A long wait

alumaman

image.jpeg Ive been without a boat for three years and finally pulled the trigger and bought a 2006 Weldcraft Maverick 186. I'll be in the market for a 115 or 150 depending on the budget, the boat comes with a merc 9.9 kicker and a '06 90 optimax. It'll be a little underpowered but I'll be on the water.

Lets see more photos. How wide is it?

It's got a 98" beam with a variable degree hull, 28 degree at the bow to 18 degree at the transom so it'll have a soft ride, suspension seats are standard. I'm picking it up in Fairbanks Ak next week so I haven't seen it, once I pick it up I'll post some pics, I'm jazzed up and looking forward to getting it home. I haven't seen it yet so it's a leap of faith. A dealer is selling it, did the diagnostics on it and there's 28.3 hours on the motor.

It's brand new!!! Should be able to get good money out of the 90 with low hours like that. I know some guys that fish a hewes searunner 18 with a 90 and do just fine.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg The waits over, I got the boat home Saturday night! This thing has a ton of room, now to start adding equipment.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    425.6 KB · Views: 18
beautiful boat alumaman.
looks great!

It's a mystery to me why it's mounted in the back so thats the first thing I'm going move. There's a few other threaded holes in the topside that have to be plugged. There was a speaker mounted in the bow and wired to the radio, I couldn't figure that one out.

Haha sounds like a bit of work. Make sure all the wiring is correct and that he didn't ground to the hull

Haha sounds like a bit of work. Make sure all the wiring is correct and that he didn't ground to the hull

Why make sure the hull is not grounded/bonded? Does it not drain hull voltage back to source? CEC says all power sources to have bonded secondary (neg terminal only) and that all metal components making up electrical system be bonded.
Why break the bond?
Also nice boat would fly with a 150Hp etec on the back

Sometimes people will ground electronics vhf,fish Finder, etc right to the hull this is not good. Should ground everything to the battery

Roger, grounding vs bonding are different, you should be saying bond. My mistake
Do you ground negative battery terminal to your hull?

Nice boat. 90hp should work well with that hull but if you find you need more power then you might want to consider putting a chip in that mill. A member here on this board did that to another merc and it turned out well. Yea.. and I would remove that tie bar from the back and put one on the front. I have a similar setup and my tie bar is on the front and it stays on all the time. Putting a tie bar on the back gets old real fast.

That's a great idea, thanks. To the best of my knowledge the 90 & 115 are the same displacement so if I can bump it up I will. I'm going to the merc dealer and will pick thier brain. A 150 is in the plan but I'm going to wait. The dealers here are asking 18-19k I could have got a brand new 150 merc 4 stroke, 25" shaft for 14 in Fairbanks so I'll shop around and see what I can come up with, maybe a lease return....

as far as i know you don't ground anything to the hull including the battery.

Last edited:
aluminum boats should have the neg post of battery grounded to the hull. this will provide your hull with a place to drain any current that has been induced on to the hull. floating electrical systems are hazardous and will promote electrolysis and pitting. the engine provides power but no negative so there is no return path.

that's a beautiful boat lots of room. kinda weird spot for an antenna.

The first thing I'm going to do is move the antenna, the radio's on the port side so I'll move it over to my side. There was a loudspeaker mounted in the bow so it's gone. I'm going to have to find some compound to fill the holes in the topside....

aluminum boats should have the neg post of battery grounded to the hull.
I don't think that complies with American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) standards.
There maybe new rules that I'm not aware of, so if you have a link for this I would be glad to learn.

Back