40,000 escape

R

rico

Just heard on 1070 that 40,000 atlantic salmon escaped from a farm in the broughton. This is not good. Closed containment, no problem! Just another nail in the coffin, nets don't work!!

What a joke. If I imported a foreign fish species here and tried to introduce them I'd be charged in a heartbeat but these guys get away with this all the time.

One law for the common man and another for the rich.

quote:40,000 fish escape farm
Gillnetters near Sointula report catching Atlantic salmon
By Judith Lavoie, Times ColonistOctober 24, 2009
A recovery vessel working for a fish-farming company recovered about 1,100 escaped Atlantic salmon yesterday, and will continue working over the weekend to catch more of the estimated 40,000 escaped fish.

The salmon got out late Wednesday evening after crews, using a pump system and pipe, removed dead fish from the two pens at Port Elizabeth on Gilford Island, said Clare Backman, director of environmental relations for Marine Harvest Canada.

The fish died because of low oxygen levels in the water, a phenomenon that occurs intermittently in the area, Backman said. "It was during that process that a hole in the net occurred," he said.

But the recapture vessel was not able to start fishing until Thursday and by that time, gillnetters in areas such as Sointula, about 40 kilometres from the Broughton Archipelago, were reporting catches of Atlantic salmon.

"The response time really troubles me," said Chief Bob Chamberlin of the nearby Kwicksutaineuk-Ah-Kwaw-Ah-Mish band.

"One of the only reasons we found out was because a commercial fishery was going on and they were catching Atlantics."

Chamberlin, who is also secretary-treasurer of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, an organization that's pushing for more First Nations involvement as regulation of fish farms passes from the provincial to the federal government in February, said assurances from the industry that Atlantic salmon won't affect Pacific salmon have been proved wrong.

"Where are these fish landing? Are they going into our rivers?" Chamberlin asked.

Will Soltau, salmon-farm campaign co-ordinator for Living Oceans Society, said despite initial assurances that Atlantic salmon could not survive or breed in B.C. waters, escaped farm fish have been found in 80 B.C. rivers. Populations of juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in three rivers, including the Tsitika, in the same area as the latest escape.

"This demonstrates, once again, the urgent need to transition all open net-cage farms to closed containment systems," Soltau said. "This will be a major financial loss to the company and another blow to the health of our marine ecosystems and wild-salmon population."

Marine Harvest has been responsible for several major escapes in the last two years, but instead of moving to closed containment, the company puts Band-Aids -- such as improving net strength -- on 20th century technology, Soltau said.

However, Backman said most escaped Atlantic salmon either starve or are eaten by seals and sea lions.

The escape will cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars, since the fish weighed an average of 4.7 kilograms and were ready to be harvested, he said.

"We don't have a full count yet of the number of fish which escaped, but the loss will be significant."

The escape was immediately reported to government and a company investigation is underway, Backman said.

Until this week's incident, Marine Harvest had seen only 19 escaped fish this year, he said.

Escapes in the B.C. salmon-farming industry shrank to minimal numbers between 2003 and 2007, but shot up last year when more than 100,000 fish escaped, out of an annual total production of more than 35 million.

jlavoie@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Illegal introduction of a foreign species, illegal catch of pink salmon which made it into the pens...
Fish farms are guilty in so many ways.
Almost as guilty as the DFO for not inforcing the law.

Tips

The biggest joke is the so called concern for recreational boaters transporting weeds on their boats to weed free lakes, bullfrogs invading local lakes etc etc...and yet the government turns it head at 40,000 of an invasive species escaping. Talk about a double standard!!! I guess if they can find away to make sushi out of bullfrog legs wrapped in lake weeds they will drop their concern for those too.

Bullfrogs and weeds do not buy votes.[^]

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Cuba Libre

quote:40,000 fish escape farm
Gillnetters near Sointula report catching Atlantic salmon
By Judith Lavoie, Times ColonistOctober 24, 2009
A recovery vessel working for a fish-farming company recovered about 1,100 escaped Atlantic salmon yesterday, and will continue working over the weekend to catch more of the estimated 40,000 escaped fish.

The salmon got out late Wednesday evening after crews, using a pump system and pipe, removed dead fish from the two pens at Port Elizabeth on Gilford Island, said Clare Backman, director of environmental relations for Marine Harvest Canada.

The fish died because of low oxygen levels in the water, a phenomenon that occurs intermittently in the area, Backman said. "It was during that process that a hole in the net occurred," he said.

But the recapture vessel was not able to start fishing until Thursday and by that time, gillnetters in areas such as Sointula, about 40 kilometres from the Broughton Archipelago, were reporting catches of Atlantic salmon.

"The response time really troubles me," said Chief Bob Chamberlin of the nearby Kwicksutaineuk-Ah-Kwaw-Ah-Mish band.

"One of the only reasons we found out was because a commercial fishery was going on and they were catching Atlantics."

Chamberlin, who is also secretary-treasurer of the Union of B.C. Indian Chiefs, an organization that's pushing for more First Nations involvement as regulation of fish farms passes from the provincial to the federal government in February, said assurances from the industry that Atlantic salmon won't affect Pacific salmon have been proved wrong.

"Where are these fish landing? Are they going into our rivers?" Chamberlin asked.

Will Soltau, salmon-farm campaign co-ordinator for Living Oceans Society, said despite initial assurances that Atlantic salmon could not survive or breed in B.C. waters, escaped farm fish have been found in 80 B.C. rivers. Populations of juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in three rivers, including the Tsitika, in the same area as the latest escape.

"This demonstrates, once again, the urgent need to transition all open net-cage farms to closed containment systems," Soltau said. "This will be a major financial loss to the company and another blow to the health of our marine ecosystems and wild-salmon population."

Marine Harvest has been responsible for several major escapes in the last two years, but instead of moving to closed containment, the company puts Band-Aids -- such as improving net strength -- on 20th century technology, Soltau said.

However, Backman said most escaped Atlantic salmon either starve or are eaten by seals and sea lions.

The escape will cost the company hundreds of thousands of dollars, since the fish weighed an average of 4.7 kilograms and were ready to be harvested, he said.

"We don't have a full count yet of the number of fish which escaped, but the loss will be significant."

The escape was immediately reported to government and a company investigation is underway, Backman said.

Until this week's incident, Marine Harvest had seen only 19 escaped fish this year, he said.

Escapes in the B.C. salmon-farming industry shrank to minimal numbers between 2003 and 2007, but shot up last year when more than 100,000 fish escaped, out of an annual total production of more than 35 million.

jlavoie@tc.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

The company will not be out any finacial loss, except their premiums will go up a bit.

The insurance adjusters had alrady been there and gone before the Fisheries Inspectors had arrived. First things first I guess[:0].

It was pretty interesting on Friday. There was 4 seine boats there but only one was allowed to sein for fish, as DFO has to give permission to use a certain type of net to capture of the fish. The rest were waiting to take on the morts, est. at 50 tons in weight. The morts, if in good shape, which they seem to be, will be rendered down for food and fish oil.

Another interesting fact is that all the sein boats are ownwed by FN. They do a lot of the work in transporting the fish.

The loss will not be that bad when it is all over, but the sad part is the fish that will be swimming around that do not belong here.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Union of BC Indian Chiefs, 27th October 2009

PRESS RELEASE
October 27, 2009

Calling on DFO Minister Shea, End the Silence

The UBCIC calls upon the Federal Department of Fisheries and Oceans
(DFO) Minister Gail Shea to get on with the pressing work at hand of
developing new Fish Farm regulations with First Nations. The court
mandated deadline of February 10, 2010 is fast approaching and the
silence from Minister Shea's office is completely unacceptable.

The BC First Nations Fisheries Council and First Nation Aquaculture
Working Group are ready to begin this critical work and are supported by
Union of BC Indian Chiefs (UBCIC), First Nations Summit and the BC
Assembly of First Nations resolutions. The proposed developmental
framework features engagement of First Nations that have Fish Farms
actively operating within their territories.

The recent escape of an estimated 40,000 Atlantic salmon, from a Marine
Harvest Canada Fish Farm at Port Elizabeth in the Broughton Archipelago
certainly underlines the great urgency for closed containment technology
to be quickly embraced, developed and implemented. This is consistent
with the Special Legislative Committee on Sustainable Aquaculture and
the Pacific Salmon Forums final reports.

Furthermore, the UBCIC insists that Minister Shea immediately convey to
the BC Ministry of Agriculture and Lands that any provincial expansions
on existing licenses or issuance of new Fish Farms will effectively
poison the work environment in developing these new Fish Farm
Regulations.

Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, UBCIC President stated "The deafening
silence from Minister Shea, at a time when leadership is most needed, is
very upsetting. First Nations are organized, mandated and ready to
address this extremely time-sensitive issue, it appears Minister Shea is
not."

For further comment contact:
Chief Bob Chamberlin, UBCIC Secretary-Treasurer First Nation Aquaculture
Working Group Chair
Cell: (778) 988 9282

http://www.marketwire.com/press-release/Union-Of-British-Columbia-Indian-Chiefs-1066369.html

This is Odd Gryelands response to this.

He used to own or manage his own farm in 1985, got bought-out by Heritage Salmon, became one of their management, Manager of Noram Aquaculture, got going on an aquaculture PR firm (Odd Grydeland Consulting), is a 'journalist' for Fish Farming Xpert, past president (circa 2002) of the B.C.Salmon Farmers Association, got himself situated as a blocker on a number of boards (such as the Science Council - now Innovation BC, and the Aquaculture Research and Development Committee and the Pacific Committee of the Aquaculture Collaborative Research and Development Program (ACRDP)) that target monies for DFO and other researchers to look at industry impacts...
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Fish Farming Xpert, 27th October 2009

Farm fish escape creates furor

Canada: Some 40,000 Atlantic salmon swim out through hole in net at Broughton farm.
Odd Grydeland

The reaction to news that Atlantic salmon was on the loose in British Columbia was predictable, with industry critics calling for a transition of traditional salmon farms to some form of closed containment structures, presumably able to avoid fish escaping. Marine Harvest Canada last Friday issued a Press Release, confirming that the company had reported a loss of Atlantic salmon from its farm site in Port Elizabeth, a small inlet off Knight Inlet on the south end of the Broughton Archipelago. The holes in the two nets affected were found during the removal of fish that had perished during a period of low oxygen in the water column. So not only did the company lose fish to environmental conditions, but another million dollars worth of harvest-size fish swam away, with little chance for the recovery vessel employed to catch the run-away to round up large numbers of the escapees.

Media reports following the event paid little attention to the large loss for the company, but rather focused on hypothetical negative effects on wild fish stocks. There has probably been close to a million Atlantic salmon lost from fish farms in the Pacific Northwest (Washington State & B.C.) over the years, and they are nowhere to be found a year or so following the escape event. Add to that the 8.5 million Atlantic salmon deliberately planted in various B.C. waterways by government agencies trying to get the fish established here for sport fishing purposes, and the chances of these fish taking over salmon spawning streams seem pretty slim. The fact that Atlantic salmon can not reproduce with Pacific salmon adds to the justification of using Atlantic salmon for farming in this region. It is a shame that more of these fish are not grown in British Columbia, when health-conscious customers south of the border are ready and willing to buy more and more of them.

http://www.fishfarmingxpert.com/index.php?page_id=76&article_id=86140

I am sobbing crocodile tears for his damned losses. Let him go to Norway for sympathy. My symphathy lies between shidt and syphillis in the dictionary.:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Odd forgot to mention that most farms insure their fish against loss.

So, they may NOT be out of making profits over this loss of fish...

Vancouver Sun, 28th October 2009

Escaped farmed salmon can hunt prey, biologist says

Smolt found in stomach of Atlantic salmon believed to indicate danger for the wild variety

By Judith Lavoie, Canwest News Service

A wild Pacific salmon smolt found in the stomach of an Atlantic salmon on the lam shows escaped farm fish are capable of hunting prey, says a prominent critic of fish farms.

The smolt was found in the stomach of one of an estimated 40,000 fish that escaped last week from fish-farming company Marine Harvest Canada's Port Elizabeth farm in the Broughton Archipelago.

Biologist Alexandra Morton said she examined the stomachs of 20 escapers and at least one had been hunting during its two days on the loose.

"It was a 12-pound male Atlantic and it also had some other fish in its intestine," Morton said.

It's extremely unusual for a farm fish to hunt, according to Clare Backman, Marine Harvest director of environmental operations.

"It is certainly outside our experience. Our fish are cued in on little brown pellets," Backman said.

Morton said the 12-pound Atlantic was caught two days after the Marine Harvest fish escape and was 40 kilometres away in the company of several other farmed salmon.

"For farm fish in the wild environment, we always hear the biggest hurdle is eating wild food, but this does make you think this fish had experience capturing live prey," she said.

It is a worry, not only because of escaped fish catching wild smolts at a time of year when there are few around, but also because it suggests farm fish are eating wild fish attracted to farm pens by lights and food, said Morton, who this summer collected evidence of wild juvenile salmon, black cod, rock cod and herring in pens.

"Marine Harvest told me that, even if they get in there, their fish don't eat them. But if this fish can do this, I believe they will eat the wild fish in the pens," she said.

Andrew Thomson, department of fisheries and oceans regional aquaculture director, said research he conducted several years ago found fewer than five per cent of Atlantic salmon had prey in their stomachs when caught.

The average for Pacific salmon is 75 to 80 per cent, Thomson said.

"So it seems Atlantic salmon do feed on prey less successfully," he said, adding that researchers often found wood and bark, which resembled pellets, in the stomachs.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/to...n+hunt+prey+biologist+says/2153744/story.html

What are you suggesting Agent? That they reelased them for the insurance money? Accusing someone of fraud? You had better be careful with such wild accusations and / or insinuations.

Anyways, insurance pays what the fish cost to raise to the point of the loss, but only if the loss is larger than the deductible limit. I would doubt that the number in this case is high enough for a claim.

Further, the escape just happened. DFO will investigate, and probabaly will lay charges. I say probably because I cannot speak for DFO. I think IMO that they should be charged, made to demonstrate what steps they are taking to prevent a recurrence, and should be made to compensate wild salmon habitat in some way.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

What are you suggesting Agent? That they reelased them for the insurance money? Accusing someone of fraud? You had better be careful with such wild accusations and / or insinuations.

Anyways, insurance pays what the fish cost to raise to the point of the loss, but only if the loss is larger than the deductible limit. I would doubt that the number in this case is high enough for a claim.

Further, the escape just happened. DFO will investigate, and probabaly will lay charges. I say probably because I cannot speak for DFO. I think IMO that they should be charged, made to demonstrate what steps they are taking to prevent a recurrence, and should be made to compensate wild salmon habitat in some way.

I thought MOE did the investigations and determined if there is a fine or nor. If not then why did the Fisheries Inspectors show up last Friday and conduct an investigation? Never saw DFO out there that day.

Also, the insurance people were there for the 50 tons of morts plus the escaped fish, so I think the loss should be above the deductable.

Good idea on the fines.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

Fact is they escaped they should get f### hammered if anyone else "introduced" a foreign species to ANYwaterway they would be hung by the you know whats !!!!!
but this is ok???? we have a very gutless society and government to think this is OK do we wait and do once again another study????
good god what are we coming to.....

Wolf

Come on now Sockeye, you are stabbing in the dark.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:
I thought MOE did the investigations and determined if there is a fine or nor. If not then why did the Fisheries Inspectors show up last Friday and conduct an investigation? Never saw DFO out there that day.
I think you're right, SS. Were you at the farm last Friday?
Whether DFO or MoE I'm not holding my breath waiting for either one to lay a charge. DFO has done nothing</u> to enforce the Fisheries Act and charge these guys when they twice got caught and admitted to illegal possession of wild resources since June. Citizens like Alexandra Morton are doing DFO's job to protect wild resources and laying charges themselves. For this, I applaud her bravery.

BTW, The number of escapes over the years is more like 1.578 million since '87. I suppose Odd was close in his under-estimation. He could have easily found the numbers from the government link before writing his piece.
http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/escape/escape_reports.htm
Another example of his shoddy journalism.

And those escapes do get caught all over the place years later. As far away as Alaska where they are considered an invasive species and a high priority threat.
http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/invasive/invasive.php
They keep track and post details on the numbers caught. Over 600 recoveries here;
http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/as/docs/atlantic_salmon1994-2002.pdf
Just try to get info like that from DFO.

quote:
I think you're right, SS. Were you at the farm last Friday?
Whether DFO or MoE I'm not holding my breath waiting for either one to lay a charge. DFO has done nothing</u> to enforce the Fisheries Act and charge these guys when they twice got caught and admitted to illegal possession of wild resources since June. Citizens like Alexandra Morton are doing DFO's job to protect wild resources and laying charges themselves. For this, I applaud her bravery.

BTW, The number of escapes over the years is more like 1.578 million since '87. I suppose Odd was close in his under-estimation. He could have easily found the numbers from the government link before writing his piece.
http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/fisheries/escape/escape_reports.htm
Another example of his shoddy journalism.

And those escapes do get caught all over the place years later. As far away as Alaska where they are considered an invasive species and a high priority threat.
http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/invasive/invasive.php
They keep track and post details on the numbers caught. Over 600 recoveries here;
http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/special/as/docs/atlantic_salmon1994-2002.pdf
Just try to get info like that from DFO.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Oh, you WANT "insinuations", then.

Okay. How about if that harvest cohort that was about to be harvested, was diseased? They wouldn't get full $$$ from the processor/distributer then. Right?

Maybe even have to pay to get them properly disposed of then, right?

What then if a hole was "accidently" cut in the nets by a farm diver - er, I mean by a seal, or even from an "unavoidable" accident like running a barge into the netting?

Would they get full market $$$ from their insurance company then?

Maybe, eh?

What then if release of diseased fish was more damaging to wild stocks then the release of non-diseased farm stock?

Does DFO charge them?

No?

Hmmm. Seems strange, does it not?

This is all, of course "hypothetical", and refers to no individual company or individual - because, as we all know - all fish farms and farm managers are above board.

And we know this NOT because we have independent 3rd party observers on the sites like is required by DFO in other industries like commercial fishing and/or environmental monitors in the heavy construction trades - BUT because we have the industry's word on this.

Back