557 hp outboard motor!

You wouldnt need twins LOL LOL
not on a 23 ft hourston anyways LOL LOL

You wouldnt need twins LOL LOL
not on a 23 ft hourston anyways LOL LOL

True Wolf, but can you imagine what they'd perform like on... let's say... a 28 foot Grady!!! :D

1114 Ponies! Should make Big Bank in ~ 13 minutes! Wonder just how much of a drinking problem they might have though...

Cheers,
Nog

True Wolf, but can you imagine what they'd perform like on... let's say... a 28 foot Grady!!! :D

1114 Ponies! Should make Big Bank in ~ 13 minutes! Wonder just how much of a drinking problem they might have though...

Cheers,
Nog

Probably need to tow a barge for fuel lol.

And need to plant a forest to offset all that extra carbon dioxide pumped into the atmosphere from the said fuel barge.....LOL

agreed Englishman! Would be really nice to see the fuel efficiency ratings of outboards over the past few decades. I know in the auto industry the 'improvement' in fuel efficiency during the 80's and 90's was essentially nil which is pretty pathetic given all the scientific advances. Currently there are many people who make a lot of $$$ when efficiency remains poor but I for one would fully support a manufacturer who is leading the way in the efficiency dept. I'll do some research and see what I can big up. I have had Yamaha's for the past 2 decades myself but mostly because of reliability as opposed to fuel efficiency

The price is {drum roll} 60,000. The biggest gain on fuel efficiency would be gained from hull design, any motor pushing a boat on plane is working at nearly 90% of it's capacity. Displacement hulls are the most efficient as yet.

The price is {drum roll} 60,000. The biggest gain on fuel efficiency would be gained from hull design, any motor pushing a boat on plane is working at nearly 90% of it's capacity. Displacement hulls are the most efficient as yet.

Is this price retail or manufacture pricing?

The price came from an article in Pacific Yachting, I imagine there will be add-ons such as steering props and controls.

here's a good link for cars and trucks - http://www.pewenvironment.org/uploadedFiles/PEG/Publications/Fact_Sheet/History of Fuel Economy.pdf

I would guess boat engines are similar?? Harder to do research when Wiki is shut down for the day :)

Interesting article Tincan. I suppose fuel efficiency is driven by economics (not the environment unfortunately). When oil hits $200, or $300 a barrel (it is around $100 now) there will be a greater clamour for fuel efficiency. That is, unless rising sea levels force politicians to get serious about adding carbon taxes, and gas prices rise that way....

Back