A little about me

Littlescoop

Hello All, Thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Dennis and I moved to Campbell river in 1980 and never fished salmon before, so when we moved here I found out the best place to fish them without a boat was Argonaut wharf. When I went down there I watched people go to one side of the wharf, jig and catch these little fish called herring and then they go to the other side and hook this little fish to their line and Wham they catch this BIG fish called a Spring Salmon...Well i was hooked and hooked bad.

Back then you didn't need a Saltwater License (81' I think they came into effect). Fished Argo till they shut it down which was a blow to some of us as this was the best place to catch them. Had a few boats since then, but you'd still see me down there in those great times which seems so long ago. So that's a little about me when i first moved to this Beautiful island.

Thanks for reading and Tight Lines

I was there too.I was the smallest youngest fisherman there most times,When you went up the north side to the dock around chain fence,i would slip under the gate.my rod and line were never strong enough to get the fish to the drop net.mom and dad forbid me there ,so i would take my punishment and be right back there the next chance I had.Local bullies never were smart enough to find me while fishing ,but they knew where i lived so i was away from home to school and out fishing as soon as possible every day.

During September of 1963 I jigged a Herring off the old Argonaut Wharf then hooked a big Chinook using the Herring for bait, rigged "livey" style.

Fought it for quite some time before it broke me off on a piling.

Thanks for bringing back a neat old memory for me.

Take care.

Yes great times for sure...wish I had a pic of my drop net. Big enough for a 70 pounder which I thought I was going to catch one decade.

90 or 91 I watched the Daiwa Derby winner get caught...61 pounder..what a slab that was!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Littlescoop. Looking forward to hearing some good fishing reports from you. Good story by the way.

Oly

Back