AIS Class B Requirement on Charter Vessels

searun

As of June 15 this year, any vessel over 8 m (24 feet) will be required to have an operational Class A or B transceiver :

This bulletin gives you general information about the Regulations Amending the Navigation Safety Regulations (Automatic Identification Systems). These amendments will come into force on June 15, 2019.

What you need to know
Transport Canada is expanding AIS carriage requirements.

The expanded requirements will apply to every vessel on a voyage other than a sheltered waters voyage, if she is

1. certified to carry more than 12 passengers; or
  2. eight metres or more in length and is carrying passengers.
The AIS may be a Class A or Class B type.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/bulletins-2019-09-eng.htm

Sorry but does this apply only to charter boats. I understand the part about “certified to carry passengers” but what do they mean by “carrying passengers”, don’t all boats carry passengers, who would operate it if it didn’t have passengers.

Sorry but does this apply only to charter boats. I understand the part about “certified to carry passengers” but what do they mean by “carrying passengers”, don’t all boats carry passengers, who would operate it if it didn’t have passengers.
"passangers" is in the act as paying customers on a charter (business operating vessel).. "guests" are non paying customers like on a pleasure boat with friends etc.

They seem to be working down in size to all commercial boats and will I suspect eventually be required for most guide boats, even in protected waters. Their favorite Fishing Tacs and Halibut Honey Holes may get a little more crowded. Anyone will now be able to be locate and track any guide boat equipped with an AIS transceiver with any AIS receiver or any internet connected phone or laptop for that matter. Eventually DFO won't have to leave the office to identify and see if someone goes over a closure boundary etc. They will also be able to calculate amount of time on the water at fishing speed or anchored for Halibut. I think you have to leave them on if you have them, but not certain. Increasingly the World and Big Brother will be watching where your boat goes, follow its track and know if you are anchored up etc. I guess there is the advantage that you will be less likely to get run over by a big ship in the fog.

Last edited:
Here is the US reg:

Properly installed, operational means an Automatic Identification System (AIS) that is installed and operated using the guidelines set forth by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) Resolution A.917(22) and Safety of Navigation Circulars (SN/Circ.) 227, 244, 245, and SN.1/Circ.289; or National Marine Electronics Association (NMEA) Installation Standard 0400-3.10 in lieu of SN/Circ.227 and 245 (incorporated by reference, see § 164.03).

(b) USCG Type-approved* AIS Class A device:

(i) A self-propelled vessel of 65 feet or more in length, engaged in commercial service.

(ii) A towing vessel of 26 feet or more in length and more than 600 horsepower, engaged in commercial service.

(iii) A self-propelled vessel that is certificated to carry more than 150 passengers.

(iv) A self-propelled vessel engaged in dredging operations in or near a commercial channel or shipping fairway in a manner likely to restrict or affect navigation of other vessels.

(v) A self-propelled vessel engaged in the movement of –

(A) Certain dangerous cargo as defined in subpart C of part 160 of this chapter, or

(B) Flammable or combustible liquid cargo in bulk that is listed in 46 CFR 30.25–1, Table 30.25–1.

(2) AIS Class B device. AIS Class B device in lieu of an AIS Class A device is permissible on the following vessels if they are not subject to pilotage by other than the vessel Master or crew:

(i) fishing industry vessels;

(ii) Vessels identified in paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section that are certificated to carry less than 150 passengers and that–

(A) Do not operate in a Vessel Traffic Service (VTS) or Vessel Movement Reporting System (VMRS) area defined in Table 161.12(c) of § 161.12 of this chapter, and

(B) Do not operate at speeds in excess of 14 knots; and

(iii) Vessels identified in paragraph (b)(1)(iv) of this section engaged in dredging operations.

Back