Aftermarket Faria Tachometer wiring??

gungadin

Last year I installed a “tiny tach” on a 50hp tiller operated 2015 Yamaha outboard. Because it was an inductive tachometer it was a simple install. I have found though that although it is accurate at higher rpm is jumps around a lot at idle and anything below about 2000 rpm.
This year I am going to install an analog tachometer ( Faria model 33104). I am a little confused about where to pick up the "signal" and "ignition on" wire under the cowling of the outboard. I have run 16ga wires from the tachometer to under the cowling for both the “signal” and “ignition on” wires, but this is where my confusion arises.
The instructions that came with the tachometer say to hook up the signal wire to the unrectified side of the alternator, but also say there may be a tach hook up wire in the control box. Of course I have no control box.
A search on the internet yielded the possibility of several different coloured coded wires as a tach hookup wire. I have found a green with red stripe (Tachometer??) and yellow (key on ??) along with a pink and grey wire for a total of 4 (20 ga. ) wires at a small connector that goes into the tiller handle.
I think these care the wires I need to splice into, but was hoping some one on here has first hand knowledge about an aftermarket hookup.
It also appears that I can purchase a connector that would allow me to hook up to a OEM tachometer, but I don't have one of those, and as all that is required is a signal and key on and ground wire, so I should be able to hook it up. Any help here would be appreciated.

Just to keep anyone who may be interested up to date. The Faria tach is installed and working. I thought I would write a short “how to”for the benefit of anyone who might contemplate installing an after market marine tachometer on a tiller operated Yamaha.

Bear in mind this is for a 2015 F50 tiller operated Yamaha ( I strongly suspect any late model tiller operated Yamaha outboard with electric start would be the same)

First there is nothing under the cowling that I felt confident would have the two wires I required (Tachometer signal and ignition on ). As I needed an ignition on circuit to power I decided to remove the bottom side of the tiller to gain access to the ignition switch wiring. It was necessary to also remove the throttle and shifter linkage in order to get a small plate, under which the wiring is located. Once the plate was removed and the underling wiring exposed it became clear which wires I needed to use.

There is a plug (marked Yamaha) holding three bullet connectors together as a unit. The is a black wire, two yellow wires and a green wire in this trio. As they came from the ignition switch I deduced that they would likely be the ones I needed.

Black would be a ground (verified with multimeter)

The two yellows (joined in one connector) would be an ignition on connector. (verified with multimeter and 12 volt test light to only be hot when ignition switch was in the on position.

The green wire would be the tachometer signal wire. (one of the possible colours for a tachometer signal connection )

As I had already connected up the ground and light connections for the tachometer, I only needed to connect up the signal wire and the ignition on to the tachometer. I did this using soldered bullet connectors and ran them through the wiring grommets and thus back to the tachometer. Reassembled everything and ran the engine in a test tank. Tachometer worked fine.

Pictures to follow shortly

Back