92 lb Bluefin Caught off Washington Coast

EDITOR’S NOTE: Commercial tuna fishermen haven’t reported the same level of success as their recreational counterparts. See the September edition of Coast River Business Journal for details.

Bring on the Blue Fin's!! Oh yes and the Marlin!!

What do you expect when guys are posting pictures of 40-80 fish laying out on the dock?
With 5 guys in the picture and not breaking any laws. And I remember you the year before last posting your pictures of your tuna all layed out the same way with the guys you were with. Gimme a break. And funny how you're the one out there on the water looking for Tuna asking guys like me and Derek where they are and what the numbers are we are getting them at like it's all ok and buddy buddy to be out there hammering on them with everyone else but on the forum it's a big secret eh and you're the man right. Wow I don't think so. This is a forum where people share their catch stories, pictures, advice etc.. If something is posted that's morally or ethically wrong in someone's opinion then sure I believe in speaking up but when it's a hypocritical point then I think that's worth a good chuckle actually.

Truth be told today its can be all about optics. You can take one picture of 10 guys with their possession limit of 40 Chinook salmon spread out on the dock and it looks like you are raping the ocean. Those who dislike sport fishing are going to think that is repeated every 2 days times the amount of lodges on the coast. Take those same 10 guys and take individual pics of them with their 2 day possession limit of 4 Chinook and it looks reasonable. Just my opinion.

Atrually I found each person holding one salmon this summer in pictures looked a lot different then each person holding two.

Funny how people were happy too, getting their limit of one and heading off the fish grounds by 10 am.

It's only a matter of time before the regs change for albacore tuna. Not only the catch limits per person but also the fact that most guys (and guides) currently doing it are not by the book when it comes to certifications, safety equipment, etc for 25kt + offshore. Personally I think there should be a max number of tuna per boat (say 30 or 40) and a max number per angler (maybe 10?) and max for the season. We've all seen pics of the 100+ tuna coming off a single rec boat in the past few years. We've also seen far too many tuna spoiled by greedy anglers looking to stuff their boats so full of fish and not having enough space / ice to handle these fish properly. This mentality is something we need to change coastwide for all fisheries and it is happening but not quickly enough, IMO.

I've been out tuna fishing many times and I've been lucky enough to be with guys who are very safety conscious and responsible boaters and anglers. I've also seen too many examples of boats completely inadequate in terms of safety / communications gear. I know this **** is expensive but there needs to be a minimum requirement. When a little open single engine boat ends up 50 miles offshore and loads up on 50 tuna and can barely limp its way home cause it's so loaded down it's just a matter of time before really bad stuff happens. Offshore emergencies quite often don't end well... and they are expensive to respond to.

On the plus side most in the rec tuna world are pretty good about using radios, etc and working as a team. Most are also good about taking what the need and not wasting. Unfortunately like most things it just takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch.

What do you expect when guys are posting pictures of 40-80 fish laying out on the dock?

With 5 guys in the picture and not breaking any laws. And I remember you the year before last posting your pictures of your tuna all layed out the same way with the guys you were with. Gimme a break. And funny how you're the one out there on the water looking for Tuna asking guys like me and Derek where they are and what the numbers are we are getting them at like it's all ok and buddy buddy to be out there hammering on them with everyone else but on the forum it's a big secret eh and you're the man right. Wow I don't think so. This is a forum where people share their catch stories, pictures, advice etc.. If something is posted that's morally or ethically wrong in someone's opinion then sure I believe in speaking up but when it's a hypocritical point then I think that's worth a good chuckle actually.

He had a valid point. Optics look bad with 50+ fish and single boats can’t ice 50 + fish. It’s worth a conversation.

Big butterball blue!

Well gee, I never expected such a harsh response from the “resident expert” on every thread when I was responding to someone else. You went out of your way to attack me personally. It had nothing to do with you.
What did I do to you to deserve that?

For your information communicating with other boats is how we have stayed on the moving schools of albacores since I’ve been fishing them for the last 12 years.
As far as bringing my old friend Deryk, who do you think started his addiction?

Carry on with your attention whoring as I get a chuckle out of that.

Well gee, I never expected such a harsh response from the “resident expert” on every thread when I was responding to someone else. You went out of your way to attack me personally. It had nothing to do with you.
What did I do to you to deserve that?

For your information communicating with other boats is how we have stayed on the moving schools of albacores since I’ve been fishing them for the last 12 years.
As far as bringing my old friend Deryk, who do you think started his addiction?

Carry on with your attention whoring as I get a chuckle out of that.

Lol. It's a forum. You publicly flamed someone for doing the same thing you do. And you don't like being called out on it. If you have political reasons to make comments about people posting pictures of their tuna catch then explain that to people and also explain why it's ok for you to post pictures but not others lol.
Pot calling the kettle black.

I chose to spend my time here sharing positive things in life and reading about other people's positive things. If that to you is attention whoring then you fellow, well I feel very sad for you. I can see what your true colors are all about by that comment.
When I read your posts all over this forum the feeling I get is negative, angry, sad, and with a very large chip on your shoulder. Good luck to you.

giphy.gif

It's only a matter of time before the regs change for albacore tuna. Not only the catch limits per person but also the fact that most guys (and guides) currently doing it are not by the book when it comes to certifications, safety equipment, etc for 25kt + offshore. Personally I think there should be a max number of tuna per boat (say 30 or 40) and a max number per angler (maybe 10?) and max for the season. We've all seen pics of the 100+ tuna coming off a single rec boat in the past few years. We've also seen far too many tuna spoiled by greedy anglers looking to stuff their boats so full of fish and not having enough space / ice to handle these fish properly. This mentality is something we need to change coastwide for all fisheries and it is happening but not quickly enough, IMO.

I've been out tuna fishing many times and I've been lucky enough to be with guys who are very safety conscious and responsible boaters and anglers. I've also seen too many examples of boats completely inadequate in terms of safety / communications gear. I know this **** is expensive but there needs to be a minimum requirement. When a little open single engine boat ends up 50 miles offshore and loads up on 50 tuna and can barely limp its way home cause it's so loaded down it's just a matter of time before really bad stuff happens. Offshore emergencies quite often don't end well... and they are expensive to respond to.

On the plus side most in the rec tuna world are pretty good about using radios, etc and working as a team. Most are also good about taking what the need and not wasting. Unfortunately like most things it just takes a few bad apples to ruin the bunch.
Thought we could move this discussion over to a new thread

Lol. It's a forum. You publicly flamed someone for doing the same thing you do. And you don't like being called out on it. If you have political reasons to make comments about people posting pictures of their tuna catch then explain that to people and also explain why it's ok for you to post pictures but not others lol.
Pot calling the kettle black.

I chose to spend my time here sharing positive things in life and reading about other people's positive things. If that to you is attention whoring then you fellow, well I feel very sad for you. I can see what your true colors are all about by that comment.
When I read your posts all over this forum the feeling I get is negative, angry, sad, and with a very large chip on your shoulder. Good luck to you.

giphy.gif
Who did i flame? Was it you? No it wasn't! It had nothing to do with you but you chose that as an opportunity to attack me.

I was commenting on the bad optics and you went all high school. Was that too negative for you? I deal in reality. Don't like it use the block function.I'm sure going toattention-red.jpg

I get the reaction to the hero photos, makes a lot of sense not to be drawing attention - certainly gives us something to think about. BC does have daily and total possession Tuna limits that are in line with other jurisdictions. In fact, some nearby jurisdictions have no limits:

California and Washington are currently considering bag limits for albacore tuna for their respective states while Oregon currently has an albacore bag limit of 25 fish. Westport albacore fishing believes in these laws. In order to fish for albacore tuna, a recreational fishing license is required.

The facts are vessel size and stability limits the number of fish per trip. Stability for example is a safety limitation - too much catch directly impacts a vessel's stability and sea worthiness. Vessel size also limits the amount of ice and coolers that can be carried due to requirement for cold storage of catch to avoid histamine poisoning. Poorly handled catch can result in histamine poisoning - to avoid it, strict catch handling guidelines need to be followed carefully. Ultimately the vessel itself limits the actual catch capacity.

To avoid histamine poisoning the Readers Digest version is to kill and bleed your catch; quickly cool it down in an ice slurry bath; ice down fish to keep them as cold as possible; once ashore, quickly process and freeze your catch. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/in...ing/scombroid/eng/1332280657698/1332280735024

For those reasons, the current catch limits are a reasonable approach due to safety limitations of the vessels. In addition, given the prohibitive cost of going off shore 40 to 100 miles to catch tuna - if we had different limits the price of entry to the fishery would simply make it an un-desirable pursuit. People want to get a reasonable number of fish to meet their needs in the least number of trips - the cost of getting out there is significant.

Last edited:
Back