4x4 trucks...

D

DaveyJones

What would you own for a 4x4, and why?

I'm looking to buy a small 4x4. Preferably v6 and under.

It will depend on what your need are. Small, light boat and no kids then a small truck will work. If you need the truck to pull a bigger/heavier boat then you will need a bigger truck/engine. Also small trucks are a pain with family, unless they are the newer 4 door models. And now days gas milage is not much better than the full size.

We used to have a 05 chev 4x4 and an 01 chev 4x4 plus a 92 Toyota 4x4. We still have the Toyota and bought a Honda CRV for a people mover. My Toyota has a V6 and pulls my 18' Searunner no problem, except long steep hills, then have to use the lower gears. It gets about 25-26 mpg and has 250000 km on her. Cancer is now starting to eat her away, but the drive train is solid.

If I had to buy another one, I would buy a Toyota or a Nissan.

I had a 1990 toyota with 400+km and it was still running strong. I've since sold that and bought a 2001 tacoma and love it. My vote is for toyota:D

No big boats for me, unless its aluminum (my last was 14ft, and I use to carry it with my 1990 Mazda B2200). I do want to be able to get into places where 2WD cant.

I'm leaning towards another Mazda, but no more 2wd. I currently own a Ford F150 4.9L inline 6, but the gas bill is too rich for me.

I am looking for a small 4x4, Mazda, toyota, S10/15, Nissan, etc. V6 or under..

More over, I'm interested in what other say about other trucks...

Thanks

Go for Toyota if you can find one.
I have a 1991 4x4 extra cab, V6 auto
great truck, reliable, a little hard on gas however.

You might want to consider Diesel power.My Cummins 5.9 gets better mileage than one of my hunting partners Mazda V6 4x4.

quote:Originally posted by Concerned Angler

If you are going to get a truck-- then get a truck. None of those wimpy rice burners that cant carry a load!!! [}:)]
check out the new Tundra, thats a serious truck and it won't break down every other weekend like a Dodge, GM, Ford [}:)]

If you are going to get a truck-- then get a truck. None of those wimpy rice burners that cant carry a load!!! [}:)]

Hmmmm, so how long does one of those under horse powered. gas guzzilin, Fixed Or Repaired Daily last???:D;)
Or have you got a newer one????[:0]:)

I might not be able to haul a load a crap around, but I know it will start everytime and get me where I want to go.[:p]

gotto love them intruders, eh?
sorry for the hijack
cheers

Naw-- SS I have MANLY truck now since we last got together. A Chebby 4x4 3/4 longbox rigged for carrying a camper and pulling my new 20ft Alumaweld Intruder !!!
GIT ER DONE!!!!!!! :D[:p]:D[^]

If you are looking for good gas mileage, I've been starting to look around - best newer for mileage is the Colorado or Tacoma...2004 and higher, then, you have to go down to 95/96 for next generation of better mileage...Mazda series and Tacoma...no idea what they were thinking from 97-2003...stats suck....

Anyhow..I have a 92 B2600I (for the mileage)...it does fine - hauls my aluminum boat fine, has got to the ferries in 17" of untouched snow (to Powell River), goes everywhere my Dakota could go, and carries as much rounds of wood as I can fit in the box (sure, not zip zip on a full load, but it gets there). If you don't care about muscle, don't waste your time with the big boys...15 mpg hits your wallet more more than 22 mpg does.

Just my take for a guy that sold a vehicle JUST because of the gas mileage (my Ford Exploder)...

Howdy DJ,

I'm with Frango on this one.

Buy a diesel! You can't beat the torque for climbing with a load and the milage is awesome.

If you're buying late model used or new, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge are all players.

If you're an economy/buget guy (like me) then find an older Ford or Dodge/Cummins.

I've got an old 6.9 Econoline for work and I just love it. She just turned 400/k and it still purrrrs.

My 2-bits.

Good Luck.
Terry

Hmmmmmmmmmm, looks like CA has finally let the cat out of the bag! New Alumaweld Intruder...... all I can say is that his wife must "luv him velly much". :) I wonder if this new acquisition has anything to do with the chat about catch reductions on salmon and halibut for 2008? I have a feeling we will all be seeing a "silver streak" this summer taking CA and OBD to the fishin grounds! :D:D My apology DJ, I didn't want to hijack your thread but I just couldn't resist! SS

Ok Back on topic.... I wont be looking at anything older than at least 10 years. Personally, I'll never own a new vehicle. Too many of them get recalled ::D:D:D:D

I currently own a 1994 Ford F150 with that Monster 300 CI inline 6. I love that 4" of stroke, and tons of bottom end torque. I work at Cypress, and when the weather is really ugly coming down, I drop it into 2nd and idle all the way down the hill, without touching the brakes.

However, the gas mileage SUCKS in a huge way. Costs me $15 p/day in gas return trip. To go from a 2.2L engine to a 4.9L Engine is too much of a shock..

My last truck was a Mazda, if it wasn't at the point of requiring an entire engine rebuild, I would be still driving it. I've been looking at early/mid 90's Ford rangers (dont fit my budget tho). Would love to get another Mazda (you can't kill them). Toyota's are WAY out of my range...

Oh hey CA, my old Mazda B2200, use to comfortably carry a 1500lb 1970's Frontiersman Camper, and I hauled 1100 lbs of drywall scrap to the dump, without issue :D:D

Whimpy ricer burners, I think not...

I bought a used 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 litre inline 6 and I love this truck. mileage is very good
The original SUV it has 230k on it and runs like it was new.
Most go over the 400k mark easily and it gets me everywhere.
Plus it tows my whaler anywhere I need it to go
gl choosing [8D]

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=18967

Cheers

SS

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

IF had money, I would want to own this FORD truck..

f650.jpg

1990 toyota pick up
V6
4 by 4
5 speed
114,000km
canopy winter studded tires and summer tires, both sets in really good shape.
No rust on truck. Been an awesome vehicle.
$7,900 send me pm for details

I will try to post picts tomorow, and can get a name and number if you are interested.

SS

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

1990 toyota pick up
V6
4 by 4
5 speed
114,000km
canopy winter studded tires and summer tires, both sets in really good shape.
No rust on truck. Been an awesome vehicle.
$7,900 send me pm for details

I will try to post picts tomorow, and can get a name and number if you are interested.

SS
I dont want another 6cyl. I already have an inline 6 in the ford...

I'm looking to buy a small 4x4. Preferably v6 and under

I am confused...If you do not want a V6 then why did you say you wanted V6 or under?

It is a V6 which should give you around 24-26 mpg, at least that is what I get.

SS

Back