4.3LV6 Alpha 1 LX 175hp, on a Campion 215 Victoria (aka 622), engine questions.

Olde School

Done my due diligence on forums here and haven't found this answered...

Our 1994 4.3LV6 Alpha 1 LX 175hp, on a Campion 215 Victoria (aka 622), has a repaired starter mount tab on the block.
It makes an awful sound when the starter is turning but so far, after 25 hours on the repair, it starts well every time.
We were told that the tab repair might have left the starter slightly out of alignment.

Looking into the future, we want to be ready if the tab repair fails, or starts chewing up ring gears or starters.
Options we are considering:
Buy block and swap all parts - cheap but time intensive
Buy crate motor and install, then need to decide MPI or carb?

Thoughts, anyone?
Also, where should we go to buy a new engine or block? Only tried ebay so far.

Podding is simply way too expensive on this $20K boat.

Thanks in advance.

Have you checked that the starter is aligned. Buddies is about a 2000 and when the starter is in position it has a shoulder that lines it up. It sounds like you may have a problem with the starter (ie how did the mount get broken?) and is the starter gear bent?

The Starter may need shiming as well, the starter pinion gear and ring gear should have approx .020-040 clearance
with the starter gear fully engaged into flywheel, if its too tight or too loose it will make lots of noise,
this is going to be very difficult tho in that boat, it would be alot easier to pull the engine,
I have the same and had to change the starter and it was a real pain, either way the motor will eventually have to come out
have a better look at it then.

Repaired started mount tab on the block??

I had the same engine in a 1994 Campion 622 and when I change my starter I was sure that the starter bolted directly to the engine block with two long bolts. No shims

The pinion gear and the ring gear must not be lining up, maybe the ring gear is screwed and has to be changed. That means pulling the engine but not as much work as changing everything over to a new block

I'd take the tab (?) off, bolt the starter directly to the block and try turning it over.

The starter finally stopped turning the motor on Friday.
A quick trip to LA in PA and found that bolts were loose enough to have bent.
They replaced bolts and it sounds and starts great now!
Very frustrating to think that mechanic who pulled engine and replaced starter in the fall, after a $2K plus invoice, likely didn' torque those bolts.
Anyhow, dad can fish again, and we have found a trustworthy shop!
Fingers crossed that this is solved.

Back