A Glimpst of the Future by Bob Hooton

Rather see traps then gill nets. I am interested to see what happens.

It is a little frustrating to see the anger directed at the SFAB again, but what else is new?

Lost me here:

That group has become the only avenue sanctioned by DFO for concerns of the recreational fisheries community to be heard. If you’re not an acknowledged participant in those meetings, the best you can hope for is to seek out and attempt to work through a representative of one of the groups recognized by DFO as an SFAB place holder. That excludes the vast majority of the presumed owners of our fish resources.

Last edited:
I dont blame Hooton in a lot of his letters to dfo, dfo brushes him off and says that if he has any issues that They are being looked at or addressed though the SFAB process.

Are nets coming out of the water to be replaced by this trap or will this just be an addition tool to catch more fish? In theory the trap will be far better at targeting species in abundance and releasing unwanted fish. In the end the trap will only be as good as the people that run the trap. The care they take to release fish unharmed and take and record accurate, useful, data will be paramount. If done properly this could be a huge step in the right direction for selective harvest on the Skeena system.

Are nets coming out of the water to be replaced by this trap or will this just be an addition tool to catch more fish? In theory the trap will be far better at targeting species in abundance and releasing unwanted fish. In the end the trap will only be as good as the people that run the trap. The care they take to release fish unharmed and take and record accurate, useful, data will be paramount. If done properly this could be a huge step in the right direction for selective harvest on the Skeena system.
Or if it’s really efficient another tool in reallocation.

Back