9.9 e tec

1marko

why does evinrude not make
a 9.9..? or is the 15 hp they offer the rivals four stroke weight equivalent. ?

also what used four stroke would you
recommend. ?

Happy with my Yamaha 9.9 HT. It’s a 2013 and I got it for $1700 with a claim of 50hrs.

It's funny how few manufacturers actually make a small kicker a lot have just handed it over to the Chinese and Korean companies as they can't compete. On my '06 Lund I had a Johnson 9.9 to match my ETec but the Johnson was actually a Sazuki in Johnson colours. Merc doesn't make their small kickers they are made by Tohatsu you can save about $500 on the same kicker by buying a Tohatsu

I'm with "Stizzla" on this one.I've owned a lot of boats over the years and have found the 9.9 high thrust Yamaha's absolutely bullet-proof.

The only issue I had with my 2000 Yamaha high trust that I bought in 2009 with tons of hours was that the small ports were plugged with salt. This made the motor run hot as it had reduced water cooling in the engine. I had to take the power head off to find the plugged ports to carefully drill the ports. After that it ran fine, now I flush my 2012 Yamaha with Salt Away every second trip in the ocean.

The only issue I had with my 2000 Yamaha high trust that I bought in 2009 with tons of hours was that the small ports were plugged with salt. This made the motor run hot as it had reduced water cooling in the engine. I had to take the power head off to find the plugged ports to carefully drill the ports. After that it ran fine, now I flush my 2012 Yamaha with Salt Away every second trip in the ocean.
I recommend flushing both motors every time. And rinse the trailer thoroughly. They rust quickly if you don’t!

I have a 2017 mercury pro 15 on my 23’ striper....nice to look at but ...
Never again. It’s loud ...

I had a Honda 50 on a 16’ boat and it was much quieter.

I think paying a bit extra for the least amount of noise would be ideal

That little 9.9 Johnson/ Sazuki I had was a darn good little motor ran it for 12 years no issues it had a whack of hours on it and never missed a beat. Very quiet little motor.

recommend. ?
About 5-6 years ago (at least) I was at the Outdoor show at Abbotsford I talked to the Bombardier Rep about smaller ETEC's and at that time he said that they were working on a 15hp and a 9.9 hp, well they have come out with a 15hp but no 9.9hp. The 15hp is quite heavy for a 2 stroke, they call it a camp model. I too wish they came out with a 9.9.

I have a 2017 mercury pro 15 on my 23’ striper....nice to look at but ...
Never again. It’s loud ...

I had a Honda 50 on a 16’ boat and it was much quieter.

I think paying a bit extra for the least amount of noise would be ideal

Same problem here. Hate the loudness

I run a 2006(ish) Honda 15 with about a million hours on it and am perfectly happy. Would recommend it to the stars and back.
I feel that if it fell off the boat while towing and skidded along the pavement it would still start first pull ;)

I had a etec 15ho kicker on my last boat. It was an awesome engine while I had the boat. Always flashed right up, wasn't overly loud and had a ton of power. The downside is that it was really heavy and big . It's more designed to be on the back of heavy boats I think.

Love the little Yams. I have a 8hp HT, they are quite legendary for their reliability. wouldn't be surprised if it outlives the main. They don't make the 8 anymore in HT though as they have the 9.9 and they are similar in weight and power. My understanding is that the 8 had less starting issues than the 9.9 can have ( a little less cold blooded), but i can't substantiate that with experience.

Not trying to hijack the thread; but what’s your guys’ experience with Suzuki 9.9 EFI? My main is a zuki DF140 and I’m extremely happy with it. Planning to pair it with a Suzuki kicker.

Last edited:
Same problem here. Hate the loudness

Is it more of lower pitched bass kinda noise, mine does that also, like kinda sends a bass sounding hum vibration through the boat. Can be annoying but was wondering if it was my mounting set up, changed that when I swapped from Yamaha to merc.

Definitely Yamaha motors on troll for me,
have had a couple of HT's now , smoothest quietest ive fished from ,
but far from bullet proof , TRUST me , plugged carb arteries will bite ya in the butt one day, when ya least expect it ,
easy fix if ya know what ur doin , ****** if y a dont..ruins a trip quickly... hopefully you have a "Gordy" around to help out if needed !!
ive put thousands of hours on them.... love them...
Merc Kickers suck...

fd

recommend. ?
I have a 2011 9.8hp evinrude 4 stroke and it works great. I would recommend it, and getting the electric start/tilt

Last edited:
Back