A look into your future recreational fishing opportunities.

OldBlackDog

By Bob Hooton
For all of you out there with an interest in the future of your recreational fishing opportunities, in the Skeena system particularly, you might want to invest some time in the attached video clips. These are live streamed broadcasts of ongoing meetings between the federal and provincial government employees we pay to manage fish on "our" behalf and the 38 Gitxsan hereditary chiefs who issued the ultimatum that their traditional territories are now closed to recreational fishing.

According to the video, this was the fourth meeting of the Crisis Team. By my count there were 6 of the 38 hereditary chiefs in attendance. If there was an agenda, it wasn't obvious. The two government representatives are less than conversant (a kind assessment!) regarding on the water prosecution of Gitxsan fishing. However, both are skilled in the art of boardroom process. The information being bandied about was hopelessly short of adequate and current given the significance of what is at play. The perceived impact of recreational fishing is hopelessly biased but impossible to correct. (I state this with conviction after spending half a lifetime listening to the timeless "playing with our food" lecture.) And, I always appreciate the lines about using everything they catch. I guess all those photos I have of discarding and discarded (notably pink salmon) and wasted fish in unattended gill nets were extremely isolated incidents.

Welcome to reconciliation. Someone needs to explain what value there is in these government to government discussions/negotiations for those of us who finance them but are the sole victims.

http://gitxsan.ca/crisis-team-meeting-live-stream-april-17…/

My fishing plans will not change for this summer or fall in the skeena drainage.

I will be respectful but until DFO states a closure...and even then...lol

One country, one law and equal rights for all Canadian citizen's!

Back