9.8 Tohatsu/nissan

Gypseas

Looking at getting a new kicker for the new rig. Stumbled over a 9.8 tohatsu and was wondering since it's not a common motor around here if anyone has or had one and would share their thoughts on the good/bad/ugly

Thanks

Not common...need any one say more?

Well, I have actually owned one of those little CHEAP “Tohatsu” outboard motors! J

It was one of the most reliable kickers I have ever owned! It just doesn’t have one of those cool names, I also admit I abused the **** out of that thing (on purpose) as I wanted one of those other cool names. I will also admit it was just as reliable if not more than any others I've owned even with the abuse it was givent. I just couldn’t kill that thing. Back then, the name was very unknown, but more people asked me about it than any other I’ve owned, right up until when it finally got stolen!

“Tohatsu” started out as Takata Motor Research Institute in 1922 and has been building outboards since 1935. OEM for Nissan outboards since 1984. Brunswick who owns Mercury formed a joint venture with Tohatsu in 1988 named “Tohatsu Marine Corporation.” Tohatsu Marine Corporation has been building small outboards under the “Mercury” label since. Tohatsu America Corporation also known as TAC was formed and started selling Tohatsu in the U.S., May 2002.

Personally, I would own another. J

charlie you are a wealth of information, al for buying one, two questions are you using it for trolling you boat or as a spare if using as a troller then, I would think of a high thrust for a big boat like yours and second the battery charging the high trust has a bigger charging unit, which I don't think the tohatsu has. why cheap out this far is there really that much price difference. unless your one of those guys that has to be different, then go for it

They are more popular in 3rd world countries but not many are in use here. I would be concerned with a lack of service outlets and parts. Also resale value. If it doesn't work out you may have to take what you can get to dump it.

I didn't realize the U.S. and Japan were still considered third world counties! :D

There really isn't any "off brands" left for sale here in the States and Canada. Our EPA Standards pretty much took care of those! Unless things have changed, which I know they have not Tohatsu makes ALL Mercury outboards under 40hp, including the Bigfoot. J

Tohatsu or Nissan: Is there any difference?
Tohatsu is the maker of all Nissan outboards. They are identical with the exception of brand label (decals). Nissans are typically slightly higher in price as a result of the premium branding. There is no difference in features, specifications, or warranty. The only difference is the decals.

Does Tohatsu make Nissan and Mercury outboards?
Yes. Tohatsu makes ALL Nissan outboards and Mercury outboards below 40hp. We do not sell Mercury outboards as Tohatsu and Nissan are considerably less expensive than the Mercury label.
http://www.onlineoutboards.com/Tohatsu-9-8-hp-MFS9-8A3EPTL.html

If you are looking at size of alternators, surprise! You will find Tohatsu actually puts out more Watts on their 9.8 than any Mercury 9.9,including Bigfoot. That really should not be a factor. You have to get into the 15HP outboards to really up the "factory" charging:
Tohatsu 9.8 Alternator: 12V 80W 6A
Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot Alternator: 12V 76W 6A
http://www.mercurymarine.com/engines/outboards/fourstrokes/8-9.9/

Parts and Warranty? I wouldn’t worry too much there either? If there are concerns give one of these “authorized BC dealers” around Victoria a call:

West Coast Offshore Marine
89 Dallas Rd
Victoria BC V8V1A1
Phone 250-381-5900
Fax 250-382-8999
Websitewww.westcoastoffshore.ca

South Island Marine
2280 Harbour Rd.
Sidney BC V8L2P6
Phone 250-656-1405
Fax 250-656-1435

Mid Isle Marine
1429 Fulford Ganges Rd.
Saltspring Island BC V8K 2V9
Phone 250-653-4020
Fax 250-653-4020

If there is a question about size, weight of boat, and thrust… I would recommend buying a larger kicker - say a 15HP, whether it be Tohatsu, Mercury, or any other brands! People swear by Honda, also! :D

I really would have NO problems, if I needed a kicker buying a Tohatsu – AT ALL, nor do I have problems recommending one! You might really want to look at your “bang for the buck” there when comparing all the options. Side by side comparing Tohatsu, Mercury, Yamaha, and Honda I believe you will find Tohatsu will win that one – by THOUSANDS of dollars!

End result don't really go by "brand name" when buying any outboard, anymore - they are all good. Look for the options you want, your "bang for buck," and buy the one that you want! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie, as always a very educated response!

Thank you all for your input.
Cheers

Charlie. I merely stated they are "more" popular in 3rd world countries....not exclusive. I stand by that. I could count on one hand how many Nissan or Tohatsu engines I see in my travels. There are more small Merc kickers around but the vast majority are Yami or Honda.

As stated, a Tohatsu is a Mercury with different stickers on it. And there's lots of Merc kickers out there.
I have a Yammie only because I got it cheap from a friend.

Small Mercs are everything but Mercs

As stated, a Tohatsu is a Mercury with different stickers on it. And there's lots of Merc kickers out there.
I have a Yammie only because I got it cheap from a friend.
Maybe you meant a Merc. is just a Tohatsu with different stickers on it. ?

When I was at that outdoor show I talked to the rep there for a long time and asked a lot of questions because like you Ill be wanting a new kicker . the only downfall is the leg gear ratio its NOT a high thrust which i dont think ill ever venture from thats where the real market is in my opinion. so ill be getting a yammy again why screw with perfection??? for the price difference it was really enough to worry about.

Wolf

sooke marine center is all so a Nissan tohatsu dealer. like posted above alot of the newer 4 stroke 9.9 merc's are tohasu's. people i've talked to who own them are very pleased with there performance and parts aren't really that hard to get since there's a large U.S. warehouse.

the only downfall is the leg gear ratio its NOT a high thrust which i dont think ill ever venture from thats where the real market is in my opinion. Wolf

That was the deciding factor for me too. Pulled the trig today.

cheers

Back