Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

This is a statement made by another former CEO from Questair Technologies which is wheere oiur new fisheries minister comes fr
Well you can sit back ***** about the past or you can try get his attention and bring up the issue! It lots easier to do when they're in the same province as opposed to other side of the country like LeBlanc was.

Here’s Jonathan Wilkinson office phone number and email if you wanted to call raising your concerns about the SKRW closures:

Jonathan Wilkinson

Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca

Who is sitting back? LOL. Far from it but thank you. Again your not getting the picture. Carry on...:rolleyes:

We had David Anderson as fisheries minister and he wasn't good either.

Anderson put a 10 year moratorium on Coho, which in my opinion was the right thing to do.
it's never going to be perfect, but having a local fisheries minister is far better than
dealing with someone in Ottawa who doesn't give a **** about us.

He is a Liberal from Vancouver, No one on the island voted for a Liberal. If he is fighting for his base and his seat in the next election he is far more likely to side with all the ENGO that also have large corporate offices in Vancouver or with local business in Vancouver.

Its great that hes from Vancouver but those expecting to harvest more or for restrictions around SRKW to be lifted will probably not happen given who his base is and his electorate.

However given that the Federal election is next year, hes definitely going to be out looking to buy votes. Will that be a good thing or a bad thing its hard to tell.

I think he is a lot more likely to get rid of fish farms tho then Dominic LeBlanc, So maybe we will see a lot more regulation around FF .

PS:

"He's also made recent appearances to promote federal efforts to save the endangered population of southern resident killer whales."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...ter-of-fisheries-oceans-coast-guard-1.4751554

If you think a fresh face in the ministry is going to change anything you are getting your hopes up too much . The only way you lose your position in cabinet is by not doing what you are told, or maybe the PM's buddy needs a job and he remembered how you didn't sign his inter office birthday card last year.

Or you did something bad. Really bad, like leaked video footage of you and that Mexican donkey show kind of bad.

Actually, the donkey might be the ideal candidate - all he does is stand there and take whatever is given to him. Perfect qualifications for a federally appointed minister!

Anderson put a 10 year moratorium on Coho, which in my opinion was the right thing to do.
it's never going to be perfect, but having a local fisheries minister is far better than
dealing with someone in Ottawa who doesn't give a **** about us.

But again that isn't what I am saying. Please read more on the minister and his past and the connections. Just because he is from here doesn't mean we should have a sigh of relief. That is what I was getting at.

Let's hold him accountable on this! That's easier to do if he's in BC than New Brunswick.

Remember the mouth of the Fraser is also closed. Many Vancouver folks fish those waters. There is pain in 604 as well.

The Liberals are vulnerable in BC after their pipeline fiasco. The minister would be well advised to listen and hold meaningful consultation if they want to get re-elected.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for participating in the 30-day online external review on the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada held from June 12 – July 11, 2018. Your feedback will be considered and any necessary changes will be incorporated into the document accordingly.

Given the feedback received, we would like to clarify that, while existing Resident Killer Whale critical habitat does spatially overlap with the fishery management measures the Department recently put in place in key Southern Resident Killer Whale foraging areas, the current fishing measures do not directly relate to new or existing critical habitat designation. Additionally please note that critical habitat designation does not lead to the automatic prohibition of human activities occurring within its boundaries.

Please note that further input on the draft amended recovery strategy can be provided as part of a 60-day national public comment period, anticipated to begin in August 2018. We will notify you once this process begins.

Kind regards,

What a load of political BaffleGab! :rolleyes:
Trust these morons about as far as I can throw their entire department!

Sheesh!

Cheers,
Nog - Prepping for Round Two...

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Thank you for participating in the 30-day online external review on the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada held from June 12 – July 11, 2018. Your feedback will be considered and any necessary changes will be incorporated into the document accordingly.

Given the feedback received, we would like to clarify that, while existing Resident Killer Whale critical habitat does spatially overlap with the fishery management measures the Department recently put in place in key Southern Resident Killer Whale foraging areas, the current fishing measures do not directly relate to new or existing critical habitat designation. Additionally please note that critical habitat designation does not lead to the automatic prohibition of human activities occurring within its boundaries.

Please note that further input on the draft amended recovery strategy can be provided as part of a 60-day national public comment period, anticipated to begin in August 2018. We will notify you once this process begins.

Kind regards,

Sheesh!

Cheers,

Just got the same email! Agree!

Yeah it’s a load of bull, once something is designated critical habitat for a species with a Sara regulation I’m pretty sure it then forces the government to take measures to protect that critical habitat.

It’s part of the tools needed to later
F us right in the stink.

Dear Sir/ Madam,

Kind regards,

Sheesh!

Cheers,
Yeah, I just got the same thing and I think the only real solution is the spread the word and keep the pressure and spot light on this issue. As with most other things "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" and as we have learned from all these other groups, the more the work is spread through social media the better. I would think every resident in every small community along Vancouver Island's West and south coast would be behind this!

I often look at what the enviro bullies/far left/marxists (same thing) do and ask myself if this is sheer stupidity or economic ruin by design.

It seems one by one they want to take down each industry, in various ways and means, and bring us to the point where we scream for the all powerful gov to feed our families because they killed our ability to do so for ourselves.

The communities they are killing with these insane restrictions is not to be forgotten or forgiven. I just shake my head at this, still.

Those who for whatever reason look at the Right and have come to the conclusion (no doubt through ****** media reporting) that they can’t support them because of whatever BS social reasons need to rethink their position because this is what your inflicting upon yourself and future generations.

I just can’t believe in this day and age of free flowing information that ANYBODY with a sane head on their shoulders would vote for any Leftist candidate. Even the moderate Left is stuck walking in lockstep with the crazy far Left.

Last edited:
I often look at what the enviro bullies/far left/marxists (same thing) do and ask myself if this is sheer stupidity or economic ruin by design.

It seems one by one they want to take down each industry, in various ways and means, and bring us to the point where we scream for the all powerful gov to feed our families because they killed our ability to do so for ourselves.

The communities they are killing with these insane restrictions is not to be forgotten or forgiven. I just shake my head at this, still.

Those who for whatever reason look at the Right and have come to the conclusion (no doubt through ****** media reporting) that they can’t support them because of whatever BS social reasons need to rethink their position because this is what your inflicting upon yourself and future generations.

I just can’t believe in this day and age of free flowing information that ANYBODY with a sane head on their shoulders would vote for any Leftist candidate. Even the moderate Left is stuck walking in lockstep with the crazy far Left.

Bingo, bango. Yet they will won't they, they'll vote even farther left looking to get it cleaned up. Leaves one standing back and watching in utter disbelief.

I have to call BS on your statement. If you think we would be better with another political party it is going to be the same crap different day. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be quiet about what is going on right now with the SKRW issue. This government has clearly lost its mind but it also gets its information within its departments at the senior level. This is what I learned from actually being in the thick of it. In BC the NDP sucks and the Liberals suck. In Federal government the Conservatives suck and so do the Liberals. We have the exact problem there is no real third alternative party ( a real contender) that keeps them honest.

What do they all have in common though? Every time we get new minister or new government it is same culture, same senior people that were always there advising the government what to do. That is the core issue and to be honest, and I believe is issue with DFO. It isn't right/left how you vote it is the senior people of these government departments that have been there since the dawn of time. They never leave regardless of what party is in control. That is the main issue in my eyes.

I wish I had the answer to getting rid of this issue.

Last edited:
Walleyes, and Floater to some extent, you are delusional if you think a right leaning political party will have any impact on the Pacific Salmon resource. Like it or not, saving the Salmon is for Snowflakes.

I have to call BS on your statement. If you think we would be better with another political party its going to be the same crap different day. This is what I learnt from actually being in the thick of it. In BC the NDP sucks and the NDP sucks. In Federal the Conservatives suck and so do the Liberals. We have the exact problem there is no real third alternative party that keeps them honest. What do they all have in common though? Every time we get new minister or new government it is same culture, same senior people that were always there advising the government what to do . That is the core issue and to be honest I believe in issue with DFO. It isn't right /left how you vote it is the senior people of these government departments that have been there since the dawn of time. That is the main issue in my eyes.

Yes they all have issues but you can be garunteed a Conservative government would not be so anti business, anti progress as these left leaning parties this you know. They are listening to the vocal minority because it's the flavour of the day, these decisions being made are not being made on sound policy. You've all said this about this issue and it's the same for many more issues taking place in this country, this is just the one thats finnaly affecting this region and it's hitting home. Wait,, leave them in there longer and it's going to get worse, common sense can only tell you this. BC had a heck of a run with your provincial Liberal party, they ran under the Liberal flag but we all know they were right of center. Did they have issues of course, they can't please all the people. Were they corrupt I hardly doubt they were near as bad as your left wing media made them out to be. You guys had the ball rolling, BC never had such progress in a generation, and my goodness, you guys through it out the door for what,, for a government that ran on anti business platforms WTF man did you guys think was going to happen.

Walleyes, and Floater to some extent, you are delusional if you think a right leaning political party will have any impact on the Pacific Salmon resource. Like it or not, saving the Salmon is for Snowflakes.

Exact;y, look at what the far right is doing south of the border. Pruitt reversed Obama era restrictions on mining in the Bristol bay area to try and get the pebble mine dug in the most productive estuary in the world. They are now looking to gut the endangered species rules, we have seen promotion of a turn of the century dirty fuel source (and yes alt-righters, clean coal IS an Oxymoron). I am no fan of Trudeau and definitely not the NDP, but have NO illusions that the conservatives did in the past, or will in the future , make any of the hard decisions and economic tradeoffs needed to protect the wild salmon resource. They spent a decade kicking the can down the road, allowing over harvest and doing nothing for habitat rehabilitation.

... What do they all have in common though? Every time we get new minister or new government it is same culture, same senior people that were always there advising the government what to do. That is the core issue and to be honest, and I believe is issue with DFO. It isn't right/left how you vote it is the senior people of these government departments that have been there since the dawn of time. They never leave regardless of what party is in control. That is the main issue in my eyes.

Absolute BINGO!
I've been in fisheries management most of my life.
The one thing you can be certain that never, ever changes, is the collection of senior DFO bureaucrats in Kent Street. They, in my opinion, have always been, and always will be The Problem. They live in their own surrealistic little world, and consider themselves harmless from the politicos (which, to a very large extent, they are).

How to fix it?
Without firing the lot of them and starting anew (something none of the politicos have the balls for), it simply can't be done...
Sadly,
Nog

Back