Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

I think many of you know me here. I split my time between whale watching and fishing, and have done so for many years. I just want to offer that we seldom see orca here. As one who actively seeks out whales, I am lucky to spot them less than once a month. Also when they are seen, probably 98% of the time they are T pod, or Biggs Transients. I believe I have seen the SRKW here twice. I have never seen NRKWs. (the SRKW did pass through here about five miles offshore last week, but all reports were of travelling). I am finding it difficult to believe that our area is being deemed a critical habitat for the NRKWs and SRKWs. I would personally, like to see more science and data collection before such a closure takes effect. I believe there may be better strategies, such as salmon enhancement and habitat restoration, as well as studying the predation at the river mouths etc. that offer viable solutions to the 'food source' problem. I am no expert, this is just my observations and opinion.

Those on the water observations would be extremely helpful for you to include in your feedback to DFO. The issue is Dr. Ford's paper is being used to justify the expanded critical habitat - and he basis his conclusions on assumptions that because areas of LaPerouse are important areas for chinook fishing (rec and commercial), that these areas must too be of significant importance for whales. He justifies the lack of sightings and actual evidence of whales using this habitat by saying that few whale watching and other research efforts operate in these areas...so connects the dots that because the area is good chinook fishing, it must therefore be important to whales even though there is not much documented evidence of whales in fact using the habitat. Poor scientific conclusions in my view.

I have sent my input to DFO. I also emailed Andrew Sheer, Rona Rae Lenorad, and Gordon johns. That would be the conservative leader, my MLA, and MP. I would ask all on this forum to do the same. Our voice is just to small yet we drive the most in economic dollars as rec fishermen in the fishery dollar to fish.
Now my rant
The commercial fishery is a welfare fishery, taking hatchery fish paid for by tax dollars then collecting employment insurance from my payroll deductions when they are not fishing! I am a west coast business owner and have lost good employees so they could make a what I could pay them fishing then top it up with Ei! Then ask me to pay them cash when they are not fishing! Cut the Ei! There will be less commercial fishers.If your not a fisherman it's like pulling teeth to get EI! Joke!
Rant over... Ready to be ripped ...lol

I have submitted my survey. We need to write more letters. We need to flood the powers that be with volume. Let us be heard that this is not acceptable. We are going to lose this if we don't. I want my kids to fish!

Perhaps one of our excellent writers here could draft a generic letter that the less eloquent of us could use as a template?

I have sent my input to DFO. I also emailed Andrew Sheer, Rona Rae Lenorad, and Gordon johns. That would be the conservative leader, my MLA, and MP. I would ask all on this forum to do the same. Our voice is just to small yet we drive the most in economic dollars as rec fishermen in the fishery dollar to fish.
Now my rant
The commercial fishery is a welfare fishery, taking hatchery fish paid for by tax dollars then collecting employment insurance from my payroll deductions when they are not fishing! I am a west coast business owner and have lost good employees so they could make a what I could pay them fishing then top it up with Ei! Then ask me to pay them cash when they are not fishing! Cut the Ei! There will be less commercial fishers.If your not a fisherman it's like pulling teeth to get EI! Joke!
Rant over... Ready to be ripped ...lol
I Have contacted my MP Sonja Furstenau her fellow MP Adam Olsen MLA Alistair MacGregor. I plan to contact Lizzy May next week, and am working on a letter to Justin Rebeca Reid and Dominic LeBlanc. So far none of the Island Mp/ MLA's were aware of the problem

Fisheries in Puget Sound was supposed to be hatching salmonids with out "tack on license fee." It was started by Senator Bob Oke. Good idea but the money never was fully devoted to fish enhancement. Diverted, sound familiar(???). He is gone a long time now and an audit showed Wash Dept Fish Wildlife obfuscated and never met those requirements by a forced audit from our attorney general. Fisheries allowed the draggers to destroy South Puget Sound bottom fish and it never recovered. I would suspect Canadian Fisheries might be slightly better at management, maybe, but it smells more like reactionary policy against non-organized recreational fisherman.

Our boating manufacturing industry has never fully recovered, and so it is along with all the ancillary industries. It would be nice to see everyone get together in BC and work out a truly science based solution that enhances, rather than merely cuts seasons every year as does WA State. I will remain hopeful BC can set an example for WA. I sent my letter in, but finding hard core non-biased scientists at the governmental level is a tough mountain to climb. Hard core truthful science has been replaced with sensitivity training and feelings as to what is "right" in the USA. That's not science, and I would suspect the infection is present in Canada. Best of luck to my friends in Canada, who are much more civil, polite, and all around better people than most around my parts. Good people everywhere, but more agenda driven socials down here. In other words, anti-fisherman vegetarians who will do or say anything to stop non-vegans along with anti-fossil based recreation. Our boats are fossil fuel driven remember.

Anyway, best of luck. But keeping my 1993 Pursuit and not buying any new boats anytime soon, only to see it sit in the yard in Gig Harbor until I can fish Canada every year. Used to go every time and catch a nice fish around here. Same thing coming to BC soon mi amigos unless you get organized. Your Fisheries jobs won't go away, only your fish. Counted 5 fish checkers for 70 boats at Neah Bay. Used to be hardly any fish checkers around and plenty of fish. Now they jump you before you have a chance to tie all your mooring lines.

Last edited:
What’s the limit on killer whales ?let’s cut plug a salmon,limit out and be done with this **** !!! Lolol ****** feds all have thier heads up there’s asses. I wonder how much tax a whale pays in a year? I guess it’s more than all of ukee,bamfield and Port Alberni, Port tenfrew,sooke victoria all put together what a joke !!!!

What I don't get is how many whales is enough, do we need 100 or 200 resident whales out there. Who says 50 - 75 whales isn't enough. I don't think any sane person wants these animals wiped out but maybe a few less is OK, is a couple whales worth people's lively hoods. Resident, transient, when we are out there fishing and those transient pods come through doesn't seem to be any shortage of them suckers. Maybe these resident whales are a little week, maybe they can't adjust to changes very well, natures law dictates if you are weak you fall off the scale. I thought people have learned to quit screwing with Mother Nature, maybe not.

Our endangered species act caused hatcheries to shut down based on the thought process hatcheries hurt wild salmon. It seems to me in order to enhance wild stocks, fisheries should have caught wild stocks and enhanced their egg survival rates and stream/river rearing beds. Enhance habitat but don't harm Peter to save Paul. Find ways to enhance herring supply, habitat and hatchery salmon. The NW used to feed millions of salmon. Get back to that situation rather than just cut, cut, cut.

I Have contacted my MP Sonja Furstenau her fellow MP Adam Olsen MLA Alistair MacGregor. I plan to contact Lizzy May next week, and am working on a letter to Justin Rebeca Reid and Dominic LeBlanc. So far none of the Island Mp/ MLA's were aware of the problem
If any local MLA told you they are unaware of the problem they are either Lying or need to pay more attention to local issues. The Green Party has proclaimed their undying love of wild salmon numerous times during Question Period, pushed for a study group etc. ,hard to believe they are unaware of the draconian measures the Feds have brought in to save them. A more likely scenario than them being “unaware”, is that they don’t want to alienate their eco tourism friends and the save the everything legion of supporters.

At any rate it never hurts to remind them whether they are unaware of major local issues or don’t support you on them, come election time you can fire them!

Last edited:
If any local MLA told you they are unaware of the problem they are either Lying or need to pay more attention to local issues. The Green Party has proclaimed their undying love of wild salmon numerous times during Question Period, pushed for a study group etc. ,hard to believe they are unaware of the draconian measures the Feds have brought in to save them. A more likely scenario than them being “unaware”, is that they don’t want to alienate their eco tourism friends and the save the everything legion of supporters.

At any rate it never hurts to remind them whether they are unaware of major local issues or don’t support you on them, come election time you can fire them!

I have not had direct contact with any politician , only the office grunts. Adam Olsen is in "holiday" I am waiting to hear his actual position on this, I too find it hard to believe he has no idea

So here is what we are up against. The Green ENGO's are mounting social media campaigns to GET YOU OFF THE WATER. Make no bones about it, they are not your friends! Please encourage everyone you know who cares about recreational fishing to provide their feedback. We had only 30 days to provide input and consult. It appears the railroad is well underway.

#OrcasCantWait

Say Yes to Additional Critical Habitat!

DEADLINE: JULY 11th, 2018

The endangered Southern Resident killer whale population is now down to just 75 individuals. Threats to their survival include:

• A lack of abundant Chinook salmon
  • toxic contamination
  • vessel noise and disturbance
With your support, GSA and our allies have been working hard to hold the federal government accountable to their responsibility to protect this iconic species and we are finally starting to see them taking actions to address the threats that face this population. Our work is not done however -we need to keep pushing for more effective, enforceable and immediate measures if the Southern Residents are to have a fighting chance at survival.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is conducting an external review of the critical habitat section of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales. This review is open to public comment until July 11th and you can show your support for designating additional areas as critical habitat for both the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales!

Proposed additional critical habitat off southwestern Vancouver Island includes the Canadian portions of Swiftsure Bank and other shallow banks including La Pérouse Bank, where studies show that these areas are frequently used by both Northern and Southern Resident orca populations in all months of the year. Maps of the areas can be found on pages 60 & 61 of the Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada. DFO has stated that this area is known to be among the most productive fishing areas for Chinook salmon on the west coast of North America. Chinook salmon comprise up to 90% of the Resident killer whale diet.

The number of endangered Southern Resident killer whales is at a 30-year low. The recent loss of Crewser (L-92) from the Southern Resident population speaks to the urgency of the situation the killer whales are in.Tell the government that you want to see more critical habitat protected for both Northern and Southern resident killer whales— and why — by filling out the “additional feedback” section of this online consultation form.

Read the full External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada: Discussion guide

Show Your Support Now

Making waves for change,

Rachael Merrett

Species Protection Coordinator

Southern Resident orcas are facing extinction - please help GSA push for action from DFO before it's too late

Georgia Strait Alliance

201-195 Commercial St. Nanaimo

V9R 5G5, Canada

www.GeorgiaStrait.org

Tweet

Forward

[if (mso)|(IE)]></td></tr></table><![endif]

[if (mso)|(IE)]><table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" role="presentation"><tr class="layout-email-footer"><td style="width: 600px;" class="w560"><![endif]

Unsubscribe

Fin Donnelly the NDP’s Critic for Fisheries, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard will be in Duncan on July 18. So clear your calendars and lets have a big turnout and start to make some political noise with all levels of government. Tell them how much money is being removed from the economy from you not fishing and remind them how much enhancement work will disappear if our opportunity to fish is taken away. What will happen to the whales then?
Wednesday July 18th, 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Lecture Theatre, VIU Cowichan Campus
2011 University Way
Duncan, British Columbia V9L0C7
http://alistairmacgregor.ndp.ca/town-hall-on-fish-farms-and-fisheries

I have not had direct contact with any politician , only the office grunts. Adam Olsen is in "holiday" I am waiting to hear his actual position on this, I too find it hard to believe he has no idea
When I followed up my letter to original letter, Adam was too busy,doing Gulf Island Town halls, yet he somehow still managed find time to be on the news with Horgan to announce a new Wild Salmon committee. I suspect the Greens are hard pressed to decide where they stand on this issue, the don’t want to alienate their largely urban base who want to protect everything . All the more reason to press them for an answer. Good on you for taking the time to write!!

So here is what we are up against. The Green ENGO's are mounting social media campaigns to GET YOU OFF THE WATER. Make no bones about it, they are not your friends! Please encourage everyone you know who cares about recreational fishing to provide their feedback. We had only 30 days to provide input and consult. It appears the railroad is well underway.

#OrcasCantWait

Say Yes to Additional Critical Habitat!

DEADLINE: JULY 11th, 2018

The endangered Southern Resident killer whale population is now down to just 75 individuals. Threats to their survival include:

• A lack of abundant Chinook salmon
  • toxic contamination
  • vessel noise and disturbance
With your support, GSA and our allies have been working hard to hold the federal government accountable to their responsibility to protect this iconic species and we are finally starting to see them taking actions to address the threats that face this population. Our work is not done however -we need to keep pushing for more effective, enforceable and immediate measures if the Southern Residents are to have a fighting chance at survival.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada is conducting an external review of the critical habitat section of the Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales. This review is open to public comment until July 11th and you can show your support for designating additional areas as critical habitat for both the Northern and Southern Resident killer whales!

Proposed additional critical habitat off southwestern Vancouver Island includes the Canadian portions of Swiftsure Bank and other shallow banks including La Pérouse Bank, where studies show that these areas are frequently used by both Northern and Southern Resident orca populations in all months of the year. Maps of the areas can be found on pages 60 & 61 of the Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada. DFO has stated that this area is known to be among the most productive fishing areas for Chinook salmon on the west coast of North America. Chinook salmon comprise up to 90% of the Resident killer whale diet.

The number of endangered Southern Resident killer whales is at a 30-year low. The recent loss of Crewser (L-92) from the Southern Resident population speaks to the urgency of the situation the killer whales are in.Tell the government that you want to see more critical habitat protected for both Northern and Southern resident killer whales— and why — by filling out the “additional feedback” section of this online consultation form.

Read the full External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada: Discussion guide

Show Your Support Now

Making waves for change,

Rachael Merrett

Species Protection Coordinator

Southern Resident orcas are facing extinction - please help GSA push for action from DFO before it's too late

Georgia Strait Alliance

201-195 Commercial St. Nanaimo

V9R 5G5, Canada

www.GeorgiaStrait.org

Tweet

Forward

[if (mso)|(IE)]><table align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" role="presentation"><tr class="layout-email-footer"><td style="width: 600px;" class="w560"><![endif]

Unsubscribe

Yep. It started this morning on Facebook and other social media platforms across all of these groups (ECOJUSTICE, GEORGIA STRAIGHT ALLIANCE, DAVID SUZUKI FOUNDATION, SALISH SEA ORCAS etc. ) The messages sent are to be frank only mentioning Southern Killer Whales only. Also see how Georgia Straight Alliance its tieing the whale dieing using emotion to drive the post.

I received 10 phone calls yesterday where people said well I am not sending a letter is a waste of time. Guys you need to do the survey and email the minister as well! The more noise we make on this the better. DFO now will be receiving tons of people ( the brainwashed followers) from these groups that believe anything that is posted. It doesn't take that long. When you are on your fishing trips at the dock get guys to do it. The more voices the better.

What is interesting is that because you all are making noise these groups are now reacting. I think it caught them off guard. The timing of it is interesting.

Pretty Easy:

Step 1: Have a read. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consultation/sara-lep/killerwhales-epaulards/discussion-eng.html

Step 2 : Give feedback/submit
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/forms/sara-lep/killerwhales-epaulards/workbook-cahier-eng.aspx

Step 3: Send separate mail to these two if you want to copy and MP or whoever do it same time. Do not just send it to your MP or politician and hope they send it for you! Your letters have to go to these two directly.

min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca , Fisheries minister Dominic Leblanc
Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca , Regional Director DFO

Last edited:
Yep. It started this morning on Facebook and other social media platforms across all of these groups ( ECOJUSTICE, GEORGIA STRAIGHT ALLIANCE, DAVID SUZUKI FOUNDATION, SALISH SEA ORCAS etc. )

These folks are Organized, make unfounded claims in just the right way to pluck on their sheeple's heart-strings, and make it damn easy for them to sway to consultations to their side.

We REALLY could learn a thing or two here...

Comment Deadline is approaching fast now folks.
PLEASE ensure we have a chance at countering this nonsense!!

Thanks!
Nog

Hey Nog any chance you can talk to the Area G trollers? This will impact them also.

Hey Nog any chance you can talk to the Area G trollers? This will impact them also.

We've been on it for a while...

Area G was informed in May that we would not see access to 123 whatsoever this year. Not just May, but the entire year.
Implications were that we will NEVER see access to 123 again.
Rumor had it as the area was going to become the sporties' playground, and that we were not welcome there ever again.
Then the Plot thickened quite obviously.

The real intent was, and is, to stop all forms of fishing from happening there at all.

We are onside, and we are doing what we can to let the department know our thoughts.

Additionally, some of us have been sharing the hell out of the message through as many Forums and social media sites as we can.
Word is getting out, however no-one can say if we are doing so in sufficient numbers to counter the anti-ngo effort...

One can hope...

Cheers,
Nog

Was the carcass of the dead whale recovered? I have not read anything about it, Be interesting to see if any autopsy was performed.

No, you got it all wrong! What we must demand from DFO is to close this whole WCVI area from whale watchers so the scientific study that DFO is doing can be properly conducted! I hope all your letters reflect that and focus on this. "Fishing closure fine, but please along with a whale watch closure!", right searun!?

Sad thing is all these people jumping on the save the whales closing salmon fishing have no clue that what’s actually happening is nothing for the whales, all they are doing is shutting down one of the greatest BC family traditions of all time, salmon fishing. They have no idea the impact this will have. To bad the main stream media don’t cover the story from the side of the good people of BC who love and enjoy fishing this coast and spend actual time on the water

Back