A River Returns

I don't know the Elwa - except what tidbits are out there in internetland. So, hard to comment on the speed of the summer steelhead increases in comparison to steelhead in adjacent rivers. It does trigger some thinking - you are right, WMY. Seems like good news, however.

Anyone on this forum - more familiar w the Elwa have some ideas?

Yes it’s a great news story and how fast after the dams were removed things changed. The before and after photos also of the estuary are also very cools to see.

One line of thinking is that there was a remnant population of Summer Steelhead that were trapped behind the Dam. When the dam was removed, their offspring still had the genetic map to go to sea. They provided a kick start to the recovery. I have been to the Ehlwa recently and it is a beautiful system with the majority of the watershed in Olympic National Forest and protected.

CR Greg

There absolutely had to have been an unforeseen kick-start to that population of summer fish from the resident rainbow stuck behind the dam. To have that veritable explosion of summer steelhead population in such a short time period had less to do with blowing up the dams then with the behavioral characteristics of resident rainbow

I say that because there are many rivers near the Elwha that do not have dams, have relatively undisturbed spawning habitat, yet have seen significant drops in their steelhead populations during that same time period

It’ll be interesting to see the data results for the genetic fingerprints of those “new” fish that magically returned in such a short period of time with clear-eyed analysis on why that happened in one system but not in any others, and if there’s something unique about a summer steelhead’s migratory pattern compared to a winter steelhead’s...the rubber has to meet the road out on the high seas to have had so many adult fish materialize in such a short time span after the dams went down

Back