4-stroke Outboards

scott craven

I usually change my motor oil & filter twice a year and the lower unit lube once a year.
My 1999 Honda 50 hp doesn't have an hour meter, so it's kind of a guessing game as to how many hours on each oil change.
One thing for sure, it's not burning oil because it's always full.
How often do the rest of you change oil in your 4-stroke outboard ?

Yami 115 - Oil every 100hrs, plugs annually, leg every 2 years, impeller 4yrs, racor annually. She's never let me down.

Oil is cheap, I usually change the oil in my kicker every month to 6 weeks, the lower unit 2 times a year, and my main engine every 40-50 hours (I/O), and the leg oil 2 times a year. Fuel and water seperater every 6 months. I am a bit anal about servicing:) and I run synthetic fluids

Every 150hrs, 250 Yami's. Just started reading a book on outboard mechanics, as I know how the boat works real well and how to fix it, but the engines not as much so, and ya can never be too safe out there, especially when you have people's lives in your hands. Plus, always been a firm believer that if you treat the boat/engines well, they will return the favour.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

Do you guys use special marine motor oil or just buy the standard car motor oil at Canadian Tire?

I would look at the manufacturer's oil and the standards on the side of the container and use these as a guide to select the oil.:)

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by chris73

Do you guys use special marine motor oil or just buy the standard car motor oil at Canadian Tire?

Honda 10-40 was 8.50 litre at S&G ....
i have a hard time believing it's any better than Castrol gtx
which is what i used.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Honda 10-40 was 8.50 litre at S&G ....
i have a hard time believing it's any better than Castrol gtx
which is what i used.

I have always used the Yamaha product, formulated for the marine environment.

Use the special outboard oil. Car motor oils (especialy canadian tire and other cheap crap) are not formulated with the proper detergents,dispersants and other additives for a marine enviroment. They also break down real fast with the much higher rev's an outboard engine produces constantly in comparison to your vehicle's consistently lower RPM.

Proper Oil = Longer outboard life

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I have always used the Yamaha product, formulated for the marine environment.
I change my Oil, (50 Hrs or so) 115 Hp Yami and I always use Yamaha Products.
That is what they call for so us them....

Old S.D.

I change my oil and leg oil once per year. I don't put enough hours on it to worry about doing it every 50, 100 or 150 hours. I would be surprised if I put 50 hours/year on my main. I should keep track next year. I suppose my kicker hours rack up to over 100 though.

Anyways last year I did my oil change in the spring but some people reccomend doing it in the fall before winter storage. I wonder what is best if your doing it once per year? I thought in the spring just before I start using the boat lots so there is brand new oil for the summer but maybe it is best to have clean oil in there when the engine is sitting most of the winter and only getting used a few times. Thoughts?

Best to change at the end of the season, if you're only doing it once per year. They say the oil accumulates contaminantss during use. Best to not have the dirty oil sitting in the engine all off season. some claim this can cause damage.
I don't know if that's true, but better safe than sorry.

Back