Abe & Al no. 1 flasher

Aridhol

I just found this in my dad's old tackle box. Is it fished the same as any other flasher? Worth throwing in the box?

20170512_204720.jpg 20170512_204707.jpg

I just found this in my dad's old tackle box. Is it fished the same as any other flasher? Worth throwing in the box?
View attachment 33034 View attachment 33035

If the idea of catching a fish on the same gear as your Dad sounds like a good time, ABSOLUTELY run that thing. While newer flashers have certain advantages, those Abe&Al flashers were an absolute cornerstone for westcoast fishing for many many years.

You can bend them to change the action. They're metal, so they last ages (do remember to rinse it in fresh water after use, as it will otherwise corrode that nice chrome).

I just picked up a 1977 Peetz rod and reel. Refurbished it myself, and I look forward to taking it out (with one of those Abe&Al Flashers you can bet!). Will it outfish my modern setup? No way, but that's not why I got it. Sometimes to remember Dad and Grandpa, it helps to fish like Dad and Grandpa.

Tight Lines

American anglers love to use Abe & Al #1 Or 2. They are still using today.

My buddy caught some huge coho on the Abe & Al.

I'm sure it will work, they worked years ago and I see no reason that they won't work now. Don't think the fish are any smarter then they were years ago. Lol. I think we are all tackle ****** that have to have the latest and greatest.
A few years ago a buddy and I were fishing Bamfield and had fished for 3 days and nothing. Fishing was very slow and fish were not showing up at the dock either so it was not just us. Next day my buddies dad shows up to fish with us and we tell him to go ahead and put out his gear as he was the guest. So he goes though all are tackle boxes and pulls out some old school gear and my buddy and I both laugh. What the hell is that your putting out. Anyway he throws it out over the side and it barely hits the water and he has a fish on. 25lbs in the box, hes now laughing at us. He goes back in the tackle boxes and grabs some other old thing and same thing happens, a matching book end for his first fish. My buddy and I never even got are rods in the water and his dad was limited out and told us we could take him back to the dock so he could have his breakfast. Moral of the story old stuff still works just got to put it in the water and drag it around.

Thanks everyone, I'll try it out next time I get out there (after motor is fixed!)
I agree with Casper we all get caught chasing the newest magic lure.

Yes still run those every few times out to switch up the gear. . But one thing I have found is that it is better to run 2 metal on each side of the boat... if you have 1 metal and one more modern plastic on the other side..they track quite differently in the turns and easier to cross downrigger lines...so run 2 if you can. More pull and action on the rod..it is much more visible the surge of the metal flasher compared to the plastic action. Has been quite deadly with hoochie. I also have one of those rigged up with a big clip for the downrigger line/ ball and use it as a dummy flasher...

It is a great flasher to learn how get the proper speed trolling with currents or tides and no other electronic help . Too fast and your rod tip just keeps bouncing. Too slow and you get a long pull and a bounce from the fact the flasher is not doing a full roll. Proper speed and the rod tip has a nice long pulse. Still fish one when possible and at times out fish my buddies with it. You learn to bend them for different hookups ie. hootchie bait or spoon. Until you do keep them as close to their original bend as possible.

Thanks for the replies and great info everyone. I'm going to run it and see how she does.
I have a few other metal flashers I should probably take a look at, anything I should really look out for?

anything I should really look out for?
They have more drag, which along with corrosion, is why the commercial trollers switched to plastic flashers.
So you might need to slow down, use a heavier ball, or put out more cable to fish the same depth you would have before. If you stack, only use one and a naked bait/spoon on the other rod.

They will spin large, we always add a few extra swivels on the mainline. The drag on it is huge so if giving you issues use a newer clip and bury a bit deeper. It's a great flasher.

pulled mine at regulars speeds , with plastics on the other 2 riggers , no issues , was my top producer for a few outtings last season ,
definitely more action and drag than plastics , cohos loved it.. couple over 20 last fall , used this flasher as a kid all over, from Bowser to Campbell River in the 70's n 80's
deadly !! rinse them off well and hand dry them , mine are still like new

fd

Back