88/12

Cuba Libre

The Minister has refused to rethink the allocation of halibut. We are screwed with 12%. One and one seems to be what we are facing. I pity the guys trying to run a business when its obvious that the Conservatives could care less about them and what they contribute to the economy.

Wanna bet there will be a whole bunch of injured ping-pong paddles going over the side while anglers keep searching for that one decent fish to make the days fishing worthwhile?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Fishing for years in the charlottes, mind you with circle hooks, have caught many ping pong paddles and have had no problems with the release.I think it depends on the hooks used, maybe try larger hooks or the circles and the problems you encounter with release will be eased!

Well, with the latest DFO's minister's letter out now it is obvious that the DFO could care less about recreational halibut fishers, guides and lodges! (and in my opinion, a similar lousy situation will roll out for Victoria area rec. fishers and guides for salmon this season).

In regards to halibut the DFO are ignoring our plight to favour the commercial sector at our expenses. I say it is time to turn up the heat and seriously think about some peaceful, legal protests (e.g. like some of the ideas discussed at the last SFAB meeting in Victoria) to try to change this @#%&ing lousy situation we face. Now is the time to start making our voices heard even louder!!! That's my 2 bits!

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

What I read is that the door is not closed yet and there have been no definitive decisions made. I do however believe that if we had a split on the shoulder portion of the season at 1 and 1 and then went to 2 possession at peak season that would easily meet their concerns. especially considering that most lodge and charter companies will more than likely see up to approximately 30% less business due to the economy. Therefore a natural reduction in sport caught halibut would occur this year as consumers play caution. Perhaps the same would be seen the following year as the economy is thus far leaning heavily towards this trend. Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

I hate it when people imply that the average fisherman would release injured fish to keep fishing for one that is worth keeping in terms of size.... Cuba Libre, its passive aggresive hostility like that which hurts our reputation as avid fisherman during times of protest.

ON another note, If Jimmy Pattison owns all the licenses dont you think he has alot more pull on what goes on with the commercial fishery than we do with our own recreational one.?!?!

[quoteON another note, If Jimmy Pattison owns all the licenses dont you think he has alot more pull on what goes on with the commercial fishery than we do with our own recreational one.?!?!

[/quote]
Jimmy owns very little of the BC halibut quota. Most of it is held by individuals. Canadian fish is heavy in salmon and herring.

Back