Achieving Sashimi Grade Salmon at Home

Rain City

Crew Member
So far I've read dry ice or medical grade freezer. Has anyone else tried this?

fresh water makes the meat soft.. ,, at our dock we use a submersible pump rather than freshwater for this reason. dry fillets or bellie with a towel before vac pac.. freeze for 24 hrs. slow thaw in fridge.

our family eats alot of different sashimi.

fresh water makes the meat soft.. ,, at our dock we use a submersible pump rather than freshwater for this reason. dry fillets or bellie with a towel before vac pac.. freeze for 24 hrs. slow thaw in fridge.

our family eats alot of different sashimi.

Do you just use a standard home freezer?

Would you suggest gutting and removing gills?

Then freezing.

Thaw, filet and serve?

bleed right away when caught!!, keep fish cool!! gill and gut, bleed even more if you know how!! freeze for transport as dfo required..

i used to half thaw to filet/portion then vac pack at home.

and yes , standard home freeze for a min of 24hrs frozen throughout..

to be honest i eat alot of fresh sashimi right in the boat, never had a worm or been sick, as far as i know.. lol...

couple bellie strips soaking in lemon or lime.. mmmm!! or soaked in soya sauce for 30 mins.. wasabi bombs and yum.

I’ve eaten it straight outta the water with no illness
Isn’t this the way it should be? Haha

A good freeze and slice it up. Best way to eat salmon in my opinion.

I ate so much raw fish in Hawaii, poke, tuna ect,

Good way to eat raw tuna is with wasabi, soy sauce and sesame oil and seeds. Can even add some seaweed not sure if that would also work with salmon. Raw spot pawns are really good with wasabi and soy as well

Smoked or cooked I prefer my salmon. Wife likes it sushi style.

Maybe if we get a sockeye year I’ll do some sashimi grade.

Some great tips on this thread thanks guys

Attachments

• BCBE01D8-18E2-4445-B717-ADBCCC821DDC.jpeg
    BCBE01D8-18E2-4445-B717-ADBCCC821DDC.jpeg
    207.6 KB · Views: 37
"Sashimi-grade" is just a marketing term, there are no standard metrics for which fish are graded on their suitability to be eaten raw. Fish markets use the term to describe fish that are processed and stored in a manner to reduce the possibility of parasites. The FDA sets out some guidelines for processing and storage of fish to reduce parasites and you can find them online, but your home freezer won't achieve the recommendations, flash freezing to -31F is the benchmark for wild salmon I believe. Tuna and farmed salmon are the most common "Sushi-grade" fish because they are less likely to contain worms in the first place. Killing worms by cooking requires an internal temperature of at least 145 degrees, salmon dries right out by about 140, so really, any salmon that you would consider eating cooked to less than a disgusting dried out chewy consistency, can be eaten raw with the same level of risk of parasites.

No need for water at all. As soon as the fish is caught bleed, de gill and scrape out blood line with spoon. Use multiple paper towels to get all blood off the meat. If you have to gently moisten a paper towel to get every bit of blood off the meat and immediately dry. Commercial vac pac with chamber sealer then in deep freezer. We have a small commercial freezer that blasts down super fast.

When you cut your sashimi do it semi frozen for best results and cut diagonal across the grain in one slicing motion with razor sharp knife; not multiple back and forth slices.

Had some vac packed and frozen dark red fleshed good sized coho last weekend. It was excellent as sashimi, salmon roll, and spicy salmon roll. My Canadian Tire temperature gun puts that freezer at -18C*.

Back