500+ Tires Pulled from the bottom of the Campbell River

crab bait

The 5th annual cleanup of the bottom of the Campbell River Estuary took place last month, put on by the Tyee Club of B.C.

We pulled another 238 tires off the bottom in one day (lots of stubby beer bottles, three cell phones and a $500 Chef's Knife). Our total is over 500 (think 25 storys of tires, if stacked up).

I've attached the link to the Tyee Club FB page. Click on the link and scroll down to the two minute video that was produce locally by Tremain Media, titled "Benath the Surface".

Funding came from the Campbell River Salmon Foudation, the Pacific Salmon Foundation and the Rotary Clubs of Campbell River amd the Comox Valley.

The tires have been used as "bumpers" on the docks of the estuary for the past 50+ years. When the nails rust off, or the wave action breaks them free, they sink to the bottom, out of sight/out of mind. A tire is missing off of your wharf, and you replace it, not knowing that is has sunken to thebottom, just out of site. I am willing to bet that every estuary on the BC coast, that has had industrial useage (like the Campbell), has exactly the same issue. How many are atthe mouth of the Nanaimo River? The Cowichan? The mouth of the Fraser?

No finger pointing, just trying to fix it. So far, we have covered matbe 1/5th of the estuary. An underwater survey showed us that we have a minimum of 188 more tires, in just 400 yards of shoreline (after pulling 500+).

Please watch the video and feel freeto share it.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/...club%20of%20bc

Thanks for your service to humanity. This is real meaningful eco supportive work. Pick a few pieces of garbage every day. People may laugh but it makes a big difference. And of course educating our kids to be better stewards than us.

I can't get the pictures to upload (yet), but we have picked a cube van or 2 of styro and trash off beachs at northeast pt, south.

We have had a program over here in Port Angeles for a few years now where they dive for lost crab and shrimp pots and lost fishing nets. Its amazing how much lost gear they come back with after each dive.

I think there are lots of underwater areas that can use some help. The above water areas on the Campbell River "Tyee Spit" look great. Walking trails and parkland. 50 ft away under the water is a garbage dump.

I encourage everyone to take a look at their local waterway. Not just the stream banks, but just out of site underwater. Thats where the fish live.

Back