9.9 Yamy woes???

Prowler

I recently put a new 9.9 power trim Yamaha kicker on one of our boats, and am not impressed!! Very finicky when cold and takes for ever to warm up and run, then after running for sometimes hours, it will stall out of the blue. Almost like its starving for feul?
Tried running it off a day tank instead of the main, and it was a bit better, but still stalled a few times.. Talked to a few people with the same prob, but nobody has found the cure yet.. Any ideas would be great..

hey prowler,i had a 90hp honda and when it was cold in the fall it took some warming up,but i think thats normal for a 4-stroke.but stalling out after its warm is strange,might need some air screw adj,cant be to serious.on a happier note got my first hali today off southbank,no scale but it was a easy 50lb,no ****,im serious.

hey prowler,i had a 90hp honda and when it was cold in the fall it took some warming up,but i think thats normal for a 4-stroke.but stalling out after its warm is strange,might need some air screw adj,cant be to serious.on a happier note got my first hali today off southbank,no scale but it was a easy 50lb,no ****,im serious.

Hey Manitoban, thats awsome!!! Must have been a gorgeouse dat out there.. I was pounding the highway on the Hog all day, so even though I wasnt on the water, still had a great day!! Ya this Yamy is givin me a rash!! but it sounds like a fairly comon prob, so I've got the Yamy guys looking into it, should see some results soon. Like I say, all the other 4 strokes Ive had , and am still running on other boats are awsome, but this is a new design, so who knows???
1 more day on the bike, then back to the boats, to get ready for the season. Did you see many other boats out there?? Were you jigging for the hali, or did you get him on the troll??
Talk to you later...
Prowler out....

Hey Manitoban, thats awsome!!! Must have been a gorgeouse dat out there.. I was pounding the highway on the Hog all day, so even though I wasnt on the water, still had a great day!! Ya this Yamy is givin me a rash!! but it sounds like a fairly comon prob, so I've got the Yamy guys looking into it, should see some results soon. Like I say, all the other 4 strokes Ive had , and am still running on other boats are awsome, but this is a new design, so who knows???
1 more day on the bike, then back to the boats, to get ready for the season. Did you see many other boats out there?? Were you jigging for the hali, or did you get him on the troll??
Talk to you later...
Prowler out....

Talk to you later...
Prowler out....

ya,we were jigging in 165ft with mudrackers,also got 3 octipuss,is that common or what?must have just got lucky because thats all we got.

ya,we were jigging in 165ft with mudrackers,also got 3 octipuss,is that common or what?must have just got lucky because thats all we got.

I hope you didnt throw them away!!! Fresh octopus is like candy to halis!!! Bar none, the best hali bait on the planet, and no, its not very comon at all... Quite strange to get 3 in 1 day!!
Must have hit a nurserie or something??

I hope you didnt throw them away!!! Fresh octopus is like candy to halis!!! Bar none, the best hali bait on the planet, and no, its not very comon at all... Quite strange to get 3 in 1 day!!

Finaly got this thing to run right, and at no small expence!!
Ended up running the rig down the canal to Port, where Garet, one of the mechanics there took out his diagnostic tools, and went to work, looking for the problem. Turns out the feul pump on these new PT 9.9 Yammys, isnt powerfull enough to draw from the main feul tank, through the raycor filter, or even from a day tank for that matter!
Garret took the pump apart and streched the spring in the diaphram to give it a little more "pump", and also removed a small part of the casting that he said was reducing the flow of feul. I also spoke to a buddy who had the same prob. and told me that his guy did the same thing, but also drilled out a small plug that was covering the mixture screw, and opened it up a bit for better performance, so I did the same thing when I got home, and sure enough, once you get at the screw, it was almost closed..!!??
Opened it up to 2 turns, and it sounded good at idle, so left it at that. First trip out with it since then yesterday, and it never missed a beat all day..
Glad its finaly running right, but not impressed with all the screwing around, to get a brand new $3500 motor to do what its supposed to do..

Ended up running the rig down the canal to Port, where Garet, one of the mechanics there took out his diagnostic tools, and went to work, looking for the problem. Turns out the feul pump on these new PT 9.9 Yammys, isnt powerfull enough to draw from the main feul tank, through the raycor filter, or even from a day tank for that matter!
Garret took the pump apart and streched the spring in the diaphram to give it a little more "pump", and also removed a small part of the casting that he said was reducing the flow of feul. I also spoke to a buddy who had the same prob. and told me that his guy did the same thing, but also drilled out a small plug that was covering the mixture screw, and opened it up a bit for better performance, so I did the same thing when I got home, and sure enough, once you get at the screw, it was almost closed..!!??
Opened it up to 2 turns, and it sounded good at idle, so left it at that. First trip out with it since then yesterday, and it never missed a beat all day..
Glad its finaly running right, but not impressed with all the screwing around, to get a brand new $3500 motor to do what its supposed to do..

good to hear you got that yammy runnin,once again thanks for the fishin help,i hear portland point has been hot,ill try this weekend at southbank or lighthouse and see how it goes.goodluck everyone..

good to hear you got that yammy runnin,once again thanks for the fishin help,i hear portland point has been hot,ill try this weekend at southbank or lighthouse and see how it goes.goodluck everyone..

Back