Advice on battery replacement

Whole in the Water

Need to replace my boat batteries. One starting, one deep cycle. Price difference between Interstate and Canadian Energy is $7. Slightly better warranty and specs on the Canadian Energy batteries.

Anyone have any experience with Canadian Energy batteries, aka Canada Proof?

Who makes them?

I've always had good luck with Interstates. That's what I have been using for the last 10 years. Costco Kirkland brand is a rebranded Interstate and should be a bit cheaper.

I replaced two of my batteries last year with Costco batteries. Half the price of branded batteries and I understand them to be the same as Interstate batteries. No problems, just checked the electrolyte and no loss in 1 year.

One of my nephews works for one of the largest battery companies/wholesalers. As I understand it in BC, while their are many different brands, they are pretty much all made by the same two companies. It is the type, specs. and price that are important, not the name, although brands may have different warranties. I have also heard that some of the well known brand names may switch between these two companies as to which one is making their batteries at a given point in time. At least there is some competition between the manufactures.

Last edited:
Canada proof a great batteries. I use them on my boat. Starting a 20hp 4 stroke, gps, 2 downriggers and a fish finder never have a problem. I also have one to run my electric motor when lake fishing. Also a great discount if you work for Island Health.

I have had Kirkland batteries in the past and they are good, with a great warranty and return policy, but they have no more marine batteries in stock for the forseable future except for Optima's which I do not want at this time.

I replaced two of my batteries last year with Costco batteries. Half the price of branded batteries and I understand them to be the same as Interstate batteries. No problems, just checked the electrolyte and no loss in 1 year.
Did you just plagiarize my post???? Haha

Been using Kirkland deep cycles for the past 15 years. Change them out every 4/5 years. Never let me down. Keep any battery on a trickle charge when not used regularly.
Stosh

I replaced my two boat batteries this summer and considered Costco, but the big Opti's are power hogs to start them and they did not seem to have ones big enough, in terms of cranking amps and reserve minutes. Lots of things to learn on the specs. Starting batteries, deep cycle house batteries or something that is part way in between. Sealed, open, lead acid, gel, absorbent glass mat etc. Then there is cranking amps, cold cranking amps, marine cranking amps.

I maintained a fleet of equipment200 pieces) for years and bought our batts from Canadian Energy with great success. Their warranty is solid although I didn’t have to use it too much. The original owner is a boater and they supply a large amount of the larger cruisers moored in Sidney

Canadian Energy for me for many years and no problems. The only problems I've had is when the motors unknown to me weren't charging....but that wasn't the batteries fault.

get a northstar AGM from the battery store in burnaby. the best possible batteries.

My number one rule is to avoid Canadian tire batteries. Had too many of those that don’t last a year it seems. Warranty or not, it’s not worth the headache.
Interstate only. Spend a few extra bucks and keep it charged

I replaced my two boat batteries this summer and considered Costco, but the big Opti's are power hogs to start them and they did not seem to have ones big enough, in terms of cranking amps and reserve minutes. Lots of things to learn on the specs. Starting batteries, deep cycle house batteries or something that is part way in between. Sealed, open, lead acid, gel, absorbent glass mat etc. Then there is cranking amps, cold cranking amps, marine cranking amps.

I have an Optimax 200 hp and need a powerful battery to start the Opti as do you. I am using two Costco batteries, a Group 27 starting/deep cycle 7 years old (battery 1) and an Optima blue top (battery 2). I alternate batteries each day I fish by using my battery selector switch to pick either 1 or 2. Either battery will start the Opti on its own.

I just changed the Optima battery out this year after 10 years even though it was still working o.k. This battery had to fit in a small compartment (group 24 size) and had enough CCA/MCA to start my Optimax. Whichever battery I run on for the day stays charged up with my 9.9 HT Yami kicker, then the main on the run back to the marina.
...Rob

My number one rule is to avoid Canadian tire batteries. Had too many of those that don’t last a year it seems. Warranty or not, it’s not worth the headache.
Interstate only. Spend a few extra bucks and keep it charged

I always get 5-7 years from the crappy tire battery's

im an automotive mechanic, canadian tire batteries suck. ive had great luck with interstate. most importantly learn some about the type of batteries you need or are buying, ie deep cycle, starting, checking levels, electrolite S.G.etc. and keep the terminals clean and free of corrosion

A starting battery can be properly charged by a stock alternator. A deep cycle battery cannot. It's not going to (most likely at least) blow-up/catch fire, but it will fail prematurely. The real issue is the impact of a premature house battery failure. If you are a day-tripper, not a big deal. If you are out on a week-long trip in remote locations, big deal. Stosh's method is a reasonable compromise. To a large extent, the voltage level of a battery is indicative of it's health. A battery that will not charge to higher than 12.8 volts is near death, with around 12 volts being death. This premature failure is caused by the stock alternator overcharging the house battery; with a common symptom of needing to add water often to a non-sealed battery.
You could get a rough idea of if or not you are overcharging the house battery by calculating how much charge you are removing (how many amp hours your down riggers/instruments/fridge/etc use per day) versus how many amp hours your alternator puts back in per day. In all cases, you should have the batteries hooked to a shore charger with the correct charging profile for your battery most of the time - a month or so w/o the charger should be OK; AGM's can go longer as their self discharge rate is lower.

I have used Costco starting/deep cycle batteries and they have never failed me. After 5-6 years they are replaced.

Back