5.0 Merc/Bravo II leg

Labman2

Anyone have any experience with this combo?
I am picking up my new to me Zeta 24" Alaskan this week and this is what it is running for power.
I still have a couple of Yami 250 HPDI motors outback ( 1- 2004 300 hrs, 1- 2006 ? hours),not sure if I need to pod this right away or give the Merc. a go.

That Bravo drive is bulletproof and the 5.0 will be good on fuel. May be a little underpowered, maybe a 5.7 would be better but you will find out soon enough.

Just give the outdrive the standard maintenance (grease all the spots, and change the lube and impeller if over a year since it was done last). As for the inboard, my experience is it's been a lot of maintenance, but after a while it just becomes a routine and it's not a problem. If you're not used to inboard maintenance, it's worth studying the manual (shop manual that is) or get er tuned up by the mechanic.

Just give the outdrive the standard maintenance (grease all the spots, and change the lube and impeller if over a year since it was done last). As for the inboard, my experience is it's been a lot of maintenance, but after a while it just becomes a routine and it's not a problem. If you're not used to inboard maintenance, it's worth studying the manual (shop manual that is) or get er tuned up by the mechanic.

I believe a bravo 2 will have a jabsco type raw water pump with a thru hull pickup. If you attach rabbit ears to the leg and run it.. bye bye impellor. be careful.

Just got back from Nanaimo with the boat, turns out it's an Alpha 1, not sure if that makes much of a difference. The motor was upgraded also, it is running power steering and has a serpintine belt, I will get the numbers off of it and find out what it is.
A 2007 28' Tandem axle "Magnum" bunk trailer, the boat, with a 9.9 4 stroke Yamaha, it has a galvanized tin gas tank in the floor, has a leak in one of the seams, rip it out tomorrow and flange up a 3/16" or 1/4" aluminium tank for it. It's 34" x 30" x 12" deep, that should be about 40 - 45 U.S. gals.

Zeta.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back