Access Restrictions coming to Furry Creek?

Pippen

I am posting this with the permission of Mr. Nicholls who started a thread over on FishBC with the following info. Not sure if this is the proper part of the forum....but it does seem appropriate to go in here.

Access Restrictions coming to Furry Creek?
Do your part to preserve parking and access to this public amenity.

I am a resident of Oliver’s Landing, a townhome development at Furry Creek along scenic Howe Sound. I thought that you may be interested in an action underway by our strata council that will impact on the general public, and other fisherpersons in the lower mainland.

Our Strata President, Mr. Richard Bennetts, has lobbied the Squamish Lillooet Regional District (SLRD) to restrict public access to the creek and oceanfront in Furry Creek because the fisherpersons are creating a nuisance, and “we recently experienced an invasion of people from outside the Furry Creek community to fish along our waterfront”. They have requested that the public parking and access to the waterfront be restricted to “residents and guests of the greater community” because “for six weeks the community withstood this invasion of our property and civil rights”. As well, they are lobbying to “close the fishery in East Howe Sound”.

As you can see from the quotes and tone of their discussions and letters to the SLRD, they are attempting to privatize public property for personal gain. All owners in this development were well aware of the public access to and along the foreshore when they purchased into this community, and many support this shared enjoyment of the area. Over the past year or so there has been a splinter group of owners that have been driving the restricting of access to this public amenity, and lobbying for further privatization of the embayment and foreshore in the area. There have also erected misleading and intimidating signage at the areas of public access to discourage the use by non-residents, and have made false statements to the SLRD about the fisherpersons enjoying the area.

I meet and talk with the people visiting our community on a regular basis as I walk my dog often, and in the early mornings when most fishing is taking place. The fisherpersons, divers and families accessing the foreshore and enjoying this public amenity are friendly, respectful and considerate of the local residents. They are being falsely portrayed by the strata president as being a threat to the safety and security of community.

We are hopeful that fisherpersons and the general public will take it upon yourselves to contact the SLRD and let your thoughts and concerns about this infringement on access rights be known. Contact information is as follows;

SLRD Director responsible for this area is Mr. John Turner, johndturner@telus.net

SLRD Chief Administrative Officer is Mr. Paul Edgington, pedgington@slrd.bc.ca

SLRD Board of Directors E Mail address is info@slrd.bc.ca

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Rob Nicholls

54 Beach Drive

Furry Creek, BC, V0N 3Z1

604-896-1954

Thanks for this info Pippen.
I have passed it on ...

Thanks for this info Pippen.
I have passed it on ...

Now Imagine the run of the rivers projects, what do you think is going to happen there? The government intends to give control of these rivers to private interests.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Now Imagine the run of the rivers projects, what do you think is going to happen there? The government intends to give control of these rivers to private interests.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back