60lb/15lb Halibut Limit - Let's Discuss

no f'n way, time, tides, opportunity, i am not setting up anchor and all the necessary gear to catch a 60!!! hali are a trophy fish. i will troll the banks for the under no prob, thats easy.......

Has this been confirmed as being true and actually to be the rule for 2013??

Well at least Searun doesnt have to worry about the QCL guides taking all those big halibut eating up the TAC.

what a trolling ***** canoe you are!!! we all should have access to trophy fish, are you not canadian?

Well at least Searun doesnt have to worry about the QCL guides taking all those big halibut eating up the TAC.

Oh way more fish are gonna die as a result.

Halis with barbed trebles into there gullets don't live long after release. BUT...

Those big dead ones hitting the bottom don't take anything from our TAC so fish on...

Goddamned retards.

I've caught a few halibut 50 to 60 pounds and I just have a hard time visualizing an easy way to measure a halibut that size without gaffing it and bringing it onboard.

Maybe those that came up with this idea have never caught a halibut, who knows.

What would be wrong with just having 1 a day limit with no size restrictions and 2 in possession, but only have it open 5 days a week..........for instance, closed for halibut on Mondays and Thursdays. Just throwing ideas around.

It just isn't right that the recreational sector take such a big hit. Why not make the major stakeholders take the brunt of the cutbacks. That 85/15 comm./rec. is rediculous when you consider the huge impact recreational fishing has to the BC economy and WCVI......it's just plain wrong in so many ways.

From the Urban Dictionary....

1.SFAB8 up, 2 down
suck for a buck. Used to describe a really nasty, skanky girl.
See that nasty chick? That's a SFAB girl if there ever was one.

;)

How the hell was this even considered by sfab? Are they ****ing brain dead? Unbelievable. Think there needs to be some new elections and appointments on that board....wow. 1/2 shoulder 1/1 main was a much better option and even left fish in the water. Plus better for locals!!!! These people and dfo are a f***ing joke!!!

I've caught a few halibut 50 to 60 pounds and I just have a hard time visualizing an easy way to measure a halibut that size without gaffing it and bringing it onboard.

Maybe those that came up with this idea have never caught a halibut, who knows.
I have exactly the same question.

What would be wrong with just having 1 a day limit with no size restrictions and 2 in possession, but only have it open 5 days a week..........for instance, closed for halibut on Mondays and Thursdays. Just throwing ideas around.
<stuff clipped>
I don't know the data, but my best guess says that most of the fish are caught on Sat. and Sun. A couple of mid week closures may not have that much of an effect.

Many halibut will die because of this new and stupid idea..... Maybe the SFAB should put forth a plan to give away commercial quota while their at it. Starting to think it would be one of the first thing the SFAB would put forward that would be excepted.

This is so stupid.

I would just love to know. When I'm back in bc in may of 2014 I'm getting involved in this crap in a big way!!!
Tell you what Dave I'd quit fishing before ever even attended another stupid waste of time area 14 meeting open to the public. If their other meetings are as slow and boring I'd never ever want to be a member unless I had no life and enjoyed crappy coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back