5.9 cummins problems

C

catcher

Are there any diesel mechanics on here? My dodge is running rough and has a loss of power. Any ideas before I take it to the dealer?

Thanks

Question, when was the fuel filter last changed last?
Some 5.9s had a lifter pump issue.
Unless you are the mechanic checking this out we do not have much to go on. We would only be guessing and you know that is not good.
Do yourself a favor and take it to a diesel mechanic.
Hope that helps.:D:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I would guess either the lift pump has failed and now the injector pump has been damaged....or a bad injector(s)

Catcher, Is the poor running condition at idle or under load? do you have a boost pressure guage? Notice any difference in the exhaust smoke color/ odor?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I am a diesel mechanic and have worked on the B model Cummins over the years. Start off simple and check your basics. Air in (air filter) and fuel filters. When was your last service done including fuel filters? What year is your dodge? Is the engine chipped?

A common issue with the Cummins is lift pump failure which in time will take out the fuel injection pump. If you have your service work up to date and there is still and issue find a good diesel mechanic to troubleshoot the engine. Further tests like fuel pressure and boost will have to be checked to find the problem.

Reel Chaos

King Cod, Im a diesel mechanic as well, but mostly heavy duty and also marine, no automotive. Whats the reason behind the lift pump taking out the hp pump? Ive heard this before but have not been told why. I would guess airation? Also I have a b model cummins in a gen set that dies intermittantly. I havnt figured out the prob yet. It has murphay switches but cannot verify that one may be acting up, however, the last time it happened, I had to prime the injector lines to get it running which points to fuel starvation. Im thinking lift pump but it seems strong when I check it. Could it be sucking air intermittantly? Ideas?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I've been told that without the lift pump putting out its 5 to 7psi that the injector pump works to hard and is eventually damaged requiring it being rebuilt. I was also told the fix for this is to install the inside the fuel tank type pump which puts this problem to bed.

Hey guys,

So on Sunday I had the truck towed in to the dealer. After being towed in it ran perfectly fine for the mechanic on Monday morning! They think it is a VG Gasket? but are unsure, that would be about $750.00 So as for now nothing has been fixed. The error code was still present but they said a number of things could cause that. Just hoping to deal with it shortly before I'm stuck on the side of the road.

The truck is a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4. It is stock other than having k&n cold air intake and after market exhaust. I have only owned it for a few months so unsure when the fuel filter was done last. It seems funny that it would run so poorly than the a couple of days later to be perfectly fine. Currently it is running ok but not to keen on going to far from home with it. So I should start with a fuel filter? The truck has about 90,000kms

Thanks

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

King Cod, Im a diesel mechanic as well, but mostly heavy duty and also marine, no automotive. Whats the reason behind the lift pump taking out the hp pump? Ive heard this before but have not been told why. I would guess airation? Also I have a b model cummins in a gen set that dies intermittantly. I havnt figured out the prob yet. It has murphay switches but cannot verify that one may be acting up, however, the last time it happened, I had to prime the injector lines to get it running which points to fuel starvation. Im thinking lift pump but it seems strong when I check it. Could it be sucking air intermittantly? Ideas?

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

The Injection pump has to work harder as mentioned from another post. We would usually install a FASS pump/filtration system to fix and prevent the problem. The FASS system is a additional low psi pump and water separator system. The 2006 system uses a common rail injection system unlike the older inline and swash plate style pumps.

I no longer work on the little B models. I work on the ISC and ISB models in larger trucks.Cat and Detroit diesel as well. Bailey Western Star in CR :)

Reel Chaos

Is the fuel draining back IFL? Is there a check valve in the fuel system? It is possible you are getting air in the fuel on the primary side of the fuel system.

Reel Chaos

quote:Originally posted by King_Cod

Is the fuel draining back IFL? Is there a check valve in the fuel system? It is possible you are getting air in the fuel on the primary side of the fuel system.

Reel Chaos

The fuel tank is actually quite a bit higher than the unit. It goes into a Racor 900 then splits to feed the two gen sets, the other gen isnt a prob.
Im in CR too. I probably seen you at Bailys when Ive been in there getting parts, also my neighbor works there.. Micheal the apprentice. Dave.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I don't live to far from you IFL. I See your boat every time I drive home :D

Reel Chaos

Back