all the angst and swirling political fog around issues like the status and future of Interior Fraser Steelhead. News that Al Martin, colleague, friend and tireless devotee to the betterment of fish and wildlife resources in British Columbia is quickly succumbing to cancer was a bombshell to say the least.

Screenshot-2019-10-12-12.30.57.png

Typical of Al, he never made mention of his personal circumstances in any of our recent interactions. Only through his closest, lifelong comrade at arms did the news of his condition get to the broad array of people who have come to know him over more than 40 years of life in the resource management trenches in this province. Generations of politicians and their high ranking support staff may not have had Al on their Christmas list but I doubt there is a single one who didn’t respect him. Among all the people I’ve been associated with in the politics of fisheries Al stood alone in being unconcerned with podiums and microphones. Instead, he chose to impress with his quiet, calculated messages registered where and when it mattered. He was the strategist I most admired from the sidelines of the fish politics playing field.

Al’s circumstances are tragic enough but the fact we don’t have much of a window to acknowledge his contribution leaves me feeling empty. I only hope he is well enough long enough to appreciate how many people whose lives he has touched in pursuit of conservation and sustainable use of BC’s fish and wildlife resources are out here.

I’m certain I speak for many in saying heartfelt thanks Al.

Al Martin passed away at 11 this morning.
So sad.

Back