Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

No, you got it all wrong! What we must demand from DFO is to close this whole WCVI area from whale watchers so the scientific study that DFO is doing can be properly conducted! I hope all your letters reflect that and focus on this. "Fishing closure fine, but please along with a whale watch closure!", right searun!?

I can see this was really directed me not Searun. Can please do me a favor? Unless you want to add something on here to help maybe don't post. This isn't really a joke on what could happen here, and just FYI your view is the minority now in your area. I am sorry to say. Anyhow just got about 20 guys in my area to send letters in tonight. Go Area 18.

Gsa is hosting a info event tommorow on salt spring to spread the fear mongering half truths so wish we could be as organized against this attack on our past time

Gsa is hosting a info event tommorow on salt spring to spread the fear mongering half truths so wish we could be as organized against this attack on our past time

Makes me laugh how pointless these people see their lives. Of all the things you could do with your spare time, family, sports...I don’t know, anything, these people just love the miserable company that events like this provide.

Just take a look at the crowds at the near never ending protests these days, they really are a strange bunch. I honestly think they are just lonely and want a club to join.

The rest of us have lives and the idea of wasting time at a protest doesn’t even get a second thought. You have to decide these issues at the ballot box. Firmly.

After seeing a lack of media attention on the impacts on local communities of the possibility of closing Swiftsure to​
LaPerouse
Bank, I was very happy to see Mike Hicks generating media awareness in the Times Colonist as well as this article in the Sooke News - https://sooke.pocketnews.ca/directo...d-to-a-fed-fishing-closure-call-for-feedback/
I reached out to the SFI regarding lack of media attention and was told. " It is important to note that there is no proposal for closure of sport fishing from Swiftsure to LaPerouse Banks at this time." They also believe now during prime salmon fishing time is not the time to generate media awareness. So it would seem that there is no sense of urgency here by SFI. I was very disappointed by the response from the SFI and personally strongly disagree.​

Makes me laugh how pointless these people see their lives. Of all the things you could do with your spare time, family, sports...I don’t know, anything, these people just love the miserable company that events like this provide.

Just take a look at the crowds at the near never ending protests these days, they really are a strange bunch. I honestly think they are just lonely and want a club to join.

The rest of us have lives and the idea of wasting time at a protest doesn’t even get a second thought. You have to decide these issues at the ballot box. Firmly.

You ever notice there are mainly two types that attend these type of things. There are the rich and stupid that drive there in their Audi's and Hummers or cruise there in their 50' boats and enjoy an afternoon of wine and cheese while awaiting their Eco hero speaker to show up, or it's the stoned, has nothing always will be nothing lazy butt that goes through life clueless and with their hand out. These are the types deciding the fate of our country and communities. As you state the working man is well,, working he has no time to organize and get out to these things. Sad state of affairs it is.

I sent my feedback online and sent letters to DFO as well.

I would also like to join any association that will advocate and organize on the behalf of the sport fish community. Anyone have any recommendations? Is SVIAC the group we should all be members of? Are there any others?

When I consider the thousands of dollars per year I spend on fishing and how important the advocacy side is becoming to us I think tossing a couple groups an extra $50 per year would be a really good investment for all of us to consider.

Know who you are up against: Wheat for Whales

Rachael Merrett

GSA - Species Protection Coordinator

Rachael hails from the Saskatchewan prairies, having left the wheat fields for whales on the coast of British Columbia. She focused her post-secondary education on wildlife and fisheries conservation and marine science. Rachael has worked in the whale watching industry as a marine naturalist for nearly a decade, educating people from around the world about the unique species that live in the Salish Sea and why we need to protect this special area. She also has a background in fisheries monitoring having worked for Archipelago Marine Research. She really loves to be on the water in any capacity, whether that is a boat, kayak, paddleboard, or going snorkelling. Rachael is passionate about volunteering as a coordinator for the Global Ghost Gear Initiative, an international organization working on the issue of derelict fishing gear in all the world’s oceans.

This young lady, from Saskatchewan moved to BC and now the Species Protection Coordinator at GSA. She is the one who put out the recent GSA newsletter that just came out and informs of GSA's push to create more critical habitat through SARA - what could close recreational and commercial fishing off WCVI . I note she has worked in the whale watching industry for 10 years and apparently has had some amount of post secondary wildlife and fisheries education (??) Whale watching connection is not surprising as that's saving our whales, right? Likely little or no knowledge about recreational fishing and the benefits the sector brings to BC. Nobody knows if recreational fishing is actually causing any adverse affect on the ability for SRKW to forage so these guys certainly don't either. This young lady apparently has also become very passionate about cleaning up old fishing gear from the ocean through her interest in the GGGI organization. I'm starting to see where the one track thinking might be coming from.... know who you are up against, and it could help.

I sent my feedback online and sent letters to DFO as well.

I would also like to join any association that will advocate and organize on the behalf of the sport fish community. Anyone have any recommendations? Is SVIAC the group we should all be members of? Are there any others?

When I consider the thousands of dollars per year I spend on fishing and how important the advocacy side is becoming to us I think tossing a couple groups an extra $50 per year would be a really good investment for all of us to consider.

SFI , PSF and WCFGA (guiding association that has worked hard) are a few more. PSF is more about research. At times you may not agree with every idea or action of the organization you choose but IMO as long as most of it aligns with your thinking, then donate.

SFI , PSF and WCFGA (guiding association that has worked hard) are a few more. PSF is more about research. At times you may not agree with every idea or action of the organization you choose but IMO as long as most of it aligns with your thinking, then donate.

thanks! I signed up to be a member of SFI, SVIAC and made a donation to PSF. I encourage/challenge other's to do the same. I've taken lots from the fishery and hopefully those organizations can put something back

After seeing a lack of media attention on the impacts on local communities of the possibility of closing Swiftsure to
LaPerouse
Bank, I was very happy to see Mike Hicks generating media awareness in the Times Colonist as well as this article in the Sooke News - https://sooke.pocketnews.ca/directo...d-to-a-fed-fishing-closure-call-for-feedback/

I reached out to the SFI regarding lack of media attention and was told. " It is important to note that there is no proposal for closure of sport fishing from Swiftsure to LaPerouse Banks at this time." They also believe now during prime salmon fishing time is not the time to generate media awareness. So it would seem that there is no sense of urgency here by SFI. I was very disappointed by the response from the SFI and personally strongly disagree.​
Just like there was no proposal to close Otter Point ? Our provincial groups need to start making noise NOW even if it is prime fishing season, otherwise we might not have much of one next year .

anyone think this is a passive security measure for all the new lng and dirty oil tanker traffic?

less eyes and easier monitoring of who enters?

Last edited:
anyone think this is a passive security measure for all the new lng and dirty oil tanker traffic?

No this is about how Canada's going to make 10% of its waters into MPA's. Its about honoring commitments to international organizations. We already have some in place in BC, Think of the thermal vents off of WVCI.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X17308075

What counts in making marine protected areas (MPAs) count? The role of legitimacy in MPA success in Canada

"In the face of growing marine biodiversity loss, the need for increased protection of the oceans has become a priority issue for marine managers (Agardy et al., 2003, Wenzel et al., 2016, Worm et al., 2006). In response, marine protected areas (MPAs) have become one of the most powerful marine management tools used worldwide for conserving species and habitats, maintaining ecosystem functioning, and ensuring sustainable use of marine resources (Agardy et al., 2011, Bennett and Dearden, 2014, Mascia, 2003). From increasing the reproductive potential of great scallops (Pecten maximus) by 13-fold in the Irish Sea, to successfully preventing any further population decline of northern bottlenose whales(Hyperoodon ampyllatus) off Nova Scotia, Canada, the conservation successes from MPAs have not gone unnoticed (Agardy et al., 2003, Beukers-Stewart et al., 2005, O’Brien and Whitehead, 2013)."

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...new-marine-protection-measures-677651163.html

Government of Canada Announces Plans for New Marine Protection Measures

"The Government of Canada remains committed to increasing the portion of protected marine and coastal areas to 10% by 2020, to ensure a healthy and sustainable marine environment now and for future generations."

Last edited:
That’s a good video. Looks like out ocean will be overflowing with salmon before you know it. It’s looking up here people... SURE BUD

That’s a good video. Looks like out ocean will be overflowing with salmon before you know it. It’s looking up here people... SURE BUD

Haha yeah don’t drink the liberal government koolaid. Or wear their rose coloured glasses.

Thanks everyone for your assistance. Please take a moment and respond to the feedback. The online form involves responding to 3 questions that will take you no more than 10 minutes.

As you can appreciate the SARA process requires the area to be designated as Critical Habitat, and from there under SARA the full legal protection will lead to management measures. The timeline for those management measures would not likely take place until 2019.

Notwithstanding, the big concern is there is a significant lack of scientific evidence that demonstrates Resident Killer Whales (RKW) actually use the habitat on LaPerouse Bank in particular.

Designation as CH will almost certainly lead to mandatory legal protection measures under SARA within 180 days of the designation per the SARA legislation. The time to act is now, and we are hearing there is a further online SARA public input process that will likely take place in the August to October timeline. While this is a good development, pay attention....designation of these areas as Critical Habitat (CH) under SARA means there will be legal protection measures implemented - you all know what happened in Area 20 as an example.

In particular, we need to challenge significant lack of hard scientific evidence that RKW actually use this habitat in a way or frequency that makes it significant enough to be designated as Critical Habitat under SARA.

SARA Process Timeline:

•  New science advice (DFO Science Advisory Report 2017/011) - spring 2017.

•  CH must be included in a recovery strategy or action plan for the species.

•  Amendment to RKW Recovery Strategy to incorporate CH revisions.

•  30-day external review of draft Amended RS (June 12 – July 11, 2018).

•  60-day public consultation of proposed Amended RS (August 2018).

•  Final Amended RS posted to public registry (anticipated by end of 2018).

•  Within 180 days – legal protection of CH.

So I will call out the obvious, so please forgive me. Notice that in the timeline, the final amended Recovery Strategy will be posted by the end of 2018. Within 180 days per SARA, any management measures have to be implemented. That timeline ends March 30

Also notice that the deadline for the IFMP (Integrated Fisheries Management Plan) is also March 30 each year! A coincidence? I thinks not. We will have all this wrapped up just in time to have it entered into the IFMP and placed into the fishing plans and regulations...just like the last "process."

Is all this "consultation" just an exercise to say "we have been consulted" - I strongly suspect yes. Is the designation of these areas as Critical Habitat more or less a done deal? From what I read in the timelines and all the literature provided thus far, everyone is talking about "when" not "if" these areas will be designated under SARA.

Call me paranoid, or perhaps more than a little jaded after the Area 20 "process"

I'm hoping the great silent majority of rec anglers awake - we are being led to slaughter folks....this is a DONE DEAL. These areas WILL be designated as Critical Habitat under SARA despite the severe lack of scientific evidence to support it.

Last edited:
Back