Advice on bottom fish prep.

Need a little advise on cleaning up halibut, ling cod, snapper, rock fish and so-on. We are traveling to Nootka sound for a 10 day stay and are going to have the lodge process our fish for us. Normally I would fillet and freeze immediately but this trip I am going to leave whole and have filleting done at the end of each day. So what I would like to know is, should I bleed, gut, gill and place in ice the same way I prep salmon or is there something else I should be or not be doing with these other species? Might be dumb question but I don't ever remember gutting a bottom fish, just bleed and fillet. Did a fair bit of searching and found lots on packaging and transport but not much on cleaning and care before possessing. Thanks.

In my opinion, at the very least---

Rockfish/lings etc------cut out the gills and remove from each fish. With the type of heat we've been having, you'd be better off also gutting each fish and belly-icing them the way you would a salmon ----but with enough fresh ice on an ungutted fish (that's being melted and drained off and away from the bodies) you'll probably be o.k. for one day side-stepping the gutting process. But taking out the gills? Definitely

Halibut---with a sharp knife cut down through the peduncle (about 1 1/2" above the tail) straight down through to the spine. That will start the bleeding process. Also take the gills out. Due to size, probably won't fit in a cooler with ice---However, a great cooling device on a bigger fish that you can't ice---place a bath towel or burlap bag over the body (in the shade if possible) and then continually douse the towel or bag with salt water throughout the day---you'll have nice white fletches with that tail-cut---a doused towel or burlap bag will pull off heat from the body through evaporation.

good luck!

I think Sharphooks nailed it......but for me it is outsided temperature dependent and how hot the fishing is.

With air temps that are quite common on WCVI from 15-22.....if just out for the day I would definitely bleed any fish no matter which of the bottom guys and I also do remove the gills as well.

If you've got the time and space on your boat you could always clean them further but with a decent supply of ice I would think you "should" be okay until back at the dock/cleaning table.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. Will be at Moutcha Bay from the 21st to the 30th. Been looking forward to this trip for two decades. Even if we have no fish to clean and it rains for 10 days I'll be a happy camper.

Got back from Moutcha Bay a few weeks back. Was my first time there. Had a great time, even though the majority of my hits were mackerel (great hali bait though). Ya, gill 'em for sure and ice 'em if you can. Did you book one of the yurts there? They are outstanding! Salmon 2 bucks a pound and bottom fish one buck....have fun!

Taking the motorhome, glad to here your first trip out was a good one! And yes, believe it or not, married to a woman who lives to fish for 28 yrs and we have always wanted to be able to do a trip like this.

Back