"A celebration of the great tradition of sport fishing"

Peahead

I found this statement in GOV/DFO's recent Fishery Notice FN 0479 announcing the "Family Fishing Weekend" and it just somehow made me think of the hypocrisy in it....

"A celebration of the great tradition of sport fishing"

Really? .... so if it is such a great tradition why so much mismanagement ? Why threaten that 1.5 billion dollar "tradition" with actions that are just 'smoke and mirrors' and for the optics of it all ? Why ignore SFAB and IHPC sport fishing recommendations and create measures specifically targeted at that great tradition. I get it - sometimes it is better to just show you did something, even though you know it has absolutely zero chance of solving anything.....

Ops Centre Fishery PAC / Centre des peches du Pacifique (DFO/MPO) <DFO.OpsCentreFisheryPacific-CentreOpsPechePacifique.MPO@canada.ca>

qCE70aKJxBRcZwPrPaeKZoWWkO1L64YkKOGeqPEnRvCkgg1x3SG1BXvqfAoHRMbudPK4YeaopoDv0K4OjCKDR2sRC61pVrgSKZQ=s0-d-e1-ft

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - General Information,
RECREATIONAL - Shellfish,
RECREATIONAL - Salmon,
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0479-June 15 to 17, 2018 Family Fishing Weekend Recreational Fishery Licensing Information

British Columbia's Family Fishing Weekend (FFW) is a celebration of the great
tradition of sport fishing. The Government of Canada is providing an
opportunity to fish in tidal waters at no cost (unless you require a salmon
conservation stamp) for the weekend dates of June 15, 16 and 17, 2018 only.

Peahead take your nabour/friend out who does not have a licence to fish and get them involved in the sport, Tell them about the issues we face and the importance of our sport. Maybe use this opportunity to educate and inform rather then **** on DFO.

I will be taking a friend and his son to a lake to do some shore trout fishing after we meet up for a Fathers Day Chinook/smolt release and pancake breakfast.

Peahead take your nabour/friend out who does not have a licence to fish and get them involved in the sport, Tell them about the issues we face and the importance of our sport. Maybe use this opportunity to educate and inform rather then **** on DFO.

I will be taking a friend and his son to a lake to do some shore trout fishing after we meet up for a Fathers Day Chinook/smolt release and pancake breakfast.

My post is about the hypocrisy I see in how the fisheries notice is worded and has nothing to do with the Family Fishing Weekend itself. I did not title the post with reference to Family Fishing Weekend. Your response seems to assume I somehow need to be told to take someone fishing on Family Fishing Weekend...lol ...obviously you don't know me or any of my family. Again my post has nothing to do specifically with the Family Fishing event being held this weekend. Ok hope you got that now . I do appreciate your obvious enthusiasm about Family Fishing Weekend . I have encouraged many to take up fishing.....and many now participate in the sport all year. I have also encouraged many to get involved in our sport politically and that means to stand up to issues - not ignore them. To get involved by giving back to our sport like I do each and every year - posting on here by the way does nothing unless you take that energy and enthusiasm and use it for something more productive. My comments about DFO/Gov are my opinion so if I point out on a forum about the hypocrisy that I see and explain why, I don't care what DFO thinks ( Bureaucrats making the decisions, not the scientists). They know anyway. "**** on DFO"......are you joking ? .... Admin if you think DFO is going to be upset with me for being mean to them please feel free to remove my post and/or muzzle me by removing my ability to post any more comments of hypocrisy that I might see .

No I understand your post was a direct shot at DFO hypocrisy, I just don't see the point of calling out a talking point that recreational fishermen like

I said "**** on DFO" and i personally don't see the point on calling out what ever grunt in DFO wrote the message.

It's not like it was from the Minister, I doubt anyone in a political position within DFO wrote that notice because If they did they would of probably would of included a whole bunch of stuff about first nations.

""A celebration of the great tradition of sport fishing"

That quote is more a talking point that recreational fishing groups like to use when they lobby DFO, So I very much doubt anyone in DFO upper brass had anything to do with it.

I don't want to argue with you peahead, i regret posting in the first place you're obviously just pissed like the rest of us because of the situation we find out self in. You can always throw DFO biologist in the water if it makes you feel better, I hear that helps

Never said anything about who decided to write that or what authority level they may or may not have - It doesn't matter in my seeing hypocrisy in it.....but yes I get your point that the event is something rec fishers like and my post is a political one so probably should have gone in the political thread. The Family Fishing Weekend is a good thing and I fully support the event ...meant no harm to the event.

Edit : just saw your last post ...... lol thanks yeah certainly frustrated as you figured. I should have posted in the political thread

Back