• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
I find it really very hard to take people seriously especially when many of them personally don't even know me and continue to paint people with the same brush stroke. Blah, blah, blah.

Post your license. :)

Don't be A-Scared you are legally allowed to obtain your full license quota. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am a status HAIDA. I do not live in Haida Gwaii or any reservation in Canada. I pay taxes just like 94% of the population does.

I have had commercial license, I do have sports license. With both licenses in 2018-19 I killed and kept two(2) fish.

Its time to stop pointing fingers and painting people with the same brush. If it's legal harvest who cares. If it's ilegal F*cking REPORT it! I don't care what fishing sector you are from, I don't even care if you are ENGO, green-mind or just an asshole in your life...stop pointing fingers and painting people with that dirty old ****** brush. :)
Your a bit of you didn't tell me how deep and what you caught it on

[QUOTE. If it's ilegal F*cking REPORT it! I don't care what fishing sector you are from, I don't even care if you are ENGO, green-mind or just an asshole in your life...stop pointing fingers and painting people with that dirty old ****** brush. :)[/QUOTE]

"If it's ilegal F*cking REPORT it! I don't care what fishing sector you are from"
The problem is most times little or nothing is done to stop the illegal.

I find it really very hard to take people seriously especially when many of them personally don't even know me and continue to paint people with the same brush stroke. Blah, blah, blah.

Don't be A-Scared you are legally allowed to obtain your full license quota. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am a status HAIDA. I do not live in Haida Gwaii or any reservation in Canada. I pay taxes just like 94% of the population does.

I have had commercial license, I do have sports license. With both licenses in 2018-19 I killed and kept two(2) fish.

Its time to stop pointing fingers and painting people with the same brush. If it's legal harvest who cares. If it's ilegal F*cking REPORT it! I don't care what fishing sector you are from, I don't even care if you are ENGO, green-mind or just an asshole in your life...stop pointing fingers and painting people with that dirty old ****** brush. :)

Does anyone know if you are suppose to recorded the sub area I always do and assumed you are suppose to but there does seem to be some uncertainty around that.

I had several “discussions “ with dfo personal over the last 25 years about our Chinook fishery. I had always heard about the stocks being in trouble. I suggested “naively I guess” that we should just take fewer fish. I said why are we each allowed to keep 15 Springs in the Ocean if stocks are that low. Their response was always the same, if the fishery can’t handle those numbers as they are, then we[dfo] haven’t been doing our jobs, so if for some reason the rec sector isn’t allowed 15 each in the salt, it would be closed not changed to reflect shrinking stocks.
I always found that reply odd. I was suggesting conservation and they said no thanks. I can’t tell you how many times I heard that. I thought a 33% reduction from 15 to 10 sounded like allot, especially if was Province wide, and they always said it wasn’t the answer. I would gladly go to 10 a year now as I would have then. Even at 10, I wouldn’t have never kept a full license even though the opportunity was there to do so.

I had several “discussions “ with dfo personal over the last 25 years about our Chinook fishery. I had always heard about the stocks being in trouble. I suggested “naively I guess” that we should just take fewer fish. I said why are we each allowed to keep 15 Springs in the Ocean if stocks are that low. Their response was always the same, if the fishery can’t handle those numbers as they are, then we[dfo] haven’t been doing our jobs, so if for some reason the rec sector isn’t allowed 15 each in the salt, it would be closed not changed to reflect shrinking stocks.
I always found that reply odd. I was suggesting conservation and they said no thanks. I can’t tell you how many times I heard that. I thought a 33% reduction from 15 to 10 sounded like allot, especially if was Province wide, and they always said it wasn’t the answer. I would gladly go to 10 a year now as I would have then. Even at 10, I wouldn’t have never kept a full license even though the opportunity was there to do so.

For what it is worth has the chinook yearly allowable total not been 30? Yes 15 for certain areas like Georgia str for instance, but 30 anally coast wide??

Also, wen one is measuring the actual affect of shrinking the annual limit, would it be beneficial to know how many of our sectors total is made up from fishers who put in multiple days on the water (ie do it your selfers, locals, and the like) vrs 1 or 2 day a year fishers (traveling do it your selfers, lodge and charter customers and the like) who will only retain 2 or 4 chinook annually?
Don't get me wrong I am not advocating for or against, I am just offering my thoughts wen I conciser why they would say that to you.

cheers: Ray

Also, wen one is measuring the actual affect of shrinking the annual limit, would it be beneficial to know how many of our sectors total is made up from fishers who put in multiple days on the water (ie do it your selfers, locals, and the like) vrs 1 or 2 day a year fishers (traveling do it your selfers, lodge and charter customers and the like) who will only retain 2 or 4 chinook annually?
Don't get me wrong I am not advocating for or against, I am just offering my thoughts wen I conciser why they would say that to you.

50% of the chinook retained by the public fishery is though guided operations. I think I saw something posted a year ago that the annual retention limit would have to get below 7 before it material affected the public fishery catch.

No question the total catch varies from area to area. My point, however basic, was when faced with declining numbers dfo shrugged off suggestions of catch reductions. Now as we sit around our campfires wondering “WHAT HAPPENED “ to all those fish, maybe the smallest of measures no matter how insignificant they might have seemed like in 1995, would have been sound advice to listen to. It just seemed liked even as the evidence was staring them, and us, right in the face, they didn’t believe that it could come to this. I can’t help but think that folks on the East Coast, as cod stocks were collapsing, said exactly the same things, and we know how that turned out. I don’t have allot of faith in Politicians who take big cash contributions from organizations that need to catch as many fish as possible for profits sake, and then make the decisions for the future of our salmon. My apologies for offending anyone but to me that’s a conflict of interest. I say that because if the government made the right call, those campaign contributions would disappear. How a dozen CEO’s trump 150,000 Canadian citizen anglers is beyond me. But that’s our system.

What copy would you like a picture of? The one in my boat, the one in my truck, the one in my wallet, or the one saved to my desktop?

Awesome, thank you for being forthwith. Please share them all. I have one. the one I posted. I worked too much in retail during this last season so my licence shows it. I never made it to the fishing grounds to take advantage of my commercial license. Oh well, perhaps this year I will have better opportunities...hard to say as I am working 7 days a week right now between my retail job and my own startup. :)
Three zeros and a 2. One trip to gold river 2 boats, 6 guys, 2 Fish. This year looks like I’ll be polishing my clubs instead of tackle.
Best of luck with the new startup. Hope it’s to do with harvesting pinnipeds.

194,066 Chinook divided by $1,100,000,000 billion = $5668/fish in revenue to our economy. The Rec fishery is a huge economic driver and job generator for Canada. We should be looking for ways to ensure it thrives even more, and figure out how to engage FN's into the fishery so they can also benefit. Sadly some FN's aren't seeing the potential benefits from increasing participation in the fishery. Their solution is to close all recreational fisheries, and maintain status quo for their in-river fisheries...I get the cultural connection, but the economics of selling fish without maximizing the value chain don't add up for me. Reading their submissions to the IPHC (some are cookie cutter) I found it absolutely absurd for them to argue against Marked Selective Fisheries (MSF) because there aren't enough marked fish, and we need CWT's to assess stock composition and abundance...there will be no CWT's if the rec fishery is closed...chicken and egg argument there.

That's insane. If I'm reading that correctly FN fisheries, most years, takes 3-4x the amount of rec fishing...yet we are getting hammered. Insane. And places like Telegraph Cove are being reduced over 35 fish in the past 3 years.

This is where IMO some of the silly ness of the supreme court decision plays out. Technically thats 35 fish to many, Before you can limit the FSC nets on the river the rec take of that stock has to be zero. hence this statement that's found its way into many of the first nations letter.

"First Nations would like to remind Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) that FIRST NATIONS HAVE A PRIORITY RIGHT, AFTER CONSERVATION, as affirmed under Section 35.1 of the Constitution Act, and supported by the United Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People’s (UNDRIP), the Van der Peet Case and the Sparrow Case. With the obligation of the Department to adequately engage in direct bilateral consultation with First Nation governments."

"For over three years now, First Nation–alongside many other Indigenous communities–has been recommending the Department implement a number of stricter management measures to protect Southern BC Chinook and Indigenous priority rights fisheries."

Back