A risk of being a guide.....

WOW how scary is that, hence why charter insurance is so damn expensive!!!!..... its mandatory at our marina to have proof of insurance and the marina on it as well as a rider, I will add though travel insurance is cheap whenever I travel I always get it no matter what..

I can’t imagine not having insurance for my buisness. I carry 5 million liability said someone were to die the money often goes there. Knock on wood.....

I’m pretty confused with this story as when I had my fresh water guide license one of the conditions was to possess liability insurance

All thru my long guide career my biggest Fear was having a guest get badly injured or worse.

I hope this gentleman gets well soon

As for the story if the guy was this "fragile" and that condition
A : he shouldnt be fishing
B: how is a company supposed to know he has that condition. its not like we ask he can a rod a reel hurt you?

I will call BS on the fact the American was unaware that his policy did not extend to other countries. Especially since he had an already blood disorder.
Perfect example of liability insurance being mandatory.

I blame the injured party. You must do your due diligence when travelling and purchase the appropriate insurance. If you don't then you leave yourself wide open for trouble. I agree the charter company should have liability insurance but the injured party knowingly fished with a medical condition he was fully aware that he had. If he was injured from holding a rod in his mid section this hardly falls into the category of any type of negligence by the operator. Every person that hooks a sturgeon will be holding the rod in the same fashion. Clutching at straws and trying to recoup his medical bills. Just my opinion.

The Excited States of America.....blame everyone else and file a lawsuit. :confused::rolleyes::confused:

This right here is his own problem. My other half and I do quite a bit of travel ("we've taken lots of trips in our lifetime".....too) and I travel a TON for work; we are always conscious of our travel coverage. I hope this guy gets better but flat out he's just plain negligent in his mindset.

upload_2020-7-23_7-49-13.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-7-23_7-48-21.png
    upload_2020-7-23_7-48-21.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 8
The Excited States of America.....blame everyone else and file a lawsuit. :confused::rolleyes::confused:

This right here is his own problem. My other half and I do quite a bit of travel ("we've taken lots of trips in our lifetime".....too) and I travel a TON for work; we are always conscious of our travel coverage. I hope this guy gets better but flat out he's just plain negligent in his mindset.

View attachment 55101

I had a chuckle at that to..

“We’re not litigious people"

Renewed our boat insurance yesterday.
In the past our insurance covered up to 30 guiding days per year. This is no longer included and the extra coverage was pricey so we've decided to not guide with our own boat any longer.
Insurance costs are becoming an ever increasing and significant part of our annual budget.

I guess all us guides now have to have a medical degree to assess our guests before a trip. Every guide takes out people who have different degrees of fragility ...whether its age, stability on their feet, eyesight, heart issues etc etc. These people still want to enjoy life and do what they like to do...that is a decision they make and the guide has no involvement in this at all. The guide is responsible for providing a safe fishing platform, operating the boat safely, having the required credentials, any licencing, any required insurance and the skills to produce consistent catches. This guide was a fool for not having insurance but the guest has no case based on negligence on the guides part. He would have known that additional medical coverage is required when travelling to be fully covered. His own G.P would have told him that at some point.

I guess all us guides now have to have a medical degree to assess our guests before a trip. Every guide takes out people who have different degrees of fragility ...whether its age, stability on their feet, eyesight, heart issues etc etc. These people still want to enjoy life and do what they like to do...that is a decision they make and the guide has no involvement in this at all. The guide is responsible for providing a safe fishing platform, operating the boat safely, having the required credentials, any licencing, any required insurance and the skills to produce consistent catches. This guide was a fool for not having insurance but the guest has no case based on negligence on the guides part. He would have known that additional medical coverage is required when travelling to be fully covered. His own G.P would have told him that at some point.
He might have not been able to get travel insurance. I know my wife’s old man was refused Travel insurance last winter when he wanted to snowbird down in Arizona for the winter. His heart was touch and go and the insurance company considered him to be to much of a liability.

He might have not been able to get travel insurance. I know my wife’s old man was refused Travel insurance last winter when he wanted to snowbird down in Arizona for the winter. His heart was touch and go and the insurance company considered him to be to much of a liability.

That is certainly not the guides fault, nor should liability be on his operation due to medical conditions; that's "traveler beware". If you travel knowing you can't get insurance it is very offside to expect if anything happens to you that you will rely on the company's insurance.

My in-laws gave us their timeshare as they can no longer justify the cost of their travel insurance; they plain and simple don't travel outside the country anymore.

Probably worth looking into some form of waiver to avoid this kind of mess?

That is certainly not the guides fault, nor should liability be on his operation due to medical conditions; that's "traveler beware". If you travel knowing you can't get insurance it is very offside to expect if anything happens to you that you will rely on the company's insurance.

My in-laws gave us their timeshare as they can no longer justify the cost of their travel insurance; they plain and simple don't travel outside the country anymore.
I completely agree it’s not the guides fault!!! the onus is completely on the client. I’m sure the insurance company if he had had insurance wouldn’t cover the medical costs in the end. Just to bad the guide will be going to court vs the insurance company.

There always seems to a company will to underwrite anyone, for the right price

I learned all about that last year when trying to get travel medical insurance with my condition

Back