4 blade prop

CIVANO

I have been told that changing to a 4 blade prop will get the boat on plane quicker and stay on plane at a lower RPM. You loose a little top end. I have been fighting following seas out of Renfrew and woundered if any of you have tried the 4 blade.

That is what I did to mine. You don't need top speed as much as you need cruise speed.

IMG_1445.jpg

"Another option in boat propeller is the number of blades, three or four. The difference, in a nutshell, is speed and performance. A three-blade propeller is capable of the fastest speeds but doesn't perform so well during hard turns. A four-blade propeller produces better handling at lower speeds and in turns, but tends to propel a boat just a bit slower."

unless you are over powered it is going to be hard to beat that following sea home those waves are going 27-30mph. But i know what you are talking about it was very frustrating.

I love sufring those big rollers home, I like it when I can angle just right and rip down the sides of them at breakneck speeds! If you do it just right you can ride it for a while.I had a 90+ yr old guest from Germany who just loved standing up beside me when I surfed em big ones home.

Take only what you need.

Thanks Wolf but I have a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke. Have you had good experiences with a 4 blade?

For my boat it works great as I had troubles being on a pod I tried about 7 different props and it worked the best its a heck of a lot of money to just buy props last time I checked a SS prop was close to a grand which is dumb. Lucky Don at WESt isle let me try so many different types and his knowledge is great highly recommend him.

Good luck

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I have a Yamaha 225 Four stroke. My hole shot wasn't the best and the overload sensor would kill power temporarily. ( I had a few more people aboard than normal) The guys at Sherwood convinced me to swap to a saltwater series stainless blade. Can't quite remember the pitch off hand . They'd be able to tell you the specs for your particular motor though. At about $1000.00 for a new prop I just about had a heart atttack. Turned out they gave me a good price for my stock prop. So for six hundred bucks the boat acts entirely differant. I swear, I could easily pull a skier no problem . Hole shot is amazing! My 24' Striper is a new beast

Props make a huge differance.

switched from a three blade 19 pitch to a four blade 17 pitch and cannot believe the difference.....four blade offer better fuel ecomonmy better hole shot and better handling while turning. this is one a 25 ft 5000 lb wellcraft coastal walkaround with a 250 e-tec

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

switched from a three blade 19 pitch to a four blade 17 pitch and cannot believe the difference.....four blade offer better fuel ecomonmy better hole shot and better handling while turning. this is one a 25 ft 5000 lb wellcraft coastal walkaround with a 250 e-tec

4 blade props usually eat more fuel so if you got better fuel economy...you're doing very well.

From my experiences propping boats... if your boat is underpowered..a 4 blade definitely helps matters...it will allow you to stay up on plane at lower revs and give you better holeshot.

I'm running 3 Blade Enertias now...if your boat is high powered to the max, get the Enertias...they're absolutely wicked and worth the money....good for cruising and when you get on it...it's like adding more 10 percent or more horsepower...depending on your boat, it's a totally different animal. GPS picked up over 3 mph on the top end from my aluminums and gained 1.75 at cruise.

Don't cheap out on your prop...all props are NOT equal--ie lesser brands or "knock offs". Don't buy cheapo stuff either....and beware of many of these "prop shops" who are wanting to sell you at reduced prices, "looks good" doesn't equal "performs great". Prop repair and remanufacturing is a lost art and many of the guys can make it look good..but at a cost of performance because it's all in the blades.

quote:Originally posted by fishingbc

4 blade props usually eat more fuel so if you got better fuel economy...you're doing very well.

From my experiences propping boats... if your boat is underpowered..a 4 blade definitely helps matters...it will allow you to stay up on plane at lower revs and give you better holeshot.

I'm running 3 Blade Enertias now...if your boat is high powered to the max, get the Enertias...they're absolutely wicked and worth the money....good for cruising and when you get on it...it's like adding more 10 percent or more horsepower...depending on your boat, it's a totally different animal. GPS picked up over 3 mph on the top end from my aluminums and gained 1.75 at cruise.

Don't cheap out on your prop...all props are NOT equal--ie lesser brands or "knock offs". Don't buy cheapo stuff either....and beware of many of these "prop shops" who are wanting to sell you at reduced prices, "looks good" doesn't equal "performs great". Prop repair and remanufacturing is a lost art and many of the guys can make it look good..but at a cost of performance because it's all in the blades.

If you have deep pockets and run your boat flat out you will see a bit better economy. With the four blade prop you sacrifice a bit on the top end to get a better hole shot and cruise range. Often with a four blade prop you have to drop a pitch because you get that better bite.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

If you have deep pockets and run your boat flat out you will see a bit better economy. With the four blade prop you sacrifice a bit on the top end to get a better hole shot and cruise range. Often with a four blade prop you have to drop a pitch because you get that better bite.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Back