Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

“To the DFO this is out of their league to fix and to the feds just too difficult and expensive. So its just easier and cheaper to cut out fishing as the solution.”

Completely agree - having sat in on and chaired far too many budget meetings over time, all I can see is the Rec Fisherman as the lowest fruit while not being the actual place to cut.

At least some think what I believe to be the truth. This is NOT about saving whales, this is FED DFO ********, the dumbed down public believes we are the reason for no salmon and hence the reduction of the whales. As long as DFO, Mr liar, do as I say and not do and his team keeps this window dressing up we will continue to be the only targets. Its not about saving the whales, science states we are the smallest part of the reason of a huge problem but we are the only segment receiving action. The rest is talk, talk, talk. Does anyone really think a large enough pinniped cull will happen, will FN stop fishing chinook in the Fraser, will there be more hatchery fish, will $$$$ be given for enhancement?

Its a Liberal mirror, same as Bill-71 nothing to do with whales. Some still believe in Sunny Ways/Days.

HM

Following our meeting with DFO to review the Critical Habitat designation under SARA, and learn more about the consultation process several of the attendees have written letters directly to the Minister. We were fortunate to have MP Gord Johns attend the meeting, and he has written the following letter:

upload_2018-7-12_13-15-31.png

Here's a letter that was sent from a coalition of concerned groups. Please feel free to use some of the content for ideas as to how to craft your letter. Its never too late to send your letter. The more people who write in the better, and your efforts are greatly appreciated - thank you!!

Honorable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Environment and Climate Change

ec.ministre-minister.ec@canada.ca

Honorable Dominic LeBlanc, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans Canada

min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Sent via email

July 11, 2018

RE: External Review of Draft Amended Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales

Hon. McKenna and LeBlanc,

Please accept this letter on behalf of the following groups:

•  West Coast Aquatic Governance Board

•  West Coast Fishing Guides Association

•  Alberni Sport Fish Advisory Committee

•  Area G Trollers Association

•  BC Commercial Fishing Caucus

On July 10, 2018, a conference call was held between the DFO SARA Directorate, West Coast Aquatic representatives and other groups on the West Coast of Vancouver Island regarding the 30-day external review of the draft Recovery Strategy Amendment. West Coast Aquatic brings together diverse people who are passionate about the west coast of Vancouver Island – people who make a living from its waters, rely on its health for food, and protect its beauty – to help improve their connection with the living landscape that they are a part of. The WCA Governance Board includes representatives from all levels of government, Nuu-chah-nulth, aboriginal fishing, commercial fishing, sport fishing, environment, labour, processing, tourism & recreation, aquaculture, marine transportation, and forestry.

There are a few points made on the call that we wish to formally document as part of the external review process.

First, there is strong concern about the science advice that has been used to inform the Recovery Strategy amendment. The Canadian Science Advisory Secretariat (CSAS) Science Advisory Report 2017/011 titled “Identification of Habitats of Special Importance to Resident Killer Whales Off the West Coast of Canada” is cited as the catalyst for considering the waters on the continental shelf off southwestern Vancouver Island (including Swiftsure and La Pérouse Banks) as additional critical habitat. A major weakness in this report is that local or traditional knowledge holders were not a formal part of the process that led to the writing of that report. For instance, from the one-hour discussion with local and traditional knowledge holders, it is clear that there are issues with using acoustic data from Swiftsure Bank as an indicator for whale activity at La Pérouse Bank. Local and Indigenous knowledge holders are prepared to work with the Department on practical ways for their knowledge to better inform decisions about critical habitat.

Second, the 30 day review period for this external review, and the upcoming 60 day public consultation of the proposed Recovery Strategy amendment fail to meet the August 19, 2016 Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard Mandate Letter direction to “work with...Indigenous Peoples, and other stakeholders to better co-manage our three oceans”.
Further, the Department of Justice’s Principles Respecting the Government of Canada’s Relationship with Indigenous Peoples states that “meaningful engagement with Indigenous peoples aims to secure their free, prior and informed consent when Canada proposes to take actions which impact them and their rights on their lands, territories, and resources. Both the 30 and 60 day processes are being or will be held during the fishing season, and neither include in- community sessions. Compared to the duration and process afforded to develop the CSAS paper, the consultation process is not conducive to ensuring the adequate inclusion of local and indigenous knowledge. This directly and negatively affects the ability for local and indigenous knowledge to be meaningfully considered as part of the decision making process.

Third, communication is needed regarding what possible management measures are being discussed by Government in the proposed critical habitat areas. Again, local and Indigenous knowledge holders have valuable information to contribute to this discussion. While DFO has stated that there are no immediate plans to add fishing closures in 2018 (as one example of a possible management measure), now is the time to engage communities regarding future measures.

We are calling upon the Department to: 1) immediately extend the timelines for this process; 2) reconsider the science being used to inform the Recovery Strategy amendment once local and Indigenous knowledge has been included; and 3) commit to working with First Nations, fishers, and other community groups, in a meaningful process, on designing critical habitat measures to address killer whale recovery.

Sincerely,

Tony Bennett
Co-Chair
West Coast Aquatic Governance Board

Bob Cole
Alternate
Alberni Sport Fish Advisory Committee

Jim McIsaac
Coordinator
BC Commercial Fishing Caucus

Pat Ahern
President
West Coast Fishing Guide Association

Original Signed

Doug Kimoto
Director
West Coast (Area G) Trollers Association

Response:
Please direct responses to Tawney Lem, Executive Director, West Coast Aquatic

tawney@westcoastaquatic.ca

CC:
Heather Brekke - DFO SARA Recovery Planner

Heather.Brekke@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Christie McMillan - DFO Senior Habitat Assessment Biologist

Christie.Mcmillan@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Thanks for posting those letters searun ....kudos to you as well for all your time and dedication to this.

Science is sooooo off balance in this SARA and DFO decision making its insane.
We are allowing fake news to determine way toooo much.
We need to stand up and demand , more proof and better studies and science.
I see more and more ISSUES , the list grows...
WE need a HUGE protest blockade under lions gate bridge..CLOSING ALL TRAFFIC IN AND OUT.
That will be the only way to wake up OTTAWA and get attention to the centre of the universe.
Demand the survival of the WEST COAST that is grossly mismanaged and underfunded by DFO and OTTAWA.
I predict within a few short yrs , between the fake science and dfo and sara and supreme court nonjustices , the only people allow to eat from the pacific will be FN...and Ottawa still wont spend a dime to enhance it.

Last edited:
Science is sooooo off balance in this SARA and DFO decision making its insane.
We are allowing fake news to determine way toooo much.
We need to stand up and demand , more proof and better studies and science.
I see more and more ISSUES , the list grows...
WE need a HUGE protest blockade under lions gate bridge..CLOSING ALL TRAFFIC IN AND OUT.
That will be the only way to wake up OTTAWA and get attention to the centre of the universe.
Demand the survival of the WEST COAST that is grossly mismanaged and underfunded by DFO and OTTAWA.
I predict within a few short yrs , between the fake science and dfo and sara and supreme court nonjustices , the only people allow to eat from the pacific will be FN...and Ottawa still wont spend a dime to enhance it.

Yup....fake science..... or as others are calling it ...... weak science. In other words DFO may be cherry picking science and using the killer whale to win public support for what they ultimately want to do..... reduce fishing. As others have said earlier in this thread, DFO may be going through the motions of public consultation as evidenced by the fast tracked July 11 deadline and an obvious lack of true consultation with anyone at local levels . These are a bunch of paper shuffling bureaucrats who live in an alternate world, who for the most part know didley about what's out there, couldn't manage their way out of a paper bag, let alone manage fisheries, and would be shredded to pieces by fishermen who know their waters. So they are trying to avoid that and appear to have put on the blinders, are forging ahead, relying heavily on the key words "threatened" and "endangered" to support their weak science for what may ultimately be a federally exaggerated killer whale issue. What better way to get public support for closures than by using whales as pawns, to tug at the heartstrings of people. To implement serious fishing reductions, do it big and do it fast. Get the bitter pill over with as quickly as possible.... and see it fade into unimportance before the next election........... and .....ffffade awayyyyyyy................

This is not to take away from the deteriorating environmental issues that need fixing. Unfortunately the DFO and federal government may be twisting environmental science or truth to serve hidden agendas.

Premier John Horgan's letter - a lot of groups working behind the scenes to build political support to respectfully remind the Fisheries Minister that the science behind these SARA designations and ultimate management measures that will follow in 2019, are very loosely connected to a truly thorough scientific review.

Many of the people who frequent these habitats (Commercial Trollers, FN's, Rec fishers) are all questioning the conclusions reached in the CSAS science advisory study - its totally out of sync with observations gathered by these non-science people (some of whom have over 50 years on the water experience).

Following this 30 day external review, DFO's SARA team will assess the input received and then initiate a formal 60 day public consultation process required under SARA. That process requires a nation wide "on-line" feedback process. There were no direct public meeting consultations, or visits to potentially impacted communities planned. We are hopeful to convince DFO to consider public meetings and community consultations.

The letter:

upload_2018-7-14_9-29-45.png
upload_2018-7-14_9-30-48.png

Here's an interesting study completed n 2017 for the Pacific Salmon Commission that sets out the economic value of the fishery. Notice the significant contribution to Canada that the rec fishery makes. Many small coastal communities and their leadership are oblivious to the significant economic activity related to recreational fisheries in their communities. Part of our planned outreach will be to provide this analysis to help build local political support for protecting the essence of what recreational fisheries require to remain healthy and vibrant.

http://www.psc.org/download/333/spe...nomic-impacts-of-pacific-salmon-fisheries.pdf

upload_2018-7-14_9-50-0.png

Here's an interesting study completed n 2017 for the Pacific Salmon Commission that sets out the economic value of the fishery. Notice the significant contribution to Canada that the rec fishery makes. Many small coastal communities and their leadership are oblivious to the significant economic activity related to recreational fisheries in their communities. Part of our planned outreach will be to provide this analysis to help build local political support for protecting the essence of what recreational fisheries require to remain healthy and vibrant.

http://www.psc.org/download/333/spe...nomic-impacts-of-pacific-salmon-fisheries.pdf

View attachment 38933

right on - good stuff. Quite shocking that the small coastal community leaders can be so oblivious to the value of rec fishing!

Yup. Sad truth is most of the recreational activities in their communities has just become white noise. No one will notice until it stops.

We need to do a better job building awareness. A well funded social media campaign along with Community Outreach will be necessary in order to help the public and community leaders to see the value and economic opportunities lost if we don’t nurture the key elements necessary to support a healthy and vibrant Rec fishery.

Thanks also for the links to other economic data. If anyone finds more please post it up.

I have sent my input to DFO. I also emailed Andrew Sheer, Rona Rae Lenorad, and Gordon johns. That would be the conservative leader, my MLA, and MP. I would ask all on this forum to do the same. Our voice is just to small yet we drive the most in economic dollars as rec fishermen in the fishery dollar to fish.
Now my rant
The commercial fishery is a welfare fishery, taking hatchery fish paid for by tax dollars then collecting employment insurance from my payroll deductions when they are not fishing! I am a west coast business owner and have lost good employees so they could make a what I could pay them fishing then top it up with Ei! Then ask me to pay them cash when they are not fishing! Cut the Ei! There will be less commercial fishers.If your not a fisherman it's like pulling teeth to get EI! Joke!
Rant over... Ready to be ripped ...lol

Well I received an email from Andrew Sheer's staff. My email has been forwarded to MP Todd Doherty shadow minister of DFO. I then sent an email to Mr. Doherty directly.
My local MLA and MP have not reposed to my emails. I'm not surprised on that one......to busy making sure the crack heads are healthy enough to steal my fishing gear!

The email was from a staff member. They thanked me for my email and said they forwarded my email to the shadow minister of DFO Todd Doherty. I then followed up with a new email to him. I will report back with what his staff has to say.

The email was from a staff member. They thanked me for my email and said they forwarded my email to the shadow minister of DFO Todd Doherty. I then followed up with a new email to him. I will report back with what his staff has to say.
Thanks for reaching out to Andrew - please keep the pressure on for a response and tell them specifically that you will be posting it up on a forum for everyone to read! We need to keep this pubic and visible and hold all parties accountable for their actions. Our future fishery depends upon everyone doing anything they can to raise awareness and hold politicians accountable to act in a fair-minded science based way.

Thanks for reaching out to Andrew - please keep the pressure on for a response and tell them specifically that you will be posting it up on a forum for everyone to read! We need to keep this pubic and visible and hold all parties accountable for their actions. Our future fishery depends upon everyone doing anything they can to raise awareness and hold politicians accountable to act in a fair-minded science based way.

I will searun. I'm requesting a face to face meeting with Todd Doherty. I will be persistent!

Back