Advice on the Kingfisher Angler 1825 Warrior

EasternAngler

Hi everyone,
I am in the process of looking into getting my first boat and while researching i came across the Kingfisher boats. Being from the east side i really haven't been able to get any reviews around these boats. Thought i would post here for some advice and help since these boats are well know on the west coast.
Specifically im looking at the warrior 1825 for fishing bigger lakes ( lake Ontario being 15 minutes from me ) but also to use for some family outings and tow the kids around.
Question i have is does anyone have any experience on how the boat would handle these bigger lakes be compared to others in the same category ( meaning the riveted boats).
Since im still learning and researching, the boats beam compared to other similar sized 17-18ft boats for example if i compare it to the G3 Angler which even in a 17ft length has a 96inch beam. Does the Kingfisher warrior have a disadvantage in stability due to the narrower beam and just drift fishing and the waves are 1-2 ft. How would it compare, also does the depth of the keel add to stability. Again if i compare the G3 Angler v17 has a deeper keel , what advantage or disadvantage would this have versus the shallower keel of the kingfisher warrior.
Would appreciate any input since there is a ton of choice of the other boats but after coming across the kingfisher multi species boat i really couldn't find much written about or anyone's experience with the boat. Even with dealers they seem ti not know much about the hull comparisons etc. Its basically that it seems people seem to to with the regular well known brands around here and hardly consider the Kingfisher multi species boats. I have my eye on a 2019 which the dealer seems to be willing to give me a decent price which is comparable to the other riveted boats in the same category from a price perspective.

You're gonna get general replies I think. Here's mine:

Boat design is complicated and there are numerous factors that affect any characteristic.

Stability will be affected by the beam of the boat, and also the location centre of gravity (CoG) of the boat and occupants. A wider boat will roll less in small waves, but in larger waves the roll may actually be more. If the CoG is lower the boat will be more stable. This can be done with batteries and fuel in the floor along the centreline.

The ride of a boat is affected by all sorts of things too...like the deadrise of the hull (ie degree of vee) But this is highly variable too since it depends on the weight distribution of the boat and the running attitude when on plane. If all the weight is aft and the boat rides only on the back half of the hull all these boats will ride rough.

If you focus only on the numbers you're going to reach conclusions that you can't possibly prove. Go take a few boats for a seatrial. Go rent a boat or talk to people at the ramp. Some boats are better than others, but any new boat is better than nothing!

I've spent 100s of hours operating a 18ft Lowe riveted boat for work. I found the interior to be very cheap with plywood covered with carpet. The access to the bilge was poor. However, it planed at low speed and was cheap to operate with its Merc 60 command thrust, which was an indestructible workhorse. It wasn't my favourite boat, but I would prefer it to no boat at all. Go take a look at different boats and buy what gets you most excited

Thanks guys...narrowed it down to two for now...the G3 Angler v17 and the Kingfisher 1825 ( getting them within the same pricerange) The G3 has a wider beam with a fancy dashboard and stuff and the warrior longer and welded with a simple interior and nothing to break which i like...the issue around here is the kingfisher isnt that common and the marina's arent too big on going for test rides these days they say we are so so busy this season (because of covid) and you cant just show up anymore at the Marina's due to covid and need to get an appointment etc. Ive decided to to go and have a really close look at them in the fall when things quiet down a bit. At the moment im leaning towards the kingfisher but lets see how things go. Hoping things calm down in the fall and i can go for a test ride etc. Make the purchase around Dec and put it in storage until spring....i have written off this summer because i really cant properly go have a look and decide with " how busy" the marinas area and everything is back ordered. By the time i get it and rig it its going to be the end of the season here...so i might as well have a look next couple of months and then make a decision what to go with. Until then...small landlocked lakes and my canoe is good enough!
Since you guys are from the west coast can you in general give your opinion or what you usually hear on the quality / build and long term maintenance and warranty etc of Kingfisher in general.
I really appreciate your input!
Thanks!

Riveted hulls dont really compare to a welded hull unless the welded unit is poorly crafted which the King Fisher is not. My 2 cents

Riveted hulls dont really compare to a welded hull unless the welded unit is poorly crafted which the King Fisher is not. My 2 cents

That's something that got me interested in the Kingfisher, i feel the american made boats are being priced a bit too high these days because of the exchange rate.

heres my kingfisher 1825 falcon. its like no other kingfisher 1825 falcon.
the thing i like about the falcon is you can make it your boat as opposed to other boats where the choices are limited.
i get 6.5mpg at cruise which translated to 300km of range.
basically i can take it from vancouver mainland to victoria. limits are 6 ft seas max. as long as you stay within its limits its a great boat. only thing i regret is i should have gone for the 2025 which would give me a bit more space.
01111_ecwjy4IFBMv_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

That
heres my kingfisher 1825 falcon. its like no other kingfisher 1825 falcon.
the thing i like about the falcon is you can make it your boat as opposed to other boats where the choices are limited.
i get 6.5mpg at cruise which translated to 300km of range.
basically i can take it from vancouver mainland to victoria. limits are 6 ft seas max. as long as you stay within its limits its a great boat. only thing i regret is i should have gone for the 2025 which would give me a bit more space.
01111_ecwjy4IFBMv_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

That's really nice!!.. im still trying to figure out if the Falcon and the warrior have the same hull design and specifications, i was looking at the Falcon but that might not work out for the "family recreation" side of things and smaller lakes. If it's the same hull then i guess that would answer my question of handling waves..the Falcon and warrior have the same beam length.

You are probably aware that the dead rise on the Kingfisher is only 12°.
Yes i saw that in the specs, the Falcon has the same which is why i wanted to find out if they have the same hull. The dealer said that the hulls are the same and primarily the difference is the layout. So that's one of the reasons that im leaning towards it is that it should be able to handle the waves if the winds pickup in the bigger lakes.
The specs on the G3 dont have the dead rise listed
https://www.g3boats.com/angler-v17-sf/#features

The Kingfisher is 18' 6" in length and 7ft 4 inch beam ...the G3 is 17' 2" in length and 8ft beam..basically short and much wider...

You've gotta sit in these boats and preferably take a seatrial in each. Beam measurement is just the widest part of the hull. The difference in beam that you're saying is only 8"...that can be totally eaten up by wider gunnel or other variances. Also, it's the beam at waterline that is going to affect stability, not the overall beam. Some of these aluminum boats have a very significant angle to the hullsides which results in the hull width at the waterline being significantly reduced. This can be a cost-saving measure since the bottom plate can be smaller.

Thanks...thats a good way to look at things, the more i look into it the less the specs really mean other than a basic spec sheet. Will wait until fall to try and do a trial on them. At the moment it's next to impossible with how busy the dealers and marinas seem to be.

Back