60 hp mercury stuck in gear???

papalorge

Decided to swap out the impeller this weekend which was easy enough but I guess the gears shifted some how and now I cant get the prop to spin freely in neutral, its like its always stuck in forward. Its an older merc (early 90's) with the linkage on the inside of the leg if that helps. Does anyone know how to shift this thing with out taking to a shop?

If you've been able to do what you did so far then no need to go to a shop.

Did you reconnect the shift linkage under the cowl? If so the shift linkage got out of line. Probably by you turning the prop mid service. Pull the lower unit again, then put shifter in neutral and put unit back on again. Try this and you should be fine.

Normally when you change impellers you leave in fwd gear then drop out unit carefully and don't let driveshaft turn. Then replace impeller and reinstall.

I didn't touch anything under the cowl. but did move the prop during service and then played with the linkage conection in the leg when I coudnt find neutral. it rotates counter clockwise then clicks, then you can rotate it back. Is there a setting I should try on that part?

Thank you

Where the linkage comes down to the lower unit, is there a knob that the shift rod seats to? If there is, there is a chance that this little know got rotated when you were separating the lower unit from the mid section. That would put you into no-man's land. On my 92 60hp, it's just a matter of rotating back between forward, neutral and reverse depending on what your control box position is. As mentioned above, it sounds like a simple misalignment.

yes
Where the linkage comes down to the lower unit, is there a knob that the shift rod seats to? If there is, there is a chance that this little know got rotated when you were separating the lower unit from the mid section. That would put you into no-man's land. On my 92 60hp, it's just a matter of rotating back between forward, neutral and reverse depending on what your control box position is. As mentioned above, it sounds like a simple misalignment.

yes I'm pretty sure the little knob has been rotated. How much pressure should I put on it to rotate it back into place? I have tried this but doesn't seem to ever get me to neutral

If memory serves me right, you ca rotate the knob either way to engage forward or reverse. I think it will click into gear at which point you can rotate the prop to verify whether you have popped it into forward or reverse. Once you know what gear you're in, adjust the controls at the box to be in either forward or reverse and re-assemble. Before you rotate the knob, check to see if it's already in gear or if the prop spins freely in both directions. If you're already in gear, I think it's just a matter of reassembly. It has been a while since I ran into the same issue but the fix was along those lines for me.

I found a video and some info on my problem. I'll post the video showing the issue but doesn't show any solution.(looks like the same leg). The info I found said to put a wrench on the shift shaft coupler and force counter clock wise until you hit neutral but I'm a little leery about busting something.

Sorry to hear you are still working on this. You will get it if you keep at it. Every boat owner that changed their own impellers has to learn these little tricks. I've replaced many impellers on a wide range of my own outboards over the years. All are somewhat similiar.

It does take a bit of persuasion some times to click it into gear or neutral. You should feel it "click" into Rev, Fwd and neutral.

Sorry to hear you are still working on this. You will get it if you keep at it. Every boat owner that changed their own impellers has to learn these little tricks. I've replaced many impellers on a wide range of my own outboards over the years. All are somewhat similiar.

It does take a bit of persuasion some times to click it into gear or neutral. You should feel it "click" into Rev, Fwd and neutral.

So, put a wrench on it? and only go counter clockwise right?

Last edited:
If the impliier stick , take the lower leg out . If the impeller is still stuck. The gear are rust . Therefore they aren't good.

Keep leg is down.

If leg is up for over winter, rain can penetrating into the gear become rust

If the impliier stick , take the lower leg out . If the impeller is still stuck. The gear are rust . Therefore they aren't good.

Keep leg is down.

If leg is up for over winter, rain can penetrating into the gear become rust

No the impeller was fine and the prop still turns fine its just stuck in gear and cant go back to neutral to re-install

Keep at it.
I had this happen on an old merc kicker and it took me 2 days of several hours a day to finally get it.

My advice is to be extremely patient and try not to get too frustrated. I learned my lesson to add a paint strip and note for where **** should be for reassembly.

I am sure you'll take that away too :)

HA!!! Finally got it.
1. put the leg in a vice
2. slowly turn the propeller while at the same time with a wrench on the shifter link, lightly push the link counter-clockwise till you can feel it push past the forward notch it was stuck in.
Boom. NEUTRAL!

The trick was, needing just a little more leverage than just my hand and also turning the prop while twisting. Pretty hard to do without a vice.

Thanks guys for all the help

Back